My crap DCS Thread

• A discounter will ALWAYS find a loophole.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

• DCS offers a lot but it isn't very structured. You want more from it pick a plane, learn it well, help others learn it. Practice things like flying in close formation. You aren't really ready to fight in a plane until you are well versed in the basics.

• I'll be learning the AH-64D soon. All those who want to join my bro and I will be welcome. Obviously you can't jump in an advanced session without knowing the basics. I'll try to set up sessions you can practice on your own or with us but they will be progressive. In that you must practice this before trying that.

• Hey BJ, are you using VR? You mentioned you wanted to be able to mouse around and VR in the same sentence, so I'm not sure if you're using VR or TrackIR.

Anyhow, you can use your mouse in VR still in DCS, you don't have to use the "move your head to move your cursor" thing in VR. You can use your mouse instead while in VR separately from your head direction/position. I have a mouse on a plate mounted beside my right side stick controller, and have a mouse sitting on it for functions I don't have mapped to my hotas in DCS, as well as just general mousing about in game(s).

Iron - once the Apache module is out, I'm absolutely in to fly with you and your bro. Not many players in game will have an opportunity to fly with a real former helo pilot like your bro, so good times I say.

• Many of those screens from their weekly update last week are AI planes, but still, having them updated is cool. The 339, Apache, and F4U are flyable modules, I WISH the B52, B1B, and S3 were too. Fingers crossed that someday we'll get a multicrew heavy bomber - I don't even care what, T160 or Backfire, B52, B1B, or anything, would be insta buy for me.

The A7 is coming, and eventually the A6 Intruder - the Intruder will be where I spend a ton of time, while not a heavy bomber, it's a great medium on that'll be 2/multi crew capable. Low level night bombing missions during the cold war will be great fun.

• Many of those screens from their weekly update last week are AI planes, but still, having them updated is cool. The 339, Apache, and F4U are flyable modules, I WISH the B52, B1B, and S3 were too. Fingers crossed that someday we'll get a multicrew heavy bomber - I don't even care what, T160 or Backfire, B52, B1B, or anything, would be insta buy for me.

The A7 is coming, and eventually the A6 Intruder - the Intruder will be where I spend a ton of time, while not a heavy bomber, it's a great medium on that'll be 2/multi crew capable. Low level night bombing missions during the cold war will be great fun.

A6 would be the plane for me too. But first, trying to get my joystick working on this game.

If people do not display wisdom, they will crash like blind moles and then mutual annihilation will commence.

you ain’t black! -Joe Biden, 2020

• Well....that depends on your definition of "work". My X-56 works but one button on the throttle was defective right out of the box which was an improvement over the previous one that had two defective buttons out of the box. Both sticks had issues centering properly the first time I plugged them in so I had to put in deadzones when mapping the axis. They both "work" sorta...heh

I'd love Virpil gear but I need to sell a ton more lures and get a divorce before that can happen. If I can't have Virpil gear I'd go with a Thrustmaster Warthog.

Drop the brick Rick, it ain't no trick, get yourself free.

"It's no longer our job to wake the sheep. It's time to wake the other lions."

giphy.gif

• Yea, I won’t spend money to a company base out of Russia.

While lots of the programmers and original staff/etc are Russian, the company is based in Switzerland technically. Wags is ex CIA (expert on Russian/Chinese/Threat Sam and AAA systems), and is based in America. Lots of teams from lots of different countries. I do get it though, I'm not a fan of supporting threats to the West, but the guys at ED don't really fit that category. I've had conflicting arguments with myself on this subject Oaktree, but I always tell myself China should be in the same boat too, more so than Russia as they are way more of a threat to us, but if I stopped buying Chinese things that means no PC, no phones, no TV, no internet, etc etc etc. It's a shit sandwich, but we still have to eat it. For now.

• So So. The Saitek stuff is ok, but is usually more prone to breaking than other stuff. If you're not going to go down the mid/higher end hotas road, I think the best bet is a CH stick (the throttles don't get along with DCS frequently, but the sticks usually do, and IMO are still solid enough to buy), and the TM TWCS throttle, which is a solid little unit, cheap, and has rudder rockers if you don't have or want pedals. You can get both for less than any Saitek hotas out there.

edit - I paid 75 USD for my TWCS for my little collection back in 2017, little bugger is up to $150 CAD now, so now sure what it is USD now, probably 25 or 35 more USD than I paid. Still a good deal though, if you look around you can find a Combat or Fighterstick for well under $100 USD usually.