44 mag deal

• My buddy is airforce.. so he gets good deals on guns they sell at the base (yes in California) He is buying a 629 Smith 4" barrel for $775 no tax.

The 629 is the modern Smith version of the Model 29 that Dirty Harry run up to several grand. It is stainless and has the idiotic lock... No one ever has said they liked the lock... And stainless? meh... But it also moved the cylinder stops a bit and did a few other things you wont see that make it FAR stronger than the original 29.... I have actually to my shame killed a 29 with hot loads.

The bore is laser cut. To be honest? it is perfect on my 629 6" gun. The grips are rubber.. total puke in your lap bad.

Mine has perfect chambers at .4295 the bore has no imperfections. the single and double action are... well... as good as a factory gun gets right from the factory... think.... somewhere between a Python and a Ruger.

The 29 since Dirty Harry was overpriced by a bunch. Good old ones now sell for half what they did in the 80's Still.. great guns... The new ones are fantastic... IF you get a good one. What is a good one? Probly 95% of the ones in the display case at the gun store.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• Is the Exchange where he is buying it an FFL? Guess it must be.

• Have a 74-75 year Model 29, pinned and recessed , never fired in the box.

‘If you’re not a liberal when you’re 25, you have no heart. If you’re not a conservative by the time you’re 35, you have no brain.’

No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot - Mark Twain

TWAT on 10/14/2019 :

Lemme say that again... I don't care. If. The accusations against Trump. Are factual. Or not.

• Iron.... I don't know what the deal is. Not all AF bases sell guns tho.

KdF... is it the walnut presentation box with the blue mouse fur? I have owned a few but I always shot the hell out of em and trashed one with hot loads. It is a shame that you don't take that thing out and shoot it tho.

lazs

• Looks like I can order online and pick up at Mountain Home AFB. No idea if this is a good deal. When I'm ready to buy I'll keep it in the comparisons.

• Buddy said that he would not have to pay tax at the BX.

This may be controversial but I never worry about 10% or so on a gun. I would rather be able to check it out.

lazs

• Yes, but I had to re-felt the styrofoam because it was all rotted off. Got it from a Hardware store in Wisconsin that was closing, the Owner was a preacher and he collected them when selling, the box was opened by him to tell me the felt fell off. It's a purdy 61/2. I have another one I shoot.

‘If you’re not a liberal when you’re 25, you have no heart. If you’re not a conservative by the time you’re 35, you have no brain.’

No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot - Mark Twain

TWAT on 10/14/2019 :

Lemme say that again... I don't care. If. The accusations against Trump. Are factual. Or not.

• the smith's in 44 don't seem to take "hot" loads well... but accuracy and trigger and feel are great IMHO...

although those rubber grips actual seem to drive the butt right into the nerve center of the hand... ???

want "hot" loads n shit... get a ruger??? You will be happier... although the smith can handle respectable loads well...

course the above is just my opinions... so...

Dietrich Bonhoeffer: “Silence in the face of evil is itself evil. God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”

Presbyterian Rev. Gilbert Tennant:

“He that suffers his life to be taken from him by one who has no authority for that purpose, when he might preserve it by defense, incurs the Guilt of self murder since God has enjoined him to seek the continuance of his life, and Nature itself teaches every creature to defend itself.”

• just shot the my 6 inch 629 i bought myself for christmas last night. Prices on them are finally coming down now that the hype from walking dead is dying out and alot of people are finding they dont like the kick from a 44. I think I must have lucked into a good one cause we were drilling tacks with it with crappy range ammo. I got the classic so it is stainless with the wood grips. Also shot my new Ruger gp100 in 357. I had a great time. I love big bore revolvers. Its what i was raised on.

• Wrag... the new 629's have some improvements that make em a lot tougher than the old ones. I put my own sights and grips on mine tho. Having said that... I don't shoot full power loads in the gun. I shoot 245 grain cast flat nose bullets at around 1250 fps. This is plenty warm and has the energy of a lot of cheapo factory stuff.

Hawker... yep. I was shocked to see how good the 629 shot with just about any of my handloads. Friend of mine is kind of a crappy shot with handguns. I let him try the 629.. Told him... "you can't miss with this gun" he went on to shoot three soda cans in a row from 20-40 yards out. He thinks the gun is magic.

The bore is as nice as any I have seen... it is laser cut I believe but very smooth and straight. All the chambers are .430 or a hair under... Perfect for lead bullets and a .429 bore.

lazs

• Ruger is a 4 inch I like it. Shoots well and feels like a tank. Paid 450 for it. Is also stainless with the wood insert grip. Was used but in good shape. Looks like another gun that was bought and sat in someones safe. Got a magnetic holster for it to mount it to roof of my highboy.

• I have a 5" GP100 I bought in new 2002 for $396.78. They're running $750 new now. Very solid gun. I have no complaints. At the time, it was easily the most bang for the buck. Now... it's not so clear.

• 5" is a great length for a .357

I know you guys are looking for a bargain and that is fine. Cheap gun that is tough and has a good factory to back em up. Having said that... The Smith is in my opinion a much better gun. Quality control is spotty at times on Rugers... you either get a really good one or one that just never does shoot well. Unless you know what to check before you buy you could end up not being happy.

If you buy factory .357 ammo it is expensive. kinda negates a few hundred bucks savings. The Smiths are more elegant and balance better. Generally the bores and chambers are right. Cyl gap is right. For sure their triggers are better than the Rugers. Everyones hands are different so that part is subjective about fit. Lots of aftermarket grips in any case.

lazs