My crap DCS Thread

• If you've never played it before you get one terrain and two planes free. Caucasus and the Su-25T and TF-51D. If it looks like something you're interested in we can recommend other stuff to buy first. They have regular sales with most of the planes half off.

• Think I got a couple of copies for my grandsons a few years ago at like $15 a pop. You probably won't ever see that price again but it'll go for $25 within a month or two.

• Should be fine offline but for online play you might want to double/quadruple your ram depending on how much you get to fly.

• The new X-56 I got had a sticking switch. It was the switch, not the button. Got a replacement from Amazon. The one works has a couple of issues too but I'm keeping it. Had trouble with a G900 and G903 mouse buttons. Logitech is going down the tubes.

I'll ask the Easter Bunny for a Warthog HOTAS.

Saitek has been going downhill for years. When playing AW and AH I used to buy X-45's and X-52's from Best Buy and I'd pay for the two year replacement deal. I don't think any of them lasted more than 6 months and I'd take them back and pay for the replacement deal again, I think it was 20 bucks or so.

• Look, my controls weren't set up at all. I actually had to use my twisty to control the throttle and my throttle to move the rudder. I had no idea how to deploy the flaps, and didn't know if my gear was down until I saw my shadow on short final.

So yeah... props and wings? Pfffft minor details fellas.

The fact of the matter is that I climbed out of the cockpit, strolled over to the airport restaurant, ordered a stiff cocktail and commenced to savagely hitting on the pretty waitresses... because I'm a fucking fighter pilot ya'll. I have great sunglasses and I wear a jacket with a little pocket on the sleeve to hold my fancy pen collection.

So fuck that wing, and fuck that prop... let the A&P guys worry about those sorts of things.

• Rise of Flight is pretty impressive too

You can identify an unknown force by firing one shot and judging the response.

- If the unknowns respond with precise, regimented rifle fire, they are British.

- If they respond with heavy machinegun fire, they are German.

- If nothing happens for a few minutes, then your whole position gets leveled by artillery, they are American.

- If they surrender, they're French.

:littlered

• What about FC3?

It's my understanding that the controls are a bit dumbed down? I really haven't got the time for a full on study sim right now.

They are working their way through the FC3 planes and giving them professional flight models. It's not the controls that are dumbed down, but the interface. There's no clicky-cockpit. All of it is controlled through keybindings.

All of them are like the Su-25T's interface.

• The F15 From FC3 is a lot of fun but remembering all the key strokes is a nightmare

You can identify an unknown force by firing one shot and judging the response.

- If the unknowns respond with precise, regimented rifle fire, they are British.

- If nothing happens for a few minutes, then your whole position gets leveled by artillery, they are American.

• You can identify an unknown force by firing one shot and judging the response.

• Emergency procedures for our next training session. Been practicing by shutting engines down in flight. They never respond the same way to attempts to restart. The detail in this game is amazing.