New Knives forged, finishing and finished.

• OH YEAH That is exactly what I was talking about!

The paring knife I have is on the counter all the time. it gets used for everything including cutting a fast food burger in half to share... I don't always clean and dry it perfectly... I do keep it VERY sharp... so sharp I have to warn people. Sooooo.... a hint maybe. I keep some 1000 grit wet dry sandpaper on the counter If I get a stain I can 'polish' it off pretty quickly.

My daughter will be here the 22nd and I will give her a choice of which of my laser knives she wants.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• The stains you get are called Magnetite, and actually protect the steel better than the bare polished steel. Having a good patina on a high carbon knife is a badge of honor to most professional chef's. You can polish it off, if you want, but it'll be a lot of work over the long run, and it'll be better to to let it happen.

• Great work as per usual Dannes. My next knives from you will be some kitchen stuff, customs has the 3 clinch picks so i should get them mid/end of next week.

I put a mirror edge on the WW2 USN fighting knife using first my Onion Work Sharp flat blade grinder attachment, then finished it up with my fine/ultra fine Spyderco stones, then stropped it really well. It's hair shaving sharp, and then some, again, my favorite knife right now. The file/dagger I have left I'm going to to the same sharpening job/technique tonight. I mean they both came pretty damn sharp, but everyone always likes to top up their own stuff anyhow right.

• Actually bluing on guns is called 'rust blue' because.... well..... it is rust. The old guns (think brown Bess) were actually just allowed to rust and the rust carded down. It left a brown finish.

lazs

• Actually bluing on guns is called 'rust blue' because.... well..... it is rust. The old guns (think brown Bess) were actually just allowed to rust and the rust carded down. It left a brown finish.

lazs

Gun Blue isn't food safe. And I've experimented with forcing a patina on knives. Basically putting the knives in boiling vinegar to blacken the metal. But it doesn't result in Magnetite. While it does leave a decent finish for a general purpose knife, it wears and washes off on a kitchen knife relatively quick.

There is no way to make a patinaed kitchen knife other than to earn it.

• Ok... I just got my two 'red epoxy' knives! They are great. the color is actually more a of red/brown but nice. I had asked for one about an inch longer than the blue one but the same style. I felt it would be a 'do all' knife..... I expected one but he sent two! one of em is maybe a quarter inch or so longer than the other. I think these are perfect size. The 1911 grip is there for size compare.... For the gay guys here who don't actually own a 1911 I also put a quarter there too.

lazs

epoxy.JPG

• Very nice Lazs. Always have liked that blue one you got from the first pics. Some kitchen stuff will be my next order as well.

I just got 3 knives in last night from Dannes, one with the rubber/rubberized handle he made for one of the Clinch Picks he built me. They are so fantastic, pictures truly don't do them justice (ya ya I know, everyone always says this). The sheathes he made me are fantastic too, having soft/supple leather instead of kydex on my belt at the front horizontally has already made a big difference. The quality of the work across the board is worth every cent. I'm going to post a short review of them in a new thread, and probably grab some of the knives from my collection too and review/show some of them as well, maybe in small groups of 30 or so at a time. I just got a couple new Medfords, a Shirogorov, and some Hoback knives to show, this week as well.

Dannes knives are really, really great, I hope more guys on this forum and everywhere else will be able to help support his work, the Clinch Picks he has left over are probably the most effective small defense knife you can carry, particularly while seated in a car - everywhere else too -, a place where we all spend a majority of our time when out in public.

• Oddly.... any of the kitchen knives I got would work as a fighting knife! besides being razer sharp they are thick. They are as thick as a folder or fighting knife and not just the spine. They also have a notch that would keep your slippery hand from sliding forward onto the sharp blade.

Here they are with a 'converted' Buck 110 (don't ask)

lazs

compare.JPG

• What the latest knives look like to me took a little but... I realize.. they look much like the skinning knives that Buffalo hunters took with them. you did not want a really long knife or a thin blade like a fish knife.

I think a person could have a very good kitchen set with at least 2 of the three I have plus one larger one in the 10" range. wide enough to work as a cleaver but not really. I have a good German knife that is 14" and an almost perfect shape but no one uses it cause it it too big.

lazs

• Yep... one could make a lifetime kitchen set out of just 4 of them or maybe 5

I have a cast iron fry pan... large... that is more than 80 years old. Nothing compares. I will pass it down along with these knives.. I also bought a knife sharpener... a two or three pass one made in Germany. Not everyone can use a 'steel' but anyone can use this. Two passes and it falls through a ripe tomato or other thing like an onion.

Cost wise..... yes... they are expensive. rightly so. but I paid almost as much for a couple of 'cutco' knives that are serrated... You can't sharpen them. Sure they will sharpen em for you... just call the number and someone will get back to you sometime and sharpen em.

I am not unhappy with the cutco but if you buy one? buy the cheese/veggie slicer.. that is unique. You can make very thin slices without em sticking to the blade.

lazs

• With no current custom knives ordered, I finally took the time to build a new firepot for my coal forge. Gone is the brake drum and all the aggravation it caused me as I learned how to forge better. Got an oxy/ace torch and cut out the pieces (not very well [I probably should have practiced first]). Welded them together with my dinky little flux core (without getting much bigger tanks, I can't weld them with my torch).

She's got some power.

That's half of an arm of a gigantic leaf spring. I'm trying a real sword! But this shit is 1/2" material minimum. It tapers back to almost an inch where I'm gripping it. And this new forge heats it up pretty quick.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!