I've done it! - my first...

• This should keep you amused for a while...

I have bought my first electric car! Well, it's part electric. It's a Lexus UX 250h Hybrid. I am loving this car! I know it's not as fast as the BMW I traded, but I don't care. The Lexus is good for 70/80mph+, and with all the speed cameras there are now, I've no need to go much faster. I love the silence of this car, and I have the optional leather seats which are very comfortable. Steering/handling/cornering are as good as the BMW, even though the Lexus is only FWD. Of course, I still have the two BMW 1200cc boxer twin motorcycles, and those are my fun machines.

"Spain is made up of 17 autonomous communities, the Canaries being one, so says the Spanish constitution"

- Holden, who had failed to notice that the Spanish Constitution refers to the sovereign state, that being the KINGDOM of Spain. Just one of many examples of its name being abbreviated to "Spain" - incorrectly, in Holden's case.

• nice. Congratulations! Pics!

Here you go Nuke...

That's not a plug in hybrid is it?

Correct, it's not a plug in hybrid. I read up on those and found that they only offer you a (claimed) 35 miles of battery only travel before reverting to being a normal petrol hybrid. Not worth it, and I don't want to be bothered with buggering about with cables in the middle of nowhere, and all that.

All the energy comes from petrol?

Most of it, but not all. Some of the energy comes from regenerative braking and the harnessing of the decelerating vehicle's kinetic energy which is converted back to electrical power.

'cause in that case my Tundra has a battery too

My Lexus has two batteries. There's the big beefy traction battery, but there's also a supplemental 12v battery. The division of labour between the two batteries is not made clear, although I admit I haven't read the entire handbook.

It seems quite frugal on fuel. I did a 12 mile run this morning with some highway miles at 70-80mph, and got 49mpg.

"Spain is made up of 17 autonomous communities, the Canaries being one, so says the Spanish constitution"

- Holden, who had failed to notice that the Spanish Constitution refers to the sovereign state, that being the KINGDOM of Spain. Just one of many examples of its name being abbreviated to "Spain" - incorrectly, in Holden's case.

• Most of it, but not all. Some of the energy comes from regenerative braking and the harnessing of the decelerating vehicle's kinetic energy which is converted back to electrical power.

Where did the energy come from that accelerated your car to the speed where the regenerative braking could be employed?

• Where did the energy come from that accelerated your car to the speed where the regenerative braking could be employed?

Some of it came from the petrol, and some would have come from the traction battery, which is kept fully charged. How that was charged in the first place may well have been from an electrical source. The point is that the regenerative braking concept only works with drive systems with electric power. You can't harness the kinetic energy of a decelerating petrol car, and convert that energy back into petrol.

• So where did the energy come from originally? Way big bang back?

It's the sun stupid!

• Beet, did you get the Mark Levison sound system? I have been looking at the NX and the UX but I see that Toyota has a plugin hybred rav4 that goes 35 to 45 miles on battery alone which would mean most my driving would be on pure electric.

I'm actually hoping they do this to the UX since they share a common platform. What puts me off of the UX that it's FWD and the only 4wd is done with electric drive of the rear wheels. Since we have winter for half the year I need 4wd.There are a few options out there now,ford has some plugins so does Mitsubishi but I would only consider a toyota or honda product. I've had a couple german cars and while nice they cost too much to maintain and IMHO arent as good as the J A pan company cars.

• Some of it came from the petrol, and some would have come from the traction battery, which is kept fully charged. How that was charged in the first place may well have been from an electrical source. The point is that the regenerative braking concept only works with drive systems with electric power. You can't harness the kinetic energy of a decelerating petrol car, and convert that energy back into petrol.

The point is that in a non plug in hybrid, it is a petrol car and some of the petrol supplied energy is saved in a battery rather than just heating up brake rotors and wasting it.

• Beet, did you get the Mark Levison sound system?

I just have the standard sound system, whatever it's called.

If you're doing a commute of 35-45 miles, I can see how the plug-in hybrid option would pay off, although I did not choose to go the plug-in route myself. I was a big fan of 4WD, which I had on my BMW and my three Audis before that, but they were more powerful than this Lexus. I'm getting on OK with FWD. I didn't want the E4 because it would have made the luggage space even smaller!

Even without plug-in, I'm getting about 49mpg.

• "Spain is made up of 17 autonomous communities, the Canaries being one, so says the Spanish constitution"

• It's kind of bizarre the level of misunderstanding about electric cars, like Teslas. (Not a petrol car with regen like Beet1e's)

They are touted as emission free in some circles, yet if they plug into the grid in the US, they are 35% natural gas and 30% coal powered. (20% Nuclear powered) and the Li Ion batteries are about 95% efficient.

Coal is about 30% efficient in making electricity, Nat Gas combined cycle is maybe 50% efficient in the fleet.

I looked up the UK's grid (The company I work for absorbed Scottish Power) and they say that Hydro, Nuclear, wind and solar put out 48% of the UK grid overtaking fossil fuel in 2019, but a pure electric in the UK is still 43% fossil powered.

I find it interesting tha Nuclear is added into the "Renewable" energy class in the UK, while it is still a bad guy in the USA. Add hydro, wind, nuclear and solar in the USA, and we come up to about 35%

A good 3 liter car (fuel use per 100 km, not displacement) probably has less a carbon footprint than charging a Tesla from the grid. Especially when looking at the CO2 made during manufacture. (Mazda thinks so, there is a recent article talking about their 2021 e-car.)

Mazda says that smaller batteries like those in its upcoming 2021 MX-30 electric crossover are more responsible than larger batteries.

65% fossil fuel powered then 95% battery efficient, then the losses in charging itself.

It looks a lot less attractive the closer you look, but I'd still get a Model S if I had $100k I didn't know what to do with.

• Pretty sure that those "studies" about gas vs EV leave out little bits of info. Such as power it takes to get the oil out of the ground then transported to a refinery. Then the power it takes to refine it then transport it to holding. Then transport it again to gas stations to be pumped into car. Which by the way burned fuel to get to the gas stations in the first place.

Whenever studies are concerned,

Just

Follow

The

Money

MNN on 6/18/19

"chump will assuredly lose 2020 barring an event that cancels the election - he just cant keep his scummy yankee mouth shut"

MNN on 6/24/19

Chump is going to tote an ass kicking nov 2020

MNN on 11/14/19

fact is it is within a year of the election, the Senate will not allow him to appoint her successor. Nov 2020 he will lose.