My crap DCS Thread

• This sort of thing? Adjusting the attack and decay?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I have done some public speaking and classroom training but I've never tried to present a polished video here. All mine are off the cuff and not rehearsed or scripted. Obviously. I don't want to do any of that but I do want to have a clear voice recording capability.

• Compression will make it less important to be the perfect distance from the mic.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• Teaser

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Mic test two.

• Apache is looking real good. Wop wop wop wop. I wish Superpug was still around here.

The new Virpil collective stick is working great for me right now, perfect timing since the Hind was released, and with the upcoming Apache. I've been flying the Huey a lot with the new collective stick, it's a whole different feeling than using the old throttle in reverse as I've been doing with helo sims for decades. You can mess with the tension settings with the collective base, and get it dialed in so it'll hold and stay wherever you pull it to. There are 3 different cams, and I've just stuck with the standard one they install before shipping, it has the least amount of throw, and it's where I like it.

I'm using the Sharka-50 grip -the only dedicated helo type one you can buy right now, but you can attach any other stick to it if you want- hopefully the Apache unit they say they are working on comes out soon too. The only crap thing is they didn't apply any of the decals, they sent both commie and English sets, and you have to apply them yourself, and it can be a little tricky to get into some spots under some of the hats and switches.

Matt Wagner's latest vid on the helmet targeting monocle.

• Check for the CH force feedback stick too Iron. I have one that they sent us for review back in 1999 @combatsim.com. It's excellent, easily the best FFB of the FFB era IMO. Has the Fighterstick, grip, and a base that is about say 50% larger than the regular Fighterstick base, and about 1 inch higher as well.

I see them come up now and then, I'll keep an eye out for both up here in Canada for you too if you like.

• Set up a mission for my brother during his recent visit and then I flew it. 1 Hornet vs 3 flights of Migs, 2 Migs each flight, Mig-23s, Mig-25s, and Mig 31s. Got all the Migs and ran out of fuel 2 or 3 seconds after I touched down back at Anderson. I tried to record the playback track but it lost sync and shows me crashing into the ocean early on which didn't happen. Figured this would be a good opportunity to show TacView which is a great tool for analyzing a flight.

• Just made this 2 min video on Flaff and Chairs.

This was recorded as it happened so my narrative wasn't completely accurate. There was no inbound missile at the end.

External Content youtu.be

• Happened to me 3 times in a row. Tried again today and no more crashes. I've been working with the mission editor trying to get all planes to launch all their weapons. If there's no threat, such as the naval group contains only cargo ships they will launch all of them, but not at one waypoint. Even if they are set to launch all. Set up more waypoints and they launch another volley provided the first round reached their targets, were defeated, or hit the drink. If there is a threat, like a carrier group, they launch one round, some of their missiles, then hit the other waypoints without launching the rest. Don't know if I'm just not understanding what's going on with the AI or if it's bugged.

• Question for those in the know with DCS. What should a person get when starting out in that Sim?

The base install from DCS v2.5 then what? I see folks that say get the Normandy bundle to fly the WW2 aircraft, and other saying that is a bad product and get Flaming Cliffs.

Where and what did you guys start with and what would you recommend?

fwiw I have a i9 9900K 32GB RAM, RTX2080ti game drive is running on a 1tb nvme.

trackIR and CH Fighter stick and throttle

• The sim goes way back so hard to say where I jumped in exactly. If you want to jump in and get immersed pretty quick you might start with Flaming Cliffs 3. An assortment of relatively modern simplified aircraft. A survey as opposed to study if you will. If you're ready to face a relatively steep learning curve then any of the WWII or modern planes will be satisfying. I have several of the WWII planes but have spent little time in them. I prefer the jets. I think the F-18 might give you the most bang for the buck. DCS has frequent sales with discounts as much as half off so you may want to watch for those.

• All personal preference. I've played dozens of WW2 games, so I have no desire to get into the WW2 theater in DCS.

The F-86 and the Mig-15 are good, but IMO pointless without a Korea theater.

Flaming Cliffs 3 is a great intro to DCS, but the real game is in cockpit clicking.

My recommendation for your first full fidelity plane is the Mirage 2000. A big step up in complexity from FC3, but still manageable for a beginner. It's still being updated with help from the French Air Force, and it has enough performance to hang with the top dogs: the F-15, F-18 and similar.

• You probably already know there's no persistent official server like Aces High but there are many "squads" who host their own servers and events and are very active. I see frequent posts on the DCS forums for them recruiting. Would love to see enough interest here to get one going.

• I take a very laid back approach but have made several videos exploring some of the aircraft. I'm learning the air to ground weapons in the F-18 and just made this on using the JDAM.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!