My crap DCS Thread

• When processing power and memory was very limited programmers worked hard to optimize. As both grew programmers got lazy.

• I don't agree. It's not that they got lazy, but the complexity grew exponentially. The man hours required to produce a game back in the day was infinitesimal compared to now.

Seven years ago Grand Theft Auto V cost 265 million Dollars to make, with a team of more than 1,000 people. Only a handful of Hollyweird movies cost more, or involved more people.

Star Citizen is at 250+ million with no end in sight...

These days video/computer games is the largest entertainment industry by any measure.

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see.” -- Ayn Rand

• I don't think you can compare Star Citizen with anything else. The $250 mil wasn't well spent.

• Tried air refueling in Air Force aircraft a few times. They use the boom instead of the basket. I've gotten the hang of the basket but not the boom. Been a few weeks since I tried and thought I'd get a little more practice. Harder than the basket in some ways, easier in others. I did manage to hook up but not sure how long I could have maintained that position. I got the lights on the nose of the 135 mixed up initially.

Go Air Force!

<might have to wait a few for HD>

• Yeah but it is commonly called a basket in DCS.

Maybe you can tell me why they call a Carrier The Boat.

There doesn't seem to be a clear line between boats and ships. Some say a ship carries boats. I would think size would be the deciding factor.

• The US Navy. like most navies, seems steeped in tradition. No one knows how many of those traditions got started. Sailors are a superstitious lot. Guess it comes with living on a fickle sea.

• I know people who still wont allow bananas on their boat

You can identify an unknown force by firing one shot and judging the response.

- If the unknowns respond with precise, regimented rifle fire, they are British.

- If they respond with heavy machinegun fire, they are German.

- If nothing happens for a few minutes, then your whole position gets leveled by artillery, they are American.

- If they surrender, they're French.

:littlered

• I tried air refueling in the A-10 many years ago and pretty sure I was successful at least once. Maybe it was a dream. Anyhow, practiced a bit in the F-16 and getting a handle on the boom refueling. Decided to try the A-10 again. My first attempt to connect failed because I got to the tanker and realized I didn't know how to "open the door". Watched a video and tried again. Even though this plane is not fly by wire and requires constant control input I think it's easier than the F-16 because the boom connects right in front of you.

My second attempt.

• Advice I can offer to anyone having trouble air refueling is don't chase the tanker, know your throttle, and trim the aircraft. Chasing leads to pilot induced oscillation. Don't react, anticipate. That's especially true with the throttle. Know where the throttle is when you are matching the tankers speed. To move up advance the throttle and then return it to the matching position. Don't wait to see the speed increase. With practice you'll get a feel for how long to leave it advanced based on how for you need to move forward and how long it will take to slow back to matching speed.

• I think everyone does starting out, it's hard. Takes practice but also practicing correctly. It's good practice for formation flying too which it is of course.

• I have most of the modules in DCS and some familiarity with most. Anyone having trouble with something in particular I might help with? Maybe make a demonstration video?

• Another recommendation I'll make for anyone trying to learn a precision maneuver, set a dead zone and curves on your stick. I recommend covering any play in the center of the stick plus 2 or 3 to the dead zone. A curve of 15 will help to prevent over control when trying to make fine adjustments.