.357 magnum sniper revolver...

• So how high would you need to aim to hit a target at 187 yards?

MNN on 6/18/19

"chump will assuredly lose 2020 barring an event that cancels the election - he just cant keep his scummy yankee mouth shut"

MNN on 6/24/19

Chump is going to tote an ass kicking nov 2020

MNN on 11/14/19

fact is it is within a year of the election, the Senate will not allow him to appoint her successor. Nov 2020 he will lose.

• A 3" barreled pistol no less.

MNN on 6/18/19

"chump will assuredly lose 2020 barring an event that cancels the election - he just cant keep his scummy yankee mouth shut"

MNN on 6/24/19

MNN on 11/14/19

fact is it is within a year of the election, the Senate will not allow him to appoint her successor. Nov 2020 he will lose.

• I think my shortest pistol, a 32 magnum had a 2.5" barrel... I got rid of it because ammo was too hard to find and expensive. You get comparable ballistics from 9mm.

Still, you'd be pissing up a rope hoping to hit anything beyond 50 yards with a barrel that short.

No trees were killed in the posting of this bullshit, however, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• I think my shortest pistol, a 32 magnum had a 2.5" barrel... I got rid of it because ammo was too hard to find and expensive. You get comparable ballistics from 9mm.

Still, you'd be pissing up a rope hoping to hit anything beyond 50 yards with a barrel that short.

Exactly, that's why I'm saying the LEO was on dumb motherfucker to take a 187 yard shot on a perp holding a hostage with a 3" barrel pistol. No excuse for that.

MNN on 6/18/19

MNN on 6/24/19

MNN on 11/14/19

• Ok... there are lots of balistic tables which I tend to pore over. Ok... you guys need to look at actual ballistic tables. this is a good one http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/

It shows as an example.... 158 grain 38 spl compared to .357 mag even at 200 yards the difference in DROP is not that great. but at 100 yards which... is actually the sweet spot their is no practical difference. I have been doing this for a long time and kept records. Like you guys I could not imagine how my oh so powerful 44 mag loads did not shoot flat as fuck compared to a 38 or even LOL.... 32 auto at 100 yards but it is what it is. 100 yards simply is not far.

In the example.... the 38 spl goes from 850 fps at the muzzle to 786 at 100 yards... almost nothing.

The .357 goes from 1250 at the muzzle to ...............1056 fps at 100 yards... the .357 actually lose more (percent wise) than the 38spl... how can this be you say? Well... pistol bullets are not the best for BC... BC is more important than velocity once you hit ?? 200 yards ??

Ok... in the case of a 3" .357 mag.... 187 yards... say you shot that gun out at the gravel pits from 50-400 yards... you know how much it drops. Windage is rarely the problem with most shooters. Most will string rounds vertically. It takes hundreds of thousands of rounds to have well rounded groups.

But.... where is that .357 mag round at 187 yards? how much does it drop? with a 25 yard zero? it drops around 30 inches. That means... that if the cop knew that and was a decent shot... he could save her life by aiming for the guys hair.... and taking out his lung and liver... which... is what happened.

Zen shot? sure. A miss tho would not have hit the victim unless he was an idiot. I have never missed a 100 yard handgun shot by a windage error of a couple feet.

I would have taken the shot.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• I bet you could take 100 people that are somewhat proficient with that same pistol and try to recreate that shot and none would make a "good" shot. Not one person trying it 100 times but 100 people trying it one time each.

I bet it could be done with 1,000 people and there may be a few hits but I'd bet good money there would be as many hits on the hostage as the perp.

Bad choice to shoot with a very lucky result.

MNN on 6/18/19

MNN on 6/24/19

MNN on 11/14/19

• I believe the guy was way more than somewhat proficient. This was back when cops practiced. Take 100 metallic silhouette shooters and I bet all 100 would hit the perp somewhere. Obviously a man has got to know his limits tho.

I bet every one of you here could hit a milk jug at 100 yards with a little practice.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)