Man-Shamed

• My neighbors both mowed their yard on the same day. In fact they have mowed twice. Meanwhile my yard hasn't been mowed once. It looked it too. Feeling ashamed I thought I best get on it.

First things first. It's been bothering me that my lawn tractor barely made it up the incline into my garage last year. I pondered, what is causing that!

Looking the tractor over I realized it was covered with dust, thick dust. Seems my yard was more of a dustbowl last year than a lawn. When they built the houses around here I was told by my neighbors they had scraped all the top soil off and sold it. The yards need a bunch of love around here.

It didn't take but a second to come to the conclusion that the air filter was clogged. Did a search for a new air filter and none in town. It's a Briggs and Stratton engine. You'd think that would be a fairly common engine. I had to order one from Amazon. Now Amazon is shipping slow these days. What happened to the 2 day delivery included with prime!? It will be here May 3rd. Plan B was to blow out the old filter and make do. That's what I did.

Grabbed a can of compressed air at Dollar General this morning. It was on the way. About a week earlier I stopped at Walmart and picked up some oil and an oil filter. It actually takes a little cannister. It's a 24 horse power motor. So it's good size.

Nothing ever goes like clockwork it seems. That little oil filter was tough to get to. It makes you wonder what are these manufacturers thinking. There's a shroud around the engine. It may come off but it didn't look easy. I'll test that theory on the next oil change. Eventually I got the oil filter off. Getting the new filter on was another task for sure. It took an LED light and some contortion to get it on.

Then there was a delay. I spent an hour looking for a funnel. I had at least 3 of them at the old house. Couldn't find a one. In the meantime, while looking for the filter I was picking up crap from the garage floor. Also I didn't want to have to park the car in the driveway to get the mower out. So the power washer, garden trailer, tool chest, and snow blower were rearranged. Then it was time to sweep. Quite a bit of debris on the floor from all the boxes I used to move and from the what the car dragged in.

Then there is gas. I reasoned I could kill two birds with one stone. Went to a Casey's for gas and thought just maybe they would have a funnel. Sure enough they did. It was paper and free! No complaints about that.

I have to go into more detail about the oil change. The tractor has a 48 inch deck. In order to drain it into a pan you have to take the deck off. I'm not doing it. I had purchased a hand pump to avoid that mess. That takes a little trial and error. For instance, which hose goes into the engine and which goes into the Jug (I used a milk jug). Worked that out. The whole point was not to make a big oily mess. That didn't quite happen. When I took the oil filter off a large puddle of oil developed under the tractor. Oil on my new garage floor. Sigh!

At that point it's time to grab the dish soap and liberally soak the oil spot. Tomorrow I'm power washing the garage floor and the tractor.

Replaced the oil and filled the gas tank and I am ready to roll.

My neighbors had used little electric lawn mowers to mow their yards. Nice little things if like spending 45 minutes mowing a small lot.

I felt some grandeur swelling in my ego as I rolled out my 24 horse power, 48 inch deck tractor. That baby ran just fine too. Blowing out the air filter paid off. The tractor made it up the incline with no issues. And the yard was mowed in about 15 minutes.

• I wanted 10 acres when we moved here. Wife said I wouldn't take care of it. What's to take care of? No green acres for me.

• The Kawasaki on my Cub Cadet already HAS a hose attached to the crank case. I just slide the flat oil can thingie under it

If politicians only got paid according to their district's economic success, there would be no more Democrats.

• We bought a 54" badboy with twin 27hp briggs.

I mow at about 6mph. It takes about an hour to mow each of the three properties out in the west glades.

The oil runs into a pan placed under the rear mounted engine.

Easy peasy

• I have a Bad Boy ZTR 60" Elite with Kohler twin. Mine came with a hose and cap that terminated under the engine at the rear. Only had to stick oil pan under left side of engine, oil filter easy and out in the open.

I bought my mower because that brunette that used to sell bad boy on tv was stacked from here to there and I can still hear her sultry sexy voice telling us to "MOW with an attitude". But really, I needed a better mower than I had and this mower was priced right and fairly close to home for a dealer and parts.

I've had this mower around 5 years, and maintain it well. New air filter each year as it is very dusty in my area. Also I have changed hydrostat oil twice. Overkill but... Also a dab of Seafoam in gas every tank as we have nothing but ethanol fuel here. The engine starts first time, every time.

Maintenance is your friend Arrow. Next time I ride my mower I'll be thinking of ole brunette and MOWing with an attitude, lol. Good luck.

• I have Emerald Zoysia in the front yard. It MUST be cut once a week to a height of 2.25-2.5 inches and the best way to cut it is with a reel mower.

I can’t even imagine sitting on my ass to cut the grass.

Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

I disagree but I respect your right to be stupid.

Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

• I have Emerald Zoysia in the front yard. It MUST be cut once a week to a height of 2.25-2.5 inches and the best way to cut it is with a reel mower.

I can’t even imagine sitting on my ass to cut the grass.

Dang, that is not far from what the Grim Reaper would use.

• You had to bring that up...

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

• You had to bring that up...

LOL, the funny part is I don't think he even knows the backstory on that Mr Reaper...

MNN on 6/18/19

"chump will assuredly lose 2020 barring an event that cancels the election - he just cant keep his scummy yankee mouth shut"

MNN on 6/24/19

Chump is going to tote an ass kicking nov 2020

MNN on 11/14/19

fact is it is within a year of the election, the Senate will not allow him to appoint her successor. Nov 2020 he will lose.

• Probably not.