Archery: To Save all of Mankind

• Just took up archery this year. Bought a cheap bow because, well, I didn't know any better and I didn't know if I would enjoy it.

I confess there's a lot of grunting but after 30 or 40 shots you feel the strain of pulling back a 55lb bow.

Oh, by the way, I enjoy all my errors.

• Those English long bows from mediaval times are fascinating as hell. Takes endless months to select the wood, treat it, and turn it into a bow. Some of those things were upwards of 180 pounds of draw

If politicians only got paid according to their district's economic success, there would be no more Democrats.

• Those English long bows from mediaval times are fascinating as hell. Takes endless months to select the wood, treat it, and turn it into a bow. Some of those things were upwards of 180 pounds of draw

The long bows didnt have 180 lbs,closer to 120 if that high but they did have sit down bows that were close to the 180 draw. You sat down,put the bow on your feet and pulled with both arms and let loose a 4 to 5 ft arrow that could kill the knights and the horse they rode with a single arrow.

I started a hybred bow,a flat bow thats as long as a longbow,72 inches nock to nock.Right now it has about 70lbs at 22 inches which is too much and you can feel the handle flexing.It needs to be tilled down to around 50lb at 28 inches. Unfortunately every wooden bow is just 1 draw away from breaking!

I have been trying to learn how to do a flemish twist to make my own bow strings but I havent had much luck with it and dont trust the couple strings I've made so I cheat and just use a string that was premade. That said there are some interesting fishing lines that are real thin and super strong so I may give it another try with some of that stuff.

And ya I make my own arrows too but usually just use store bought cause the homemade ones are too pretty to fuck up and the broadheads take quite a bit of time to make and the wife keeps asking where all her spoons are disappearing to.

• That's pretty cool Spitbull.

I've heard the bows from the Medieval times reached upwards to 180 lbs. Whenever they find a body from that time they could tell it was an archer by the enlarged drawing arm.

• Ya that's true but I dont think the longbows were that strong of a pull.Try a single handed deadlift of 180lbs then get back to me. The sitting bows could be made much longer and stronger,the draw lengths were like I said up to 6Ft depending on the height of the archer and were a powerful weapon for the time which could be rapid fired,unlike the large crossbows.

I'd like to make a long bow but yew wood is hard to come by and osage orange doesnt grow near me so that makes it difficult to do. I have a smaller 5ftish "longbow/selfbow that I made out of ironwood,it just hangs on the wall as I'm afraid to break it.

If you want to make a cheap but effective bow,utube PVC bows and have at it.I made a couple last summer,one for my grandson and another for myself,mine has fiberglass driveway markers inside to increase the draw strength. My grandson wants me to make him a pvc crossbow,might work on that when I get all the crap outside done,since I have some time on my hands.

• Ya that's true but I dont think the longbows were that strong of a pull.Try a single handed deadlift of 180lbs then get back to me. The sitting bows could be made much longer and stronger,the draw lengths were like I said up to 6Ft depending on the height of the archer and were a powerful weapon for the time which could be rapid fired,unlike the large crossbows.

I'd like to make a long bow but yew wood is hard to come by and osage orange doesnt grow near me so that makes it difficult to do. I have a smaller 5ftish "longbow/selfbow that I made out of ironwood,it just hangs on the wall as I'm afraid to break it.

If you want to make a cheap but effective bow,utube PVC bows and have at it.I made a couple last summer,one for my grandson and another for myself,mine has fiberglass driveway markers inside to increase the draw strength. My grandson wants me to make him a pvc crossbow,might work on that when I get all the crap outside done,since I have some time on my hands.

For some odd reason, those making the PVC bow videos have been floating across my YT feed. And of course I watched them all.

I used to be really big into archery, but I just lost the time. It's on the list of shit I would do (again) if the days were twice as long.

• Very cool! now if we could just get you to turn the phone on it's side. Will look a lot better! :)

Welcome to FW by the way!

• Did anyone watch the second video? It's the cool one. The first shot actually hits the middle bottle. I thought I should get some kind of award for that, though unintentional.

• Yo Arrow... last word I got was... best to start with a light weight bow... prevents strain n such while you are learning...

say 45 or even 35 and one guy insisted 25 was best...

the compound bows can cause shoulder problems later if you draw em wrong...

so claim is you should NOT draw them like you draw a long or recurve bow...

more like you present then PUSH the compound bow away from you...

start by doing exactly the same every time... don't move your aim if you miss the target... what you want is a group...

then adjust your aim...

also eastern style archery is becoming popular... different... arrow on outside of bow and thumb draw... very interesting style...

seen some use western finger draw but shoot from outside... can shoot pretty fast...

also... most don't notice it... but when you shoot from the outside of the bow you flick the bow away from the arrow as it leaves...

lots of that stuff on youtube IIRC...

just my opinion YMMV...

Dietrich Bonhoeffer: “Silence in the face of evil is itself evil. God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”

Presbyterian Rev. Gilbert Tennant:

“He that suffers his life to be taken from him by one who has no authority for that purpose, when he might preserve it by defense, incurs the Guilt of self murder since God has enjoined him to seek the continuance of his life, and Nature itself teaches every creature to defend itself.”

• I know you're right. Seen some stuff. When I got the bow I couldn't pull it back. Didn't realize it was set on 70lbs.

I lowered it to 55 but that really is too much if with the let off.

• from Wiki

Draw weights[edit]

Estimates for the draw of these bows varies considerably. Before the recovery of the Mary Rose, Count M. Mildmay Stayner, Recorder of the British Long Bow Society, estimated the bows of the Medieval period drew 90–110 pounds-force (400–490 newtons), maximum, and Mr. W.F. Paterson, Chairman of the Society of Archer-Antiquaries, believed the weapon had a supreme draw weight of only 80–90 lbf (360–400 N). Other sources suggest significantly higher draw weights. The original draw forces of examples from the Mary Rose are estimated by Robert Hardy at 150–160 lbf (670–710 N) at a 30-inch (76.2 cm) draw length; the full range of draw weights was between 100–185 lbf (440–820 N). The 30-inch (76.2 cm) draw length was used because that is the length allowed by the arrows commonly found on the Mary Rose

The Smithsonian channel had some interesting programs lately on weapons. The long bow was one of the weapons.

Trump: “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” 3:01PM Nov. 8 2013

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" ~ Abe Lincoln

• I still have my old Bear Alaskan. Been telling myself to grab a string for it since I'll soon have the time and space to fuck with it. I wonder if they still make stuff for plain old recurve bows. Seems all I see are set up for taking game.

• I still have my old Bear Alaskan. Been telling myself to grab a string for it since I'll soon have the time and space to fuck with it. I wonder if they still make stuff for plain old recurve bows. Seems all I see are set up for taking game.

they do...

Dietrich Bonhoeffer: “Silence in the face of evil is itself evil. God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”

“He that suffers his life to be taken from him by one who has no authority for that purpose, when he might preserve it by defense, incurs the Guilt of self murder since God has enjoined him to seek the continuance of his life, and Nature itself teaches every creature to defend itself.”

• I know you're right. Seen some stuff. When I got the bow I couldn't pull it back. Didn't realize it was set on 70lbs.

I lowered it to 55 but that really is too much if with the let off.

might want to pickup a bare bow online... like a standard recurve or longbow style amazon or some such... light draw for training yourself...

many are fairly cheap and great for learning n practice n such till your ready for the heavy...

the heavy draw weight types often enhance bad form... ya get tired or pull a muscle or some such... and then ya start kinda cheating...

sorta like trying to learn to shoot starting out with a full power 44 mag... and developing a severe flinch...

seen several you can shoot from either side of the bow...

when drawing a compound best to present and then push with your bow hand as you draw with your string hand... or even push a bit then draw...

least that always seemed easiest to do for me...

• Notice it says estimated,because they couldnt actually test those bows as they would have broken or exploded. Most were around the 120# range.

Wrag the outside draw is something I have been considering,I want to make a horse bow next,still sourcing some of the things I may need but I thought an outside draw might make things simpler as I'm a lefty and I have to choose to make the bow an ambi or lefty draw but could make a right draw and use an outside draw myself.

When I get a chance I may snap a pic of the hybred long/flat bow I'm making now. Truthfully I havent worked on it since last summer as it's messy work.

• Wrag, I have thought about that also, getting a cheap recurve. One piece of advice a fellow archer gave me was just practice. Basic, but it was good advice.

I do push with the bow hand and draw at the same time. I can pull the bow back while keeping the arrow towards the target. At first that wasn't the case. I would point the arrow into the air and then draw it back. That's a no-no as I have learned.

Another thing I learned was unlike bullets you have to retrieve those arrows. hehe. Lot of exercise there!

• Notice it says estimated,because they couldnt actually test those bows as they would have broken or exploded. Most were around the 120# range.

Wrag the outside draw is something I have been considering,I want to make a horse bow next,still sourcing some of the things I may need but I thought an outside draw might make things simpler as I'm a lefty and I have to choose to make the bow an ambi or lefty draw but could make a right draw and use an outside draw myself.

When I get a chance I may snap a pic of the hybred long/flat bow I'm making now. Truthfully I havent worked on it since last summer as it's messy work.

If you're doing another PVC bow please take lots of pictures.