Star Wars The Last Jedi

• I'm going to see it tomorrow night, it opens in Canada and the UK on the 14th for some reason, the USA on the 15th.

The first movie I can remember going to was when I was 4, the first Star Wars, my father took me to it, and bought me the Xwing Fighter toy with the Luke Skywalker figure, that had a little lightsaber in the arm you could move back and forth. The city he was posted in then had this old school theater, and its balcony was closed to the public due to disrepair, but they always let the cops up there, and I have vague memories of being up there, but that could be in later years as we moved away when I was 8, but I'd seen many movies up there with my pop. Hard to believe it's been 40 years.

Reviews are pretty good such as they are so far, it's 2 and a half hours long too.

• 2.5 hours?!

Better find an AMC with reserved seating.

https://www.amctheatres.com/reserved-seating

I'm off until next year starting Tuesday, hope to see a few movies.

Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

I disagree but I respect your right to be stupid.

Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

• Phatzo We have Gold Class cinemas over here, dunno if you guys have them but they beat the shit out of shitty little cinemas.

https://www.eventcinemas.com.au/GoldClass

You can identify an unknown force by firing one shot and judging the response.

- If the unknowns respond with precise, regimented rifle fire, they are British.

- If they respond with heavy machinegun fire, they are German.

- If nothing happens for a few minutes, then your whole position gets leveled by artillery, they are American.

- If they surrender, they're French.

:littlered

• Some places deliver food. The AMC we went to in Atlanta had recliners and reserved seating.

I'm buying a pair of theatre seats for the house this year and moving the big screen out of the living room. I was really impressed with the comfort and functionality. Blue Ray disc is still cheaper than 2 tickets.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

• I did that a few times, the extra cash was nice, now I stay away unless I have a project.

• I've seen it 2x now.

Like I said, my earliest memories are of my father and ep4, and him buying me the toys from the film. I do vividly remember Empire Strikes Back, the 2 uncles that took me, and how much they loved it. I still have the Mad Magazine "The Empire Strikes Out" somewhere, and the Time Magazine of the Falklands with the "Empire Strikes Back" title, hah. I also remember that Empire wasn't widely accepted are all that well received by many fans and critics, yet over the years has become 85% of SW fans "top of the list" in terms of ranking the films and stories. I think maybe this film will suffer that fate, and be loved later on, as there is a TON of criticism happening.

I liked it, and hated parts of it. Part of me wishes they took Luke in a different direction, but I do really like and understand what they did in this one. Spoiler here, the only one -

I thought the light saber(s) fight in Snoke's throne room was fantastic, watching 2 Jedi, or at least 1 Jedi and one Sith Lord (maybe) taking on 10 Praetorian guards armed with lightsaber crystal powered weapons = so much win. Some of the space battles were great too, even with the gravity and other errors, SWs has always required suspension of belief when it came to physics and world building, and I'm happy to do it.

• Let me know what you think MF, I'm really interested to hear your (and others here) take on it. Ignore the negatives out there, I'm sure you'll enjoy enough of it to find it well worth seeing, probably more than once. That's how I feel right now, taking the bad with all the good, and just the cinematography is worth it, there aren't enough superlatives to describe what this film looks like.

• Gawd some of y'all are young.

1st movie I remember seeing in a Theater was Pinocchio.

‘If you’re not a liberal when you’re 25, you have no heart. If you’re not a conservative by the time you’re 35, you have no brain.’

No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot - Mark Twain

TWAT on 10/14/2019 :

Lemme say that again... I don't care. If. The accusations against Trump. Are factual. Or not.

• Bronk, not nearly as much as I expected. I mean, sure, the main character is a girl who can fight with men and hold her own (bs in the real world), but she is a force sensitive, so it's not completely ridiculous. The new Rose Tico Asian character obviously was a "girl power" insert IMO, but they didn't overdo it and make it ridiculous.

Overall, I've seen other films that had tons more SJW both in subtext and just overtly out there. Kathleen Kennedy who runs the show for SW at Disney now (formally of LucasFilms/arts/whatever), has been accused of being a SJW/uber feminist, but to me, she could be making things much worse. There are signs she IS trending towards it more and more, I mean the most recent animated shorts were ALL about female only characters, intentionally. I suppose we'll just have to see, but I do think that although they WANT to move SW in a more SJW direction, they also realize that if the push that too far, they risk losing many of their bread and butter fans who have been in it since the start.

• Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

• Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

• Lots of Vader reference too still in this film, even more than the last one, The Force Awakens. I still feel one of the best SW scenes of all time is the last sequence in Rogue One with Vader mowing through all the Rebels on Admiral Raduss's ship. Gave a true sense I felt of just how powerful and merciless Vader was. The rebel he pinned to the roof using the force, and then killed with an overhand/backwards lightsaber swing after walking past him, has got to be the best lightsaber clip of all time. When I saw Rogue One in the theater you couldn't even hear yourself think during that 2 minute sequence, what with the entire theater freaking out and cheering. Cheering, for Vader. Awesome.

• Don't watch this if you don't watch spoilers, but it's a great take on the SJW-itus that has infected Star Wars.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!