My crap DCS Thread

• The solution to china is dropping infected livestock

The filthy chinks eat anything.

I remember when the Queen's husband, Prince Phillip was in Hong Kong for some thing, this was back when I lived there in 1996 for most of that year. At some event there he said something to the effect of "I love the Cantonese, if it has 4 legs and isn't a table, they shall eat it". Pip Pip!

I laughed.

• The same article that a friend of mine wrote (Tyler Rogaway) with that very picture, stated that this was a very unusual loadout.

Missed that one...

Of course the full bomb-truck loadout is "very unusual" in peacetime or low intensity conflicts, where loiter time is much more valuable so you can be there for that once-a-week single bomb drop to support troops fighting insurgents.

The all bombs plus one bag, two winders and AMRAAMs loadout is the standard/optimum strike loadout. The strikes on Syria were not low intensity warfare. To my knowledge that is the only time the 18E/F has been deployed in an actual strike role, rather than just COIN.

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see.” -- Ayn Rand

• We can agree that this pic is "a" loadout, one that might be used in a 0 threat/complete air supremacy conflict with a nation near an ocean. Maybe even a "standard or optimum" loadout, but that optimum situation would only ever occur in an environment where there was 0 threat - which is very unlikely in any near-peer fight, one that is looming closer on the horizon with China daily.

CW Lemoine and Gonky, 2 former Hornet drivers I know from DCS have specifically said that the SH with that single tank/max a2g loadout has a max unrefuled range of at best 350nm radius, maybe pushing out to 390nm under certain wind/etc circumstances. The A6 could carry a few thousand more lbs than that loadout, and had nearly triple the unrefueled range. That's my only point, and it's accurate, CW Lemoine has answered a ton of my questions for the 2nd book I've been working on (South China sea conflict), and my USN characters have very specific conversations about how the USN didn't replace it's long range strike capability due to cancelled programs even after the retirement of the A6 and A7. Yes, any non low observable platform is going to have to be used very carefully in a very contested environment like around China with the various threat platforms like the HQ9 and HHQ9 naval missiles etc.

The SH despite the stuff done to it, isn't a L/O platform, and is just as vulnerable as the past airframes, so it's an apples to apples comparison IMO. Again, my point is just that the USN lost the ability to hit out at long range and keep the CVN group further away from threats, as the stuff that makes a high threat environment contested would have to be destroyed by means other than bombs from strike fighters (non stealth ones at least) anyway first, as Storch has said.

The block 3 upgrades to the SH will improve things a bit. The centerline IR target pod will lose 150 gallons, but conformal tanks will make up for that and also free up a couple pylons, which will have a neutral effect on range capability, but gain 4000lbs+ of missiles and bombs.

• I don't disagree with any of that, with the possible exception of the first part about "0 threat/complete air supremacy conflict" -- They were used in Syria three years ago. A country with modern aircraft and SAM systems... And Russian fighters with Russian pilots protecting their national interests there... Although engaging U.S. jets is probably not conducive to protecting their interests so they stayed out of it.

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see.” -- Ayn Rand

• That's a HUD camera. They made it removeable because the real life pilots would carry an allen wrench and remove it. If often blocks the view of the Velocity Vector Indicator and is annoying.

• Iron, you or somebody (not me ie) should try and organize a weekly FW DCS night - we have lots of guys here into it right now, could be some good times, even if we only did stuff like practice a2a refueling. Some heads up gun duels could be a lot of fun too, good learning experience as well.

• Iron, you or somebody (not me ie) should try and organize a weekly FW DCS night - we have lots of guys here into it right now, could be some good times, even if we only did stuff like practice a2a refueling. Some heads up gun duels could be a lot of fun too, good learning experience as well.

One thing that could be fun about that is many could watch without participating. Only need to download the free software. Everyone on Discord. Free bar. Well, if you come to my house.

• I played with it a bit, finally managed to start the P51 and taxi it... Using mouse or hat switch for views is a non starter though

If politicians only got paid according to their district's economic success, there would be no more Democrats.

• Yeah, need TrackIR or equivalent. I have extra lighted clips I can give ya if you go that route. You can also get a PS3 camera on ebay for $10-$15 but you have to take it apart and remove the IR blocking filter and add in a new filter made from a floppy disk. Then use Opentrack or something similar.