Girls Off Grid

• From what I can tell, the older girl started it all with the idea to grow the pot. Looks like they did and maybe still do that on the side. I think she's very smart and she has learned a lot about farming based on her dad's business. It seems like they have figured out all of this stuff as they went along. For sure they are raising those animals and taking care of that place. I think it's really cool. I'm off to run some errands. I'll post a video later.

To be honest, the house looks like it has power. Looks like a manufactured home. looks like they have several other young people helping out too.

• Yeah... a vid would be nice. the only non irrigated walnuts I know of are black walnuts. Couple of droughts would kill that crop. I will view the vid... if they have any pot tho they can't have guns. It seems the older gal was pretty well off... never a bad thing when doing something of this scale. They were able to put in a lot of expensive start up stuff and hire people.

As for the rest of us.... yep... there are all sorts of levels of living off/semi off the grid. From old west get your water in buckets from the stream and have an outhouse and kerosene lamps to something close to the life most of us insist on. My brothers place in canada had a log cabin and wood stove and kerosene lights with an old generator for once a week movie night. No refridgeration (root cellar) and a privy. No hot water unless you heated it on the stove and the cold water came from a line we ran from a creek above him.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• Mike probably got all butt-puckered because the older gal said she didn't allow the seasonal pot workers to smoke on the job because potheads fuck everything up.

LOL, I quit smoking weed back in June, Gina- once they legalized it the buzz was removed. That's also a BS clue though- first of all, with the small amount they had and the girls they have they could handle the manicuring themselves- no trimmigants required.

Generally speaking the guys working at grows dig dirt, cut brush, and all the outdoor stuff and the girls do the trimming... this time of year it's mostly all done but if you go to a farm and check it out you'll see half a dozen Humboldt Hunnies trimming indoors and three or four guys doing pick and shovel work outside.

• you guys didn't read the article. Everything is there. They hire seasonal workers, they work 15 hour days to maintain the farm, the county no longer allows commercial cultivation of pot, but they did that until late last year

They've had bears half eat animals and twice found them alive the next day and had to put them down. Can't you boys read none? Jesus

Those women are awesome.

Just because you can read something doesn't mean it's true. English walnuts require constant water- in fact almonds and English walnuts require more water than any other crop. Also look at their pics- those are foothills, not mountains. Ain't no bears there.

BTW- we have bears up in Laytonville. They get into garbage, and one stole a flat of catfood and we found empty cans for half a mile but a bear has never, EVER attacked any livestock. We have raccoons too, and they'll fuck up our cats, but the bears are harmless.

• Just because you can read something doesn't mean it's true. English walnuts require constant water- in fact almonds and English walnuts require more water than any other crop. Also look at their pics- those are foothills, not mountains. Ain't no bears there.

BTW- we have bears up in Laytonville. They get into garbage, and one stole a flat of catfood and we found empty cans for half a mile but a bear has never, EVER attacked any livestock. We have raccoons too, and they'll fuck up our cats, but the bears are harmless.

you don't know what you're talking about with black bears. They live in almost any kind of environment. They are in the foothills (like we had them in Phoenix), grasslands, juniper, flatlands, marshes.... pretty much anywhere. I saw videos of their place. Black bears would have NO problem there. Her pig that had it's shoulder eaten off... that was probably something else. Maybe a sick animal. Mountain loin, coyote....

You guys focused on the pot and they don't even do that anymore. Says right in the beginning of the article, so yeah... reading comprehension.

I need to look at what kind of walnuts they grow, but they have a big-ass orchard. Just because it's not irrigated doesn't mean they can't put water there. The vast majority of walnut orchards were non-irrigated until recent decades. They don''t need to be irrigated. Farmers learned that the trees respond really well to irrigation and that's what started that. They are more than capable of growing with water in the soil from rainwater and water at the root level, like any other tree.

Everything they say in the article seems to be true. Like I said, I said a video - 15 minutes long that some guy filmed while working and staying there. He posted 4 different videos over about a year.

• They're not good Farmers.

They're good marketers.

There's no off-grid.

They're entire customer base is built off of social media.

Good for them.

Doing their thing and being creative about it. Hopefully with tons of success.

But they ain't living the pioneer life out there. That's for sure.

• How do you know that? The one girl only has an Instagram page. They sell truckloads of walnuts at a time from what I saw. The house has power and is relatively nice. They're 100 miles from the nearest town, so yeah, they're off grid and pretty remote.

I think the British paper got the entire article from the Instagram page. They used all the same pictures.

I doubt they're any kind of pioneer lifestyle, but it sure looks like they are self sustained as much as anyone can be. I mean, in the video I saw they had store bought bread and gallon water bottles.

The girl who runs it is smart, and like you said she's a marketer. I like her

• Yeah well,

Picked up a 25' rockwood. Got everything pretty much buttoned up and she's ready to go.

Joined the electric co-op and should have a timetable for new service today.

Found a local with a bobcat to grade the camper seat and dig the holes for a shed..

Probably headed down next week to get everything put together. By no means off grid but considering where we are, it's the middle of nowhere...

flamewarriors.net/index.php?attachment/26356/flamewarriors.net/index.php?attachment/26359/flamewarriors.net/index.php?attachment/26358/

But I still have to mow..

• Get a couple of goats? in a Moat? with a Boat? ;)

"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it."

Sir Terry Pratchett   :poof

• Walnuts are water intensive agriculture.

One pig? ONE? No way. One boar three sows to reliably feed that many people and sell surplus.

I read up on them. They're not. Past 50 years ago, they were always dry farmed. That means no irrigated and getting their water from the soil. They don't need to be irrigated and never used to be.

• It it like an exclusive dyke-commune, or do they have guys/husbands on the side when they visit the real world? They should turn that into a reality show...

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see.” -- Ayn Rand

• It it like an exclusive dyke-commune, or do they have guys/husbands on the side when they visit the real world? They should turn that into a reality show...

Looks like they have plenty of friends hanging out and helping. This stoner looking guy filmed 4 videos.

Like I said, it looks like they are learning as they go, but it does seem like they are really trying to make it go They seem. to be putting in a lot of work.

The girl who started it was never exposed to any of this before. She was a pampered Beverly Hills girl. I think it's cool.

• Oh I don't know, after watching the video.. That talking about drinking their menstrual blood yuck! and all the new age-y type shit plus what looked like too much crap vegan food.
    Like their house and land though and their approach to their animals. I had a good giggle when the girl is showing dude around the chickens and feeding them and he asks "What's up with that one?" and she says "That's a rooster" lol! Humans, so far detached from nature...

"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it."

Sir Terry Pratchett   :poof

• Oh I don't know, after watching the video.. That talking about drinking their menstrual blood yuck! and all the new age-y type shit plus what looked like too much crap vegan food.
    Like their house and land though and their approach to their animals. I had a good giggle when the girl is showing dude around the chickens and feeding them and he asks "What's up with that one?" and she says "That's a rooster" lol! Humans, so far detached from nature...

Yeah, I don't like that environment at all, as far as the type of people. Young stoner guys make me sick and I would hate people hanging around all the time. The girls are pretty young - just being girls. Too immature for me, but they seem nice enough.

What interests me is that land. Not that I could ever have a huge thing like that, but I really want to secure at least a couple acres in an area that will allow any kind of dwelling. I want to get a place to put a mobile home that I own.

• I think mom pretty much said how I feel about it. The older gal must have started with a ton of money. Not that there is anything wrong with that. If you go to some of the 'prepper' sites it is a little more nuts and bolts and down to earth. Most of em do not know how to market tho... and don't really care.

Those 'girls' one is 40.... I would not mind doing a tour of the place. It would be very neat to see how they did things instead of just guessing. Wonder if they have a website where they answer questions?

Sooo... this old guy on Youtube has a vid that is extremely popular. He is out in the sticks but far from off the grid. He has maybe 230 acres and a shooting range with all kinds of targets. He has sponsors etc. He makes right at a million a year. I would love to live like that.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)