GScholz, looking for your opinion

• GScholz looking for your help.

I have an employee who's 17 year old daughter is planning on moving to Spain for college. Of course it's over a boy she met online and I believe only 1 time in person. Apparently he comes from a wealth family in Spain and they split their time between Spain and Miami Beach Florida. Of course this threw up all sorts of red flags for her mother and me as well. The daughter is an attractive naïve girl and doesn't see any danger in it at all. But I did some research into Spain and human/sex trafficking and was surprised to see it was actually just classified as a crime in 2014. And it's prosecution really doesn't seem to be a priority. One article called it "a leisure activity", meaning they prosecute it when they feel like it. Really didn't give the warm and fuzzy feeling when I saw that.

Although the mother really can't stop her because she's turning 18, she refuses to help out financially. In steps the grandmother who decided that if she's going to go through with it she will help her financially. So as of now she's planning on going this summer.

My question to you is, what are your thoughts on a young American girl living on her own in Spain. What's the attitude towards Americans there, general safety of the region, etc.

I ask because you're the only person I know who has and is spending a significant amount of time there.

MNN on 6/18/19

"chump will assuredly lose 2020 barring an event that cancels the election - he just cant keep his scummy yankee mouth shut"

MNN on 6/24/19

Chump is going to tote an ass kicking nov 2020

MNN on 11/14/19

fact is it is within a year of the election, the Senate will not allow him to appoint her successor. Nov 2020 he will lose.

• Seems pretty safe to me, but I'm not a young girl... I suspect their attitude towards Americans is the same as most places -- Self-righteous pricks with too much money, but generally OK people? Should be fine.

Prostitution is widespread here, and legal. Drug use is pretty much decriminalized, but trafficking is illegal. Some Russian mafia and other crime syndicates operate here. Murder rate is about 0.6 per 100k, or 300 per year or thereabout. New York is like 3.4... 1,700 rapes.

As with any country it is more about where you go... And where you don't go.

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see.” -- Ayn Rand

• Thanks G!

More than anything the whole internet "boyfriend" thing just screams trafficking set up to me. I hope I'm wrong but time will tell I guess. She finds out tomorrow if she's accepted and get grants towards it.

MNN on 6/18/19

"chump will assuredly lose 2020 barring an event that cancels the election - he just cant keep his scummy yankee mouth shut"

MNN on 6/24/19

MNN on 11/14/19

fact is it is within a year of the election, the Senate will not allow him to appoint her successor. Nov 2020 he will lose.

• Trafficking? ... You mean like as a business opportunity? You sicko!

If you mean (legal) prostitutes... No need to drive all the way here. I could have just have pulled over in Denmark.

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see.” -- Ayn Rand

• While I think the girl will be alright she might want to be educated in the tactics so called "loverboys" use to get their infatuated girls into prostitution so she can recognise the signs early. There is a method to their system and usually don't start with unusual propositions till after a month or 2 , lulling their victims into false sense of security. Come across it daily in my work unfortunately and it's very disturbing. First signs as with most unequal relationships is isolating her from family contact..

"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it."

Sir Terry Pratchett   :poof

• Where she will go in Spain ?

I've some acquaintances in Barcelona and Sévilla she could use as a shelter in case all turn bad.

I'll find out. Thanks man!

While I think the girl will be alright she might want to be educated in the tactics so called "loverboys" use to get their infatuated girls into prostitution so she can recognise the signs early. There is a method to their system and usually don't start with unusual propositions till after a month or 2 , lulling their victims into false sense of security. Come across it daily in my work unfortunately and it's very disturbing. First signs as with most unequal relationships is isolating her from family contact..

This is the kind of shit I would worry about. She's so dam naive about life in general. Most people are completely clueless about human/sex trafficking. But it's a very real threat no matter where you're at or how "confident" you are about being able to protect yourself.

And never having lived on her own and making that transition in a foreign country is a giant leap.

MNN on 6/18/19

MNN on 6/24/19

MNN on 11/14/19

• This is the kind of shit I would worry about. She's so dam naive about life in general. Most people are completely clueless about human/sex trafficking. But it's a very real threat no matter where you're at or how "confident" you are about being able to protect yourself.

And never having lived on her own and making that transition in a foreign country is a giant leap.

It's a very real worry to have. While I traveled by myself aged 17, they were different times than we are in now and I never went anywhere to join a love interest... Love can blind one to so many dangers it's worse than a drug in many cases.
    Typical cases go as follows:
    1: all is well and blissful, the happy couple can't get enough of each other and "loverboy" praises her physical appearance and sexual prowess..
    2: after about 2 to 3 months, he claims to have told his mates about her sexual prowess and he asks her to bed one of his friends because he owes him something...
    3: before long she has to sleep with all his friends (who pay him) and suddenly more "friends" come out of the woodwork..
    4: Meanwhile he's checking out other chicks, lowering her self esteem with negative comments about her looks and general comments to lower her self esteem..
    5: The way to keep him happy is to keep doing for him what he asks....
    6: Attempts to contact family or friends are met with severe punishment..

You would not believe the amount of 12-17 yr olds this happens to on a daily basis...Some are trapped for years.. it's sickens me to my guts but that's why I do what I do...

"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it."

Sir Terry Pratchett   :poof

• Thanks for the info. And I would believe it.

My family was targeted a little over a year ago while on vacation. The short version, my wife was drugged while we were at a restaurant with opioids. When it started to hit my wife we told them to call 911 because something was wrong. Instead the owners friend (who made a point to introduce himself earlier) shows up with a van offering to take us to the hospital, much faster than ambulance they said.

When we refused and demanded an ambulance and it showed up, they tried getting me to ride with my wife and leave the kids there. Like that was going to happen... Took over a month to get the blood test back, no tox screen kits on the island. Got the FBI involved and after a few phone calls and sending them the results, a year later nothing has happened. Last time I called I got "we can't comment on an open invitation". Pretty much, don't call us we'll call you.

That's why I'm so adamant about people not putting themselves into situations that make them vulnerable. This shit can happen to anyone anywhere. Let alone high risk situations.

MNN on 6/18/19

MNN on 6/24/19

MNN on 11/14/19

• victoria bitter is the best

beer i have drunk. i have been drinking it for years. it is way better than the local swamp water.

i bought a 12 pack of corona a week ago, just to try. watery shit i had to try hard to finnish all of them.

it's a female beer.

vb is my beer