• One of those calibers I always hated.. too much noise and flash for too little dash. Now? I kinda like it for various reasons.

First.. it is cheap. not just to buy but to reload...

Next... modern guns shoot far better than the lugers and other German surplus guns at the time (1980)

Next.. the glock.. horrible gun by MY standards.. put me off the nine for a decade.

The good...........many 9's I had not shot...........were great. The sig and the CZ come to mind. along with the heavy and cool HK

Also... It is slow... by some standards.. cast bullets of 124 grain will be fine at 1100 fps or much more.

Cheap.... hard to argue.$12 a box ammo is common.

Also.. the carbines.............................................yep.....................Hi-Point is less than $200 and............LOL... it makes the 9mm a beast!! Add... 150 fps and add... groups half the size of the best 9mm handgun shooter? and no recoil? you got a chick gun par execllance!!

Cheap... oh.. said that? not really.. so I buy cleaned (shiny) brass that has been sized and deprimed.. for $40 a thousand? LOL.. that means $5 A BOX handloads in 9mm

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• yeah hawker... I am not a great fan of progressive presses like the Dillon for various reasons. For one I like to load several different loadings in each caliber.... meaning bullet and powder even different primers for some.

So what I do is have buckets of primed brass ready for powder and bullet. I can load what I feel like.

But.... if I had a nine I imagine that I would pick one load or bullet and leave the press set up. Then the progressive would make sense for me. For me tho..... I have 4 loads for 44 mag that would require a different setup.... 3 for .357.... 3 for 45 acp etc.

Sooo.... for the 9mm for instance in order to cut hours off the time I buy Blue ridge brass... already cleaned and sized and deprimed. All I got to do is prime it and load.

lazs

• I feel ya. I have the progressive for 9mm and 5.56/223. Those are the calibers we use for competition and shoot alot of. Not uncommon for me to go through 2000 9 and 1k to 1500 5.56/223 in a weekend. I have the quick change heads and holders for those 2 rounds. I am toying with getting a single stage rockchucker or the likes to do 44 and 357 since i picked up the wheel guns

• LOL hawker.... I get it. If I shot that many of one or two rounds I would for sure have the Dillon for them. Right now I have a Rock Chucker for everything. I shoot maybe 1k rounds a month but it is out of 3-10 different guns all with different appetites... I have one cheap LEE single stage next to my powder measure that I use only for the LEE factory crimp dies as a last step in some loads.

I have like 500 off the .223 cases primed and ready and I thought that was a lot till I read your post!

I assume you are doing some kind of a three gun competition?

lazs

• 3 gun, bowling pin, and several others. Some that are just us and some friends doing shoot house stuff with some of the ex military guys we work with. IF you have never done a bowling pin competition i highly recommend it. Lots of fun. I am going to enter one with my 44 magnum just for shits and grins one week.

• When I first got my first 44 mag I did bowling pins. I really enjoyed it but they had set it up so that revolvers had little chance. I believe the tables are not as broad now? the kings were the 45 acp and the .38 super. more controllable and more shots.. The serious 44 mag shooters were using loads that were mid range. Wad cutters or SWC at around 1100 fps the guy that was king of 44 mag bowling pins used a load that was even a little less than that. We got to talking and he was a great guy from back east somewhere. He said when I was shooting he had not put one side of his muffs on (forgot)... said his ears were still ringing...

When I told him what my load was he starting laughing. He said something like "they are bowling pins not bears"

My favorite load back then for the super blackhawk was a 250 grain home cast SWC at around 1400 fps.

lazs

• Most guys would not clear the table in 5 shots. the 44 mag or special would do it if you got even a decent hit. The semi autos could wing one and come back to it pretty fast. Not many guys were comfortable with the 44 mag back then... I imagine not too many now either?

Anyway... several places sell a 200 and a 250 grain FULL wadcutter for 44... If you ran that thing at around 1000 fps or a bit faster I bet it would be a great bowling pin load.

lazs