My crap DCS Thread

• With practice comes the ability to anticipate what the plane is going to do before you make the control input. That's especially important in air refueling.

• I think I covered this in another video but I just made this to focus solely on getting set up for the carrier pass. You'll stay in that configuration all the to where you make the crosswind turn and while you can leave the AP on in the turn, I only leave it on then when I forget to turn it off. May have to wait a few for hi res.

• Looks like this fall will be another big upgrade cycle for me. I was going to grab the new I9/10900k and new socket MB to replace the 9900ks I'm running now, (they are out this next week), but since it looks like nVidia's new 2080ti replacement isn't coming until Sept/Oct, or the new HP/Steam/Microsoft HP Reverb replacement (new HP Reverb G2) until fall as well, I might as well wait and to everything all at once.

The latest update from ED improved frames for me a fair bit, I have a mild OC @ 5.0 on my CPUs and fairly mid level OC on my 2080tis as well, running 150% on my Reverb for PD offline, and 1.0 online, and saw a decent improvement this last week. Sold my Rift s (both of them) for just under 700$ CAD, so made a $400 profit off of them both combined - covid shutdown their manufacture, so Ebay was getting huge $$ for them used. That said, they new stuff coming may be backlogged to shit because of covid too - Intel has the new MBs out already in stores I've seen here, just not the CPUs yet, so maybe that won't be the case.

• I did get my Virpil pedals in at last, pretty good. Really good in fact, you can make them like my Slaw Viper RX, foot on floor combat peds, or like my Slaw 109Cam peds, feet off floor completely. They're as good as either of my Slaws, and better than my VKB and MFG Crosswind pedals. Really impressed. Hopefully they get their cable situation figured out, as the pedals, newest throttle, and the latest base (CM2) all have a plug to interconnect, and be unified into one USB connection.

• I did get my Virpil pedals in at last, pretty good. Really good in fact, you can make them like my Slaw Viper RX, foot on floor combat peds, or like my Slaw 109Cam peds, feet off floor completely. They're as good as either of my Slaws, and better than my VKB and MFG Crosswind pedals. Really impressed. Hopefully they get their cable situation figured out, as the pedals, newest throttle, and the latest base (CM2) all have a plug to interconnect, and be unified into one USB connection.

What are your thoughts on throttles? I'm slowly piecing together a setup and just started with a ebay virpil warbrd base. It seems their products are constantly sold out but overall, probably the best product .

• Has anybody had anything to do with this WWSIM F18 stuff?

https://www.wwsimstore.com/STO…Jvf_vsPKi1wqlTEuRskrH4IIk

You can identify an unknown force by firing one shot and judging the response.

- If the unknowns respond with precise, regimented rifle fire, they are British.

- If they respond with heavy machinegun fire, they are German.

- If nothing happens for a few minutes, then your whole position gets leveled by artillery, they are American.

- If they surrender, they're French.

:littlered

• What are your thoughts on throttles? I'm slowly piecing together a setup and just started with a ebay virpil warbrd base. It seems their products are constantly sold out but overall, probably the best product .

I've got all 3 of their throttles, and almost all of their other products too (just not the most recent desk mounts, I have their first gen ones and Monstertech mostly). I was a 1st gen adopter of their first gen base, and have a couple Warbrds and CM2s as well. I also have a couple of the VKB Gunfighter/Space mounts/sticks. Virpil's throttles are excellent, there isn't really a peer competitor in the category, other than what Phatzo just linked in. I have a Winwing throttle en route, I passed on the stick based on other stuff I'd seen, plus I have 2 TM Hornet stick setups already,. Everyone who has the WinWing throttle that I've talked with loves the thing, so we'll see. It'll be tough to unseat Virpil's throttles, each one has been incrementally better, and the first one was great.

The switches and buttons on the latest Virpil throttle are like nothing I've pressed before. SO tactile and accurate, using them reminds me of the first time I used an IBM "M" clicky keyboard back in the early 90s. Plus it's a lot smaller footprint for those that don't want to mount it. Speaking of which IMO the very best bang/$ ratio is probably a Warbrd base, some sort of TM stick (Cougar or Warthog), and Virpil throttle, so far as a desktop non mounted setup (I prefer this for games like AH3 where there is a lot of accurate shooting involved, as I like to have my arm planted on the desk/surface for that).

Virpil has been excellent to deal with as well, no hardware issues on my end, but figuring out the software side, they've always answered me within a day, usually hours, and have connected remotely to my system to fix stuff before as well (I had a base which got a corrupted flash and wouldn't take a new one, which they fixed remotely after I shorted the two little places/reset on the main board of the stick with a pair of tweezers).

• You can identify an unknown force by firing one shot and judging the response.

- If the unknowns respond with precise, regimented rifle fire, they are British.

- If they respond with heavy machinegun fire, they are German.

- If nothing happens for a few minutes, then your whole position gets leveled by artillery, they are American.

- If they surrender, they're French.

:littlered

• Flat spin is pretty easy to recover if you have power. Flip the switch to allow asynchronous thrust. Full opposite rudder deflection and power to the engine that counters the spin. Then pull back (yes, back) on the stick. The nose drops and the plane picks up speed.

• I can put my Tomcat on the runway pretty reliably now although my airmanship while getting to the runway still needs work.

I started carrier launches and at first I couldn't seem to get lined up on the cat properly and then I figured out I just needed to be close. Then I kept crashing on takeoff...couldn't figure it out for the life of me....and then I looked out the canopy at my swept back wings as the cat slung me off the ship...

And just like that....I can take off pretty reliably from a carrier. /snickers softly

Next up is the dreaded carrier landings...

• For some reason afterburners are not allowed on takeoff for the Tomcat. Neither on the carrier or land. You can engage the burners as soon as your wheels come off the ground though. The Warthog HOTAS has "stops" that can be used to prevent going into burner unless you lift the throttle over it. I was using that when flying with the CVW11 guys. I removed it now that I'm not. No restrictions like that on any other DCS Jets I believe.

• I like making videos. Here's one to break down the Break. It's really not a good example of altitude control but you can see the factors involved.

• I bought the channel and P47, haven't had a chance to fly either yet - tomorrow. Looks great from the vid. They put a lot of the upcoming Mosquito in that vid as well - that'll be a lot of fun, twin engine WW2 plane. I still want a bomber, any bomber, WW2 or a more modern jet bomber.

• I've been thinking about getting into this. I'd have to build an external graphics card set up for my XPS, but that's not a huge deal. I reallllllllllly though they were going to get the flight modeling for the blackhawk so it could be flyable. I'd give my left nut for an HH-60G mod for this game. I've watched my friends play it, looks cool!

What graphics cards are you guys running?