My crap DCS Thread

• I'd like to spend more time with the F-16, getting familiar with all of the systems. Flying around shooting missiles is the easy part. Using the plane effectively in coordination with others takes more effort. There are many good videos on all aspects of this plane but nothing beats interacting with others in a training environment. I'm going to spend some time on this.

I've got a few more chores to complete today and then it looks like a couple days rain here. I'll hit you up here and maybe we can get on Discord for some F-16 work?

I'm very novice, so apologies in advance.

• I have very little time in the F-16 but will get the quick startup down and study the navigation systems. Straight in landing is pretty easy in the plane but there is a military break pattern observed too. Though not as strictly adhered to as the Navy.

I can fly after 3MDT on Wednesdays and Thursdays and just about any time on other days.

• It's obvious that you are far more capable in this sim than I, so here's what I'm thinking...

We get on a server and vox. Then I hop in a Red Air jet and fly some pre-planned routes so you can translate the radar to what you KNOW is happening BVR.

Then, I fly some random routes and you tell me what you are reading... I give feedback.

Final phase will be some dissimilar A2A.

Once you feel proficient, you teach me how to use it. :biggrin

• I'll take a look at the radar in the F-16 today. While familiar with it in many other sims over the decades DCS' realism makes much different.

• I watched 4 videos on the F-16's radar today. None really addressed how to calculate the elevation beam angle so I'll have to spend a little more time studying that. I understand how to use it to deploy 120's now. I liked the modeling of those 40 mile range AIM-120's in sims long past. DCS requires a little more personal interaction.

• My videos are very unpolished. I have only a vague idea of what I'm going to say before I start recording and it shows. Hope they help some though.

• Here's the mission I set up for that video. It starts right where the video starts. Soon as you start in the plane press escape and set up your controls. Soon as you do that set the plane to auto pilot as I did. The rest you can see in the video. Heavies radar practice.zip

• Extract the .miz file and copy it to c:\users\<your user>\saved games\dcs.openbeta <or whatever your install is named>\Missions

• Also, something I didn't show. You can go from having a "bugged" target (has the circle around the empty box) in TWS mode to a single tracked target in STT mode. Only one target is tracked but all your radar energy is focused on it for a better track, harder for the enemy to break. Do that by pushing the TMS switch to up from a TWS bugged target.

• Also, something I didn't show. You can go from having a "bugged" target (has the circle around the empty box) in TWS mode to a single tracked target in STT mode. Only one target is tracked but all your radar energy is focused on it for a better track, harder for the enemy to break. Do that by pushing the TMS switch to up from a TWS bugged target.

The advantage to TWS mode is that when you lock your radar onto your opponent they don't know you just acquired a lock.

*Edit* I think it was the CVW-11 guys that were talking about TWS mode and how great it was going to be for the Tomcat and it's Phoenix missiles.

• TWS does focus less energy on a target and theoretically reduce the chance of a lock detection but from what I've seen in the videos this is not yet modeled correctly in DCS.

• I'm practicing Case 1 traps while supervising the ferrets. After boltering on my first two attempts I looked outside my Tomcat to see if the hook was down, it wasn't. I probably should have caught the last wire on my first pass and maybe the 1st or 2nd on my second pass, if my hook had been down that is. My third pass (with my hook down) I was making my best attempt yet and caught the 3 wire.

I'll have to look through this thread again to see what Iron had to say about using DLC because I don't think I'm using it at all.

• You can tell if DLC is on by looking back at the wing. If you see a wing slat up, it's on. If you have it mapped to a rotary the slats are controlled by that and might be up or down depending on where the dial is. Flaps must be fully extended before you can turn DLC on. If you go full power it automatically turns DLC off.

• The way it works in the actual plane is the slats will be half way up when DLC is on and the DLC control on the stick is centered. That control works like a potentiometer in that the more forward or aft you move the more up or down the slats are but it is spring loaded back to center. Neither the X-56 nor the Warthog have that exact functionality but the actual Tomcat pilots in CVW11 say it works closely enough. They also say that you should not map it to a stick rotary unless it has spring back to center which neither the X-56 nor the Warthog have. VKB does have a Tomcat stick though.

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?pr…mk-ii-f-14-tomcat-edition