Favorite rifle iron sight...

• Lots to choose from. itty bitty little V notch rear. 'Buckhorn' ........Aperture.

My least favorite is the V notch even tho I grew up on em. The Buckhorn is an improvement but still? not my cupa... Yep.. you got the V notch in it... then the sorta kinda aperture... then above that another odd long range wing thing.

The pure aperture... Basically a round hole you look through and put the front sight on the target. The human eye loves this sight. people who are learning to shoot love this sight. people who hunt or shoot moving stuff love it.

So what makes a good one? Well.. sight radius still matters some.. even with aperture. But what makes a good/great aperture? one that adjusts easily with clearly marked yardage on em. That is first. Then the sight radius. Then.. something useful in range finding.

The M1 Garand has all those things. simply a great sight. sooooo easy to use and adjust. Most do not know that the front sight (the only one you actually look at) is a certain width for a reason. A chest on a human is about 18" wide. At 200 yards the M1 front sight covers a human chest. You can do the math backwards or forwards from there.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• The M1 carbine.. with it's flip up sight. One aperture for short range and one for longer. two choices... The brit enfield had the same with a few sorta strange adjustments on the long range flip up. The M1 Garand simply had a knob to move the aperture up or down for anything close to reasonable range.

lazs

• The very best tho.................... One you could use from 200-800 yards or more with little hassle.. one that was clearly marked and easily adjusted.

I give you the HK turret sight. Yep.. a sight with 4 or sometimes 5 different apertures A twist of the fingers moving from one range to another...fixed.. tough as nails....

lazs

• I qualified expert just about every time I qualified with the M-16. Had to shoot from different positions and with limited time. Saturday I did some rapid fire with my AR. I never realized how much the barrel moves around when doing that until I did it with a red dot sight. You just don't notice all that movement with iron sights.

• Troy does make great flip ups to back up optics, probably my favorite iron flips too.

I'll agree, the Garand rifle sights are probably still the best factory sights after 80 years almost now. I do really, really like the Spanish Fr8 sights, if you guys ever see one at a surplus show/whatever, buy it, or at least shoulder it and look at the sights. They are almost identical to MP5 sights, and for the 300m that the shorter barrel Fr8 in 308 is probably good for in terms of its accuracy with Nato ammo...they're perfect. When on the open notch setting, very fast and easy to pick up and center on your target. Even with the longer range settings dialed in, which changes the rear notch to a smaller hole to peep through, they are still pretty good, they just lose the speed.

• at this point 200 yards is a long ways for me. depending on light and terrain. I would attempt it with a handgun and not do too badly but hitting even a 10" plate would be hit or miss so to speak.

lazs

• I have missed a two liter bottle with a handgun at 100 yards six times in a row. I have also hit one 3 out of six. depends.

lazs

• ya got u a 45-70? if so what ammo ya using?

Dietrich Bonhoeffer: “Silence in the face of evil is itself evil. God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”

Presbyterian Rev. Gilbert Tennant:

“He that suffers his life to be taken from him by one who has no authority for that purpose, when he might preserve it by defense, incurs the Guilt of self murder since God has enjoined him to seek the continuance of his life, and Nature itself teaches every creature to defend itself.”