My crap DCS Thread

• Now you need to figure out why your wing sweep is inconsistent. Watch that last video I made. It will help you troubleshoot.

Wing sweep works fine when I do a cold start and takeoff. It's not so fine after an air start...after an air start I can sweep them forward/aft manually with no difficulty. It's the auto sweep that doesn't want to cooperate.

• Odd.

Regarding the Angle of Attack. It really is easier to land when you can control that. I posted a video showing how to practice that in level flight. Learn it and it will be your friend.

• All modern jets have an AOA indicator I think and really need to be used for approach and landing. Nothing like that in the Piper's and Cessna's I flew long ago. I loved coming in high and slipping those down to touch down way back when. Should stick to those if seat of the pants fly you want. ;)

• I think probably the fastest way to learn to control the plane is to practice refueling. It can be very frustrating because it requires very precise control which requires understanding and anticipation of the plane's flight characteristics. Spend the time though and the rest seems comparatively easy.

• Virpil has an F14 stick too, I don't have the VKB one for my VKB GF2/3 sticks yet, but I've got a couple of the Virpil ones for all my Virpil bases. They work great for the DLC controls. It's the stick on the far left of the row of my Virpil compatible sticks in the pic.

That's quite a collection Gman. :thumbsup

• Virpil has an F14 stick too, I don't have the VKB one for my VKB GF2/3 sticks yet, but I've got a couple of the Virpil ones for all my Virpil bases. They work great for the DLC controls. It's the stick on the far left of the row of my Virpil compatible sticks in the pic.

What is the model name of the Virpil F-14 grip? I ask because I'm not seeing anything that has F-14 in the name yet...

• I think probably the fastest way to learn to control the plane is to practice refueling. It can be very frustrating because it requires very precise control which requires understanding and anticipation of the plane's flight characteristics. Spend the time though and the rest seems comparatively easy.

I've been going down the list of training missions, navigation is next in line. I'll probably practice carrier traps for a bit then do the navigation mission and then start refueling practice.

• If you want to simulate the actual DLC control you could map it to a rotary and start with it centered and then always return it to center before taking your hand off it. The only difference is that there would be no spring pressure opposing any movement from center.

• I've never used ILS (only available for carrier recoveries) or the auto throttle in the Tomcat. That training was postponed in CVW11 because of the broken carriers. I'll have to watch a video on that.

The TACAN is pretty much it for Navigation in the Tomcat and is pretty easy to use. A TACAN will give you relative distance and bearing which will pinpoint your position on a map.

• Way back when I did some real flying in small planes VOR was all the radio nav you had. VOR has bearing only, no range. You had two VOR radios though so you could get a bearing on both and pinpoint your position based on where those radials intersected.

• My strategy is to use voice attack for most things that are infrequent or are not needed in the heat of battle. For example I might say radar on/off in VA but use stick mappings for selecting targets and deploying weapons. I don't want to have to be remembering commands when things get hectic. Muscle memory is quicker.

• One thing to be careful to avoid or be aware of, stick/throttle mappings that have a fixed position for a function rather than a momentary toggle type activation. For example, on the Warthog I have some switches that are mapped to engine functions by default. These switches are not return to center toggles but have different functions in each position. They stay in the position they are left in. There is a setting in DCS that allows you to read all the switches on start up. If you use that and leave a switch in a position like fuel flow off you'll start off in an air start with an engine starved of fuel.

I unmapped all of those manually as I was having all sorts of unexpected things happening. The easiest way to see if a switch is mapped is pull up the control configuration page and work all your switches.

• This will provide a setting for some interesting scenarios.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4383025#post4383025

This week our third-party Ugra Media announced that DCS: Syria is approaching it’s final

stages of development. This map covers most of the eastern coast of the Mediterranean Sea,

it includes several climatic zones and territories of 5 states - Syria, Israel, Lebanon,

Turkey and Jordan.