Good controllers?

• Star Citizen can be used with VR, but it's using 3rd party screwing around type work arounds, and it doesn't work that well from what I've read. There is no in game support for VR. Chris Roberts said last year that eventually SC will have VR support, but as of now, not yet.

This is the projector we went with, mainly because it was a good deal @ $2k CAD open box from our local dealer we use for this sort of thing. I'm not an expert on TV/s etc, not even an amateur, but this unit was a big step up from our 1080p which was similar to the one you have now, but only 3000 lumens IIRC.

https://www.visions.ca/product…0c6A8XEAMYASAAEgJ-Y_D_BwE

Our screen is smaller than yours, 120" vs 150", and typically a larger screen sees more benefit from moving up in resolution (ie a 24" 4k monitor is useless for 4k IMO, and 27" is just barely at the point where it's worth it, etc etc). Going from 1080p to 4k using the Disney+ and Netflix 4k streaming with say for example the Marvel films, is absolutely noticeable, very noticeable and improved in fact. It's 2500 lumens.

So far as the light in your room, I'm not the one to ask, someone else here might know though. Our projector room is in a room without windows, so I've not had to consider or notice this, but I know it can be an issue for any projector or screen. No real noticeable difference in brightness or ability to see the screen with our new 4k projector @ 2500 lumens vs the old one @3000, but again, it's isolated from outside light sources due to being underground/basement.

Overall it's been absolutely worth the switch, less than $1500 USD all in to upgrade and that doesn't count any $ I might get from trading or selling the old projector, which is still worth a few hundred at least at a minimum.

• In DCS I use 4 views on my hat, slow left, slow right and slow up/down. I have a button mapped on my throttle to center the view to default.

yeah, that's the part I was wondering about

No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full

• You can use snap views in DCS too. I find those more useful than the slews.

“When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind.”

C. S. Lewis

• Do you mean the size of the base plate it sits on if you're using it for desktop (I'm assuming that since you mentioned cockpit mounting earlier and I took that to mean you weren't interested in that or a desk clamp mount)? I can measure that when I get home. Or are you wanting the measurement of the actual gimbal itself without the baseplate?

The GF2 is IMO the best stick out there, it's gimbal is just a bit better than the Virpil, it's a bit easier to switch out springs and cams (IMO), the analogue ministick is in a better spot, etc etc. They are still sold out though as of this morning, and they've said that before Xmas they'll have the Gunfighter 3 for sale, and there are pics of that base already floating around their site and elsewhere on various sim forums. The only negative is getting adapters for TM sticks is a major pita, never in stock, I've got one, and have had a lot of $ offered for it as they have been so rare. Virpil went with the TM plug, which is one thing that sucks, but I understand why they did it, to remove the need for an adapter, but those little pins are finicky at times. The system VKB uses is very solid, and is much larger which makes lining it up and locking the parts together much better and simpler. Plus the stick that comes with the GF2/3 is excellent anyway, only if you're anal (like me) about using stick X with plane Y (example plugging in the metal Cougar/WH F16/A10 stick into a GF base) would I even bother with other sticks.

• Here's the official measurements (metric): Again though the GF3 is coming out and the GF2 is officially retired now, and from the looks of it the GF3 might have a slightly different shape, it's hard to say until it comes out or VKB releases more info, so I wouldn't make any plans based on the current GF2 measurements unless you plan on getting a used one, just in case, for the next month anyway. Once the GF3 is out that would be an option, as for now it's pretty rare to find a used GF or GF2, I've only ever found one myself that wasn't sold within minutes/hours, and that was my first gen GF1 which some guy won and put it up on Ebay, and it didn't even come with a stick, which took me 10 months of waiting for VKB to get their shit together and get sticks in stock.

http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Documentations/GF2-MCG_Pro-DRW.PDF

http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Documen…s/GF2_Pro-MCG_Pro-DRW.PDF

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?pr…er-pro-basic-measurements

• The "sticktion"in particular and other gimbal related issues have struck 3 of my 4 WH sticks.

What happened on the Cougar HOTAS when Thrustmaster moved production to China, was they stopped greasing the gimbals. I went through a couple sets playing AH. The hard metal stick base ate the roll axis gimbal. You had to take it apart, install new gimbals, bag the electronics, and grease it thoroughly.

That led to a big rise in popularity in aftermarket Cougar gimbals for the Falcon 4 crowd. Glad to see that market is even bigger now.

• This is the projector we went with, mainly because it was a good deal @ $2k CAD open box from our local dealer we use for this sort of thing. I'm not an expert on TV/s etc, not even an amateur, but this unit was a big step up from our 1080p which was similar to the one you have now, but only 3000 lumens IIRC.

Considered a dual or tri projector dome setup yet and a SimPit Avenger or other curved setup yet?

• What happened on the Cougar HOTAS when Thrustmaster moved production to China, was they stopped greasing the gimbals. I went through a couple sets playing AH. The hard metal stick base ate the roll axis gimbal. You had to take it apart, install new gimbals, bag the electronics, and grease it thoroughly.

That led to a big rise in popularity in aftermarket Cougar gimbals for the Falcon 4 crowd. Glad to see that market is even bigger now.

That's similar to what's happening with the Warthog sticks. Replacing the gimbal O-ring with a good aftermarket ring, as well as re greasing the gimbal properly, usually will fix the "sticktion" issue for quite a long time. It's just a pita to have to break down a $400 USD Hotas within less than a year for many players. The new gimbal designs from VKB/Virpil don't require this type of fixing, and are far less complicated to disassemble in the first place. I have way more hours on my VKB/Virpil sticks than I ever put on a Warthog before it started getting very noticeable sticktion issues.

If TM was smart they would design a new modular stick system (like the WH was originally planned to be, hence the removable stick and plug design of the Warthog...only took them 9 years to come out with the F18 stick, NBD), with a modern gimbal system similar to what VKB/Virpil have done. With their brand name and market share, they would capture a lot of business IMO. That said, they are a French company now, and based on speaking with their QA people, I don't expect much out of them.

• I feel like I could print my own stick for the Cougar base. It's just a barrel connector in the center. I think a better modern way to do it would be give each stick its own usb controller and use a similar pass-through connection at the base, put the gimbals and any other switches/buttons/whatevers on its own usb controller with a small powered usb hub integrated for a single pedal/throttle/avoinics stack connection point. iirc, the HOTAS throttle was just a 9 pin connection back to the stick.