My crap DCS Thread

• First, establish level flight at 150ish. Do it within 1000' AGL to help you judge whether you are climbing or descending. Don't worry about AOA. Once you've established that then focus on AOA.

• I remember the first version of Falcon. Had for both my Amiga and IBM which I ran on my bridgeboard in CGA. If you didn't have the right AOA on touchdown it would kill you.

• 14 is ideal for the final glideslope. So to transition from level to descent is a matter or reducing your pitch for descent and power to maintain the AOA.

• Landing is not trivial. It happens every flight. Pin point landing on a carrier at night in stormy seas requires ultimate control. Precise control of the aircraft is required for formation flying and air refueling. You think Maverick pulled 4Gs inverted a few feet from that Mig-28 without having complete control and understanding of his aircraft?

• Most planes experience adverse yaw when initially banking. That is when the nose of the aircraft yaws to the left when you bank to the right and vice versa. I've experienced that in all the GA planes I've flown. You counter with the rudder. They say the Tomcat, unlike most, does not do that but has proverse yaw instead. The opposite of adverse yaw. I don't see it but I defer to the experts. They say this is most pronounced when your pitch exceeds 20 degrees positive and you should then bank with the rudder pedals instead of the aileron control.

A simplified implementation of a plane like most flight sims, including Aces High, can be fun. Especially if you don't want to spend the time learning all the dynamics of real flight. But, DCS takes it to a more realistic level. You can jump in and duke it out with others but if that's all you do you're missing a lot of satisfaction that's available.

• ACM is a lot like the game of Chess. There are a lot of moves and counter moves. Thinking two, three, or four moves ahead of the other guy is what wins the fight. You can't do that unless you understand the capabilities of your aircraft and your enemy's. Although there are billions of possible combinations in the game of Chess a high fidelity flight sim offers almost infinitely more. Like quantum probability though, some outcomes are more likely than others.

A good sim requires you to learn the basics before the advanced.

• ACM is a lot like the game of Chess. There are a lot of moves and counter moves. Thinking two, three, or four moves ahead of the other guy is what wins the fight. You can't do that unless you understand the capabilities of your aircraft and your enemy's. Although there are billions of possible combinations in the game of Chess a high fidelity flight sim offers almost infinitely more. Like quantum probability though, some outcomes are more likely than others.

A good sim requires you to learn the basics before the advanced.

I've found that ACM in DCS, at least very close range fights with guns in jets, it comes down to knowing your aircraft's advantages over the threat you're facing (duh right), and this is mainly knowing when to turn it into either a 1 circle or 2 circle fight, and when and when NOT to turn it into a rate fight. Also knowing when and how to get into and get out of said 1/2 circle and rate fights. Generally I've found the F14 to have the best turn rate with the flaps down and at mach .5 or so, but it's got a squirlly gun sight/radar cue that can be hard to get used to using accurately. The Hornet is fantastic at 1 circle, and can also out rate certain other planes at certain alts/weights/etc. Mirage is a great all rounder, but it too also suffers from a crazy, I mean crazy gun sight in the HUD, absolutely spastic. That and the 30mm guns have very low velocity which affects the trajectory and loft. Dual 30mm though, and once you figure them out, very good boomboom on target.

The F16 is probably my favorite, get it into 450kts or so range and you'll out rate everyone, and laugh while you're doing it as they spazz about trying out defenses that don't work. Easier said than done though sometimes to get and keep that 450kts energy, but if you be patient, relax the pull/gs in the stick in a 2 circle typical round and round we go fight, the F16 will get that sucker into your HUD inevitably, and it's gunsight/radar is improved greatly over first release.

• Just havin' some fun Elfie. Of course it's up to you to decide what you want out of the sim. I want it all. :wink

No worries at all. I'm having fun learning even if things don't make sense sometimes. I still cold start when possible to get teh "feel" of operating the aircraft and not just flying it. We flew in AirWarrior and Aces High but we didn't operate the aircraft.

Make no mistake, while I itch to do battle with both AI and human opponents (sometimes I fly F-15 missions just to get a quick fix), at the same time I understand I need to learn to operate the aircraft in order to fight it effectively. I can use the gun, Sidewinders and Sparrow missiles on the F-15 pretty effectively but I have yet to learn how to operate the radar in BVR mode. Or how to navigate...or a2a refuel...or "proper" landing procedures....

The F-14 is much harder to keep in the air than any of the later fly-by-wire aircraft. It requires far more focus just to keep it flying straight and level. (I still haven't seen your video on the auto pilot.) I barely know how to use the gun and Sidewinders but I have no idea how to use my radar to get a computer computed lead for my gunsight. Cap from Grim Reapers called it a PAL lock. Yeah ok, I'll get there....lol

I want to make kneeboard pages for all sorts of things and I'd also like to number them if possible to put them towards the front. When you use Notepad++ to create the document (?) what do you save it as? Png..jpeg...

• Use the auto pilot when appropriate. Makes flying much easier.

I use VA to turn it on. My "auto on" turns on both the autopilot and alt hold. Then use the AP ref to hold at various altitudes.

• Use whatever editor you want to create the text. Then I use greenshot to capture and save the image. DCS will use most image formats I believe. Just drop them in the appropriate folder.