Rode in a Tesla Today...

• Not gonna read it... what does the heater draw?

I know modern AC compressors are not bad at all.

lazs

From what I'm seeing it can impact up to 40% for the heater running. BUT there are "trick" you can use to drop that percentage quite a bit. Things like not putting it on full blast and setting the charge timer to end right before you leave. Because the battery actually needs to get up to temp to be efficient. And charging them actually warms the batteries. For me that not an issue because the vast majority it would be driven is about 35 miles one way.

I know everyone bitches about the "range" of EV's but in reality how much does anyone jump in and drive over an hour or so? And how many of us only have 1 vehicle in the household? So in reality the range thingie is a last grasp by you dinosaurs that refuse to let go of the past. "Those dang horseless carriages will never catch on!!!"

Are they ready to be everyone's only vehicle? No

Are they a viable secondary or daily driver? Yes

MNN on 6/18/19

"chump will assuredly lose 2020 barring an event that cancels the election - he just cant keep his scummy yankee mouth shut"

MNN on 6/24/19

Chump is going to tote an ass kicking nov 2020

MNN on 11/14/19

fact is it is within a year of the election, the Senate will not allow him to appoint her successor. Nov 2020 he will lose.

• #7 pretty much how I look at it with one major difference. How much does gas cost? What are the payments on a $40k Tesla? How long would it take for me to make up that 40k when I can just buy a used vehicle every 5 years or so for a couple grand and use it to take a trip if I have to?

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• #7 pretty much how I look at it with one major difference. How much does gas cost? What are the payments on a $40k Tesla? How long would it take for me to make up that 40k when I can just buy a used vehicle every 5 years or so for a couple grand and use it to take a trip if I have to?

lazs

How much would you pay for a gas vehicle that performs as well as one? Handling, power, ride, etc., not to mention the safety factor.

I'm not looking at getting one to "save" a bunch of money. But when you take the gas and oil changes out, that does cut the "overall" price down. The safety factor is huge for me personally. Because I've got a 14 year old I promised a sports car if she doesn't have a boyfriend by the time she gets her license. By the way, never make a bet with someone who is laser focused and goal oriented. We made the bet when she was about 10 years old and by dam, she wants that sportscar...

MNN on 6/18/19

"chump will assuredly lose 2020 barring an event that cancels the election - he just cant keep his scummy yankee mouth shut"

MNN on 6/24/19

MNN on 11/14/19

fact is it is within a year of the election, the Senate will not allow him to appoint her successor. Nov 2020 he will lose.

• Everytime I go somewhere it is a minimum of 1.5 hours away. Usually closer to 2 and a half hours.

• Everytime I go somewhere it is a minimum of 1.5 hours away. Usually closer to 2 and a half hours.

You're not the "average" driver then are you? And even at that, what are you looking at mileage? 90 to 120 miles one way? And are you talking about your daily driver or work truck?

MNN on 6/18/19

MNN on 6/24/19

MNN on 11/14/19

• Why are they so much safer? Is it safer than my Tahoe? The payments are impossible to make up... you are just trying to convince yourself.

lazs

• Why are they so much safer? Is it safer than my Tahoe? The payments are impossible to make up... you are just trying to convince yourself.

lazs

It's the safest vehicle to ever roll off an American assembly line. Nothing we have ever built is even in the same ballpark. Not having a giant block of metal that transfers energy in a crash in front of the driver and passangers is one thing.

This is one of the examples I like to point to. A teenager takes 4 of her friends for a joyride in daddy's Tesla. They launched it 82 feet and rolled it and all got out before first responders got there and all survived. Even the one who was "seriously" injured made a quick and full recovery.

Check out some of the pictures.

https://electrek.co/2016/05/06…rge-crumple-zone-gallery/

There are many incidents involving Tesla's where the driver or driver and passengers walked away totally unharmed when they really should have gotten hurt.

I know "some people" will immediately point to the deaths with autopilot engaged. But the instructions are that you maintain control of the vehicle while in autopilot. It's really to be used more like an "enhanced' cruise control. Every example of one of those crashes shows the driver was not doing what they were supposed to be at the time of the crash.

Look at it this way. Everyone knows to treat any weapon as if it were loaded right? But some just won't listen.

MNN on 6/18/19

MNN on 6/24/19

MNN on 11/14/19

• If I can't wrench on it, I don't want it.

You can still wrench on them,just in a slightly different way,might need to learn to coad and you can brag about how many kilowatts it puts out!!!:dustin

Of course you could tweak the suspension and change the tires,if you need that fix.

I'm seriously looking at a PHEV,no range issues and it would run on pure electric for most my daily needs.

• So the only thing that makes em safe is not having an engine in the front? Haven't seen many wrecks where the engine came back and killed people... they are designed to not do that anymore.

lazs

• you guys travelling 3-4 hours a day are spending HUNDREDS a week on fuel. That alone displaces the payment on the Tesla.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• Sluggo I felt the same way you just did the first time I rode in a Tesla. Friends of ours have a Model S that's got the max performance software/whatever, but it wasn't just the power, application of that power, and performance that was cool, it was all the tech. Self driving (sort of) and a ton of other things the car can do is why I really was impressed. We've always had pretty high performance cars, we drove a GTR for years, and replaced it with our LC500 which is easily the best Lexus I'd driven, and I've had 3 different models. As much as I like gasoline powered cars and diesel trucks, which I'll always have one each of, IMO electric cars are the future for every day errands and driving.

My dad hit a deer in the van we bought him, and they gave him a plug in hybrid Chrysler Pacifica for a week while they fixed his standard gas Pacifica. He drove it every day for that week, at least 25 or 30 miles/50KM, and never had to put a single drop of fuel into it, as the nightly recharging on a regular wall plug with the stock charger the van came with would pump the battery up to 100% in 6 or 7 hours, and be good for 60km+ in the winter, with lights/heaters and all kinds of other crap running. Pretty cool. I don't give a shit about the "save the environment" bs, I just think the idea of a plug in vehicle with a strong back up gas engine is the future for both cost and convenience. Plus it is smooth and quiet as hell cruising around on electric power.

Saw Taycan electric Porsche a while back - guy really lit into it too, thing is so fast and quiet, spooky to see it rocket past.

I saw Jay Leno's video with Elon Musk in the new electric truck - Leno even drives a Tesla every day for regular driving, his wife too. In 4 years he hasn't had to do a single thing maintenance wise on either he said. That was the one factor that kept us out of a Model S, is that the brick and mortar Tesla dealer/garage closed its maintenance bays in Calgary, and there isn't even one in Sask at our other place. You have to rely on this "rangers" who will come and "fix" your car, and the wait list is crazy up here. So until its more widespread in terms of having infrastructure, it's a barrier up here. That changes, we'll get one, maybe a Model 3 long range performance model - I'd like to support Musk too.

• So the only thing that makes em safe is not having an engine in the front? Haven't seen many wrecks where the engine came back and killed people... they are designed to not do that anymore.

lazs

Not true, check into the physics of it.

MNN on 6/18/19

MNN on 6/24/19

MNN on 11/14/19

• Here's a short vid of the Rivian truck being tested.

MNN on 6/18/19

MNN on 6/24/19

MNN on 11/14/19