Archery: To Save all of Mankind

• A bow needs wood that has 2 properties,flex and compression thats why yew is so treasured and osage orange as well.Oak is ok for some flex but it withstands compression well. Thats the reason I backed the bow with paper,so if it breaks under flex I wont get splinters in the face. It's also why I want to lower the draw weight to around 50/60#,the limbs are long enough that it shouldnt explode but every wooden bow is just one draw away from breaking.

Traditionally,my people made bows from ironwood,maple and ash,some were made from mulberry and some were made with a combination of woods. One unusual design is the penobscot bow,it's short but powerful do to it's design.

2 different woods were used,one for flex the other for compression.

• My people make bows from guava wood. The technique goes back to the Caribs which actually were invaders. The local injuns were Taíno. They were basically unarmed (extinct today) but fended off attacking Caribs by pig piling them. They would suffer loses disproportionate to their numbers but more or less held their own until the filthy Spaniards arrived.

A Carib guava wood bow probably draws at 25-35lb but the arrows are poisoned.

The Caribs managed to successfully defend their islands against the Spanish with their poisoned arrows because any nick was deadly.

You can still find Caribs today.

Their bows are intricate and flex really well because like yew the guava which is in the myrtle family has a hard center but a supple outer.

The arrows were made from long leaf pine which grow very straight branches and is a hard wood in the Caribbean.