Kerbal Space Program

• GScholz

Here's my attempt at a megaship.

cspfSnx.png

I've docked up 2 "snub" SSTO fighters that I'll drop off at Laythe for refueling purposes. It doesn't show it, but it's got 1.5 Million Delta V. This sucker could pull 8 G's in vacuum with a half load of fuel (but no refueling ships).

BUT this was really dragging down my computer. I decided to deorbit / destroy all the space junk around Kerbin before I made my run to Jool. There was a science ship with 6 astronauts that I had entirely forgot about! Building the big ship, I had sent every kerbol up in either the main ship or the snubs, so lucky to find those guys just floating out there.

Others can make such attractive big ships, mine just looks like a retarded squid.

• lol... I like it. Not exactly Star Trek, but definitely The Orville...

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• It's funny you should say that.

I turned a 335 day trip to Laythe straight from Kerbin down to a 170 day trip, so I figured I'd spend some time designing something useful that actually looked good.

These ships I have can zip around, but they can't really do much. I took my first one (a simple 500k DV single engine ship) to drag around a pair of satellites. 1 to Moho, the other to Jool. Both connected to the opposite sides of the ship. I dropped off the Moho satellite, and discovered it wouldn't fly straight anymore with 1 satellite unbalancing the load.

So I'm trying to make this one be useful, somehow.

• I usually don't play with so many late-game mods. I prefer to build more massive ships with current tech to get a useful payload anywhere far. Assembling them in orbit etc.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• I usually don't play with so many late-game mods. I prefer to build more massive ships with current tech to get a useful payload anywhere far. Assembling them in orbit etc.

This is my first playthrough after many, many shorter ones where for the first time I actually get away from Kerbin and the moons.

My MotherSquid finally got to jool, did a gravity assist, and then circled Laythe. Dropped off my Deuterium Refuelers, but realize it's going to take a LOT of time to get enough to refuel the main ship. I guess these will be only used in emergencies.

But I got this picture on the deorbit:

• Let me take you on a tour of my latest venture!

With my mothersquidship's inability to take less than or more than 2 of something somewhere, I decided to design a new ship. A big hauler. A space 18 wheeler.

55cYuO4.png

(First test flights to get it in to space using the cheat menu to see how it would handle.)

This bastard uses the space shuttle parts sized up to 15 Meters. Freaking big! And it's got full amenities and crew quarters. 2 separate 0.6 G spinning rims so these little shits can live in luxury on those long trips.

So I thought to myself, "Why have a space hauler if you're not going to haul shit around?" I've never landed on Eve. I went once and flung 4 kerbols to their screaming death as I realized that the planet had mega gravity and enough air pressure to pop a beer can. But I haven't attempted since.

I'd use my standard rover / science tech design, give it parachutes, inflatable heat shields (on both sides), and retro boosters to cushion the landing! Then I'd launch it and my Space Semi, do a barn swallow scoop up, and take the whole thing to eve.

This SOB was so freaking big that even putting the command capsule in the rafters, a full third of it was clipped into the floor.

pDh7Hum.png

Took me 2 tries to get it in space. I had first set up an asparagus on the main tanks, but it didn't have the power to keep going after I dropped the outside big tanks.

JncNGSN.png

But it worked!

oa9TuNX.png

Only pulls 2 G's at max thrust and max load, but 1 mil DV, so I'll deal with it.

Find my rover, and start to get lined up!

X7ZIMue.png

If I had thought to plan, I probably would have checked to see if it fit first...

BKlU8dr.png

It left rubber marks on the inside walls, but it fit!

R9jLgLx.png

But for the life of me, couldn't get this fucker to engage. Everything was lined up, but just wouldn't snag! Could not figure it out.

At one point, it bumped off of a wall pretty hard, and started to leave the cargo hold. So I tried to shut the doors to keep it in, but the doors weren't fast enough and caught on the rover.

Sorry, no pictures of this, I was button mashing to try to save it.

Then the rover got sheared in half. And started exploding. Inside the cargo, and out. The explosions and shifting mass sent me into a spin.

So I opened the door to try to get clear of it. Here's a picture of the abortion oozing out the front:

1qP3e8m.png

Once it was out, I regained control.

apCInxx.png

And the parts drifted off into space. Thankfully, my plan was to put the kerbols in the space big rig and transfer over just before separation.

No Kerbols were harmed in the making of this slideshow.

• I figured out how to use an SSTO, land it on the moon, mine exotic minerals, bring them back, and make almost 7 million a pop. (Tried it on minmus, too, but I think that the surface is too soft, catches the landing gear, and breaks them. [Plus it's further away, and doesn't have as much exotic minerals.])

• It was the docking port. It was a modded docking port. Tighter tolerances but higher structural grip. Something about it being on the inside of the ship was tripping it up.

Different docking port used this time, just a scaled up version of the Docking Port Senior.

If this didn't work, I would have just shut the fucking doors and tried to go to Eve with this thing bouncing around on the inside.