Good controllers?

• Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog. Highest end on the market. Cons: hard to set up. Pros: Does anything you want.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/hotas-warthog

‘If you’re not a liberal when you’re 25, you have no heart. If you’re not a conservative by the time you’re 35, you have no brain.’

No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot - Mark Twain

TWAT on 10/14/2019 :

Lemme say that again... I don't care. If. The accusations against Trump. Are factual. Or not.

• I don't have a Warthog but have other Thrustmaster sticks including the Cougar. Top quality with the price to go with it. I currently use a Saitek X-55. Not top quality but good enough. The Warthog is not a twisty stick so you need pedals with it.

• Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog. Highest end on the market. Cons: hard to set up. Pros: Does anything you want.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/hotas-warthog

These days the Warthog is a mid range controller. There's a lot of great stuff coming out of Eastern Europe that has better value than the Warthog.

Check out Virpil: https://virpil-controls.eu/

Or VKB Joysticks: https://vkbcontrollers.com/

Saitek QC has really taken a nose dive recently. I've still got my "new" X-52. It started to get signal output spikes within a year. And it'll be a cold day in hell before I get used to a twisty stick.

This is a classic one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H…ge0f-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1 Only $80. A lot of people only use this, use it for 2-3 years til it breaks, and then buy another one.

• has anyone figured out how to reliably use a hat switch with DCS?

For views? I use either Oculus or IR Tracker for views but the hat switches for all sorts of other things.

• Only thing I ever got the hat switch to do was raise and lower the cargo line on the Huey.

‘If you’re not a liberal when you’re 25, you have no heart. If you’re not a conservative by the time you’re 35, you have no brain.’

No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot - Mark Twain

TWAT on 10/14/2019 :

Lemme say that again... I don't care. If. The accusations against Trump. Are factual. Or not.

• I used to use the TM Cougar hats for views in AH. I had one configured so that when I pushed forward (up) on it that it went to straight up view. When I released back to center the view then went to 45 degree up view. I pushed forward again and released to return to front view. The TM software allows for all sorts press and releases independent from one another.

• I put Hall Effect sensors in my Cougar and it's still very smooth almost 20 years later and a ton of use. I dig it out every now and then but don't use it regularly because I don't like setting up my ch pedals.

• I still have my TM F-16 stick that predated the Cougar. I put some digital mod in it long ago too but don't remember what it did. Maybe made it compatible with USB.

• They are all up in the attic now. I might have to dig them out and see if I made the F-16 FLCS USB compatible. It was a good stick and throttle. If I didn't convert to USB that might be a good project.

• It comes down to budget.

So far as the Warthog goes, it's a bit of a crapshoot when it comes to longevity-quality, with a couple issues in particular. The "sticktion"in particular and other gimbal related issues have struck 3 of my 4 WH sticks. The 3 throttles I have all have been fine though, and I modded one with the improved mini stick mod from the DCS forums that everyone swears by, I forget the name off the top of my head.

I have both the older and newer VKB Gunfighter, the new MkII/Rev B is probably the best out of the box single stick made. That said they are sold out and their new MK3 will be out in a month or two. $400 USD is what you can expect to pay for one.

Virpil offers some cheaper options. IMO the best setup right now for jet sims for the $ is to get a Warbrd base for 190 and a Warthog stick only either used or get the F18 TM stick (the original WH stick is better IMO). Then you have an all metal unit, and the stock springs/cams in the Warbrd with the TM stick are perfect, like a slightly more solid feeling CH Fighterstick.

Like Iron, I modded one of my Cougar sets I found for $60 with the stuff for sale on DCS that most are buying, new sensors and some new internal parts for the throttle. I'll take some pics later and post them, all in I think I have under $200 into that unit, and it's incredibly good, use it for the new F16 module in DCS and the throttle is excellent now. I actually prefer the Cougar stick to the WH as the pinky switch is in a better spot.

Throttle, I have 2 of the Virpil throttles and they are excellent, but again, they cost a lot. I'll pick up their 3rd one after xmas sometime and try it out, but IMO their 2nd model with the analogue mini stick is better than their new smaller unit that is coming out.

Best advice I can give for a lower end budget is to cruise the used sections of your buy/sell stuff you have in the USA. Up here Kijiji.ca I check daily, and every couple weeks find a good used WH, Cougar, CH, and even Saitek for very cheap. I picked up a brand new CH Fighterstick/throttle combo for just around $40 CAD incl shipping a while back. Cougars for 50$, and WH for under $200. They only new stuff I've bought in the last couple years in fact have been Virpil/VKB, and even then, I got a first gen Gunfighter off of Ebay for under $200 CAD, and just bought a stick for it. So check those resources out, you might be surprised what you find.

Pedal wise, there are a pile of options too. I have some Saitek Combats and CH pedals on my hotas display I'm building, and don't use them anymore as the custom pedals are all so good. VKB pedals are great, very accurate due to the plane of motion being in your ankle not your leg/knee, but some don't like that or the lack of toe brakes (hardware brakes at least). MFG Xwind are really great too, Slaws being my favorite, I have 2 of the Slaw pedals, one is the 109Cam, the other is his new RX. NOT cheap, the new RX cost my nearly $1000 CAD after duty/shipping. $650 USD I think it was after everything for them, but it was worth it, the unit is like a literal tank, and very accurate. VKB are all metal too, and cost less than a 1/3 new, and can be found used here and there as well, I think there is a set on the DCS forums for sale.

• I just ordered a Valve Index to give VR a first time go. It seems VR has come far enough to be good enough now but I guess I will know for sure soon enough.

As far as HOTAS, I'm figuring I want enough controls that VR works. I'm not super budget conscious so quality seems to be the way to go.

I was looking at the warbird base vs the t50 and from what I can tell, the only reason to run the t50 is if I was building a cockpit with a center stick with extensions. I'm not sure if there is another functional difference.

I'm in the market for a throttle if you want to part with one or any other gear that I may be looking for. If not, is DCS forums the best place to look? EBay looks pretty thin as does Craigslist.

I figure I'll deal with pedals once I get clearer on the other gear. Virpil does have a couple twisty sticks which are good for Star Citizen or possibly sub for pedals. I'm thinking of running the config in our family room where I can do VR or set it up on the Cinema Tech Seats by 3d printing mounts to go in the cup holders. The gear can then be stored in the built in storage of the seats. The added bonus is the 150 inch screen as a non VR option and the 11.1 sound system. So, that makes pedals a bit cumbersome if I end up sticking with that solution.

• The Index is a good VR unit - best quality of any I've had, which is all of them, currently using the Reverb, Rift S and an Index, and sold off all the older ones. Reverb has the best resolution but is finicky as hell. You'll like the Index.

You can use the Warbrd in a deskmount if you want, but you're right, the T50 don't work on a desktop as they are way, way too high. I have some more pics I'll find of my other Warbrd set up as a desktop stick with various sticks installed (WH, Cougar, T50CM2 stick, and the Virpil Space stick, I forget what they call it). The Space stick is ambi, which is great if you decide to go "2 stick HOSAS+throttle" for Star Citizen. These pics are from our Star Citizen setup, using the Alienware 34" (no VR with Star Citizen) and a left hand Space Stick/Warbrd and right hand T50 +Throttle setup. The left/space stick has an analogue mini stick that works well too.

I've thought about setting up a Star Citizen standing desk with our 120" projector room too, might give that a whirl myself now that I finally got around to replacing the projector with a decent 4k unit.

• VR does not work with Star Citizen?

What are you running for a 4k projector?

I'm running a 3500 lumen 1080p projector now because when I bought it, 4k was still stupid expensive and limited options. I'm thinking of upgrading the projector now as it should be pretty noticeable on a large screen. Was it really worth it in your view or kinda a marginal improvement? The one point where I'm kinda stuck is that our family room has lots of windows so I need a powerful projector to maximize marginal viewing times. It looks good on overcast days as is so I don't want to knock down the lumens any more.