My crap DCS Thread

• I've so much as given up on refueling. One day I'll grind that detent off, but it's low on the priority list.

If you splash the tanker, and fly through the wreckage, it'll top off your tanks.

Of course the guy in line behind you will be pissed, but he can't catch you if he's out of fuel, right?

• Was on a multiplayer server a while back learning to refuel the Tomcat with a couple other guys. I bumped the tanker lightly. Next thing you know it starts descending. I think the crew started bailing out. No one got to refuel. My instruments were dead and even my compass didn't work. I did manage to set her down safely though.

• Ate dinner and tried again behind a heavier.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• He was talking about MS Flight, not MS FS. That was the "light" version of FS made free several years ago.

He mentioned both, his first post was "MS FS", which isn't MS Flight, I'm aware of the difference. MS Flight was 10 years ago now. I just thought he was referring to MSFS as well as Flight when he said it he liked it, misread what he said a bit I think though, liking "Flight" but asking if you'd tried MSFS.

• He mentioned both, his first post was "MS FS", which isn't MS Flight, I'm aware of the difference. MS Flight was 10 years ago now. I just thought he was referring to MSFS as well as Flight when he said it he liked it, misread what he said a bit I think though, liking "Flight" but asking if you'd tried MSFS.

Yeah, you're right.

I'll add, MS FS is a must fly at least once for any flight sim enthusiast.

• Have you tried out the new MS FS? I really liked flight for its graphics and ease of use but it's nowhere to be found anymore.

I got it for free with my $5 a month Xbox subscription on my computer. I don't even know why I have it because I haven't owned an Xbox for about 10 years.

You can identify an unknown force by firing one shot and judging the response.

- If the unknowns respond with precise, regimented rifle fire, they are British.

- If they respond with heavy machinegun fire, they are German.

- If nothing happens for a few minutes, then your whole position gets leveled by artillery, they are American.

- If they surrender, they're French.

:littlered

• DCS has roots that go way back, 27 years now. Anyone remember this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Su-27_Flanker_(video_game)

Oh yes, I still have that box/game. I was one of the tards that ran the head to head ladder for Flanker 1.5 back in the day.

When I was at combatsim.com, Carl Norman, the director at that time of SSI's ED/DCS division was a good friend of ours, did tons of advertising with us, and was very active in our forums and whatnot, plus was always available for interviews and articles, of which we wrote many.

There almost was no DCS, they came very, very close to shuttering the doors back during my time working in that industry, they were looking at a pretty terrible outcome post dot.com bust. Here is the letter Carl wrote to have us post on our site and try and get the community to pitch in with $$ to help save them. The community responded, big time, and here we are today.

The long version of Carl's letter/etc is at the link below if anyone is interested in reading about DCS history. I'll quote in a few relevant paragraphs for tildeer. Carl was loyal to us as we were to him/ED in those days, notice how he encourages simmers to come to our forums at combatsim.com, and that the new info/materials will be posted to our site first, before anywhere else online back then. Again, the community, in particular our members at csim (250,000 registered forum users, and 2 million unique hosts/month on the site), really threw in, big time.

http://www.combatsim.com/memb123/htm/2001/02/cnorman/

• Did some more instrument work in the Huey with my bro today. I complained about how dynamic the Huey is in response to power/collective changes. He said the real bird does not change pitch as much when you add or remove collective/power.

• We don't have an Iraqi terrain but the first mission I'm going to create for the AH-64D will be this raid on Baghdad.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• We don't have an Iraqi terrain but the first mission I'm going to create for the AH-64D will be this raid on Baghdad.

Hah, that'll be awesome, count me in on that. I still remember when they reported on that mission from their command bunker for the media in GW1 - pretty incredible operations, those old Pave Lows were fantastic.

Why wait? ;)

Drop the brick Rick, it ain't no trick, get yourself free.

"It's no longer our job to wake the sheep. It's time to wake the other lions."

giphy.gif

• Indeed. I can't include the Apache yet but I can set up an invasion. I'm thinking the Syria terrain which is the most developed I think. Or the Persian Gulf. I'll have to study them to see which is best suited.