Brexit....never?

• Now a post election agreement between the two parties seems unlikely , it opens the door for a lib d/labour/SNP coalition to take power.

LOL - you must have been joking! Did you really think Labour was going anywhere? They suffered their worst defeat since 1935.

Exitpolls suggest Tory landslide, actual results thus far are pretty muchneck and neck but its early days yet.

Boris got his landslide. And I am willing to bet $100 to any takers that the Tories will win the next election by a similar margin.

So will Brexit actually happen? Believe it when I see it.

Yes it will. You will see it on Jan 31.

The Labour Party has dominated British politics since Churchill left office.

No it hasn't. Churchill became PM for the second time in 1951, and the Tories were then in power until Wilson won for Labour in 1964-1970. We then had 3½ years of Tory rule under Edward Heath. You know - the guy who Holden claims the Beatles sang about in a song called Taxman, in which Heath's name was mentioned! :laughing

Then came 5¼ years more hard Labour, until the govt fell apart and was replaced by Thatcher - 18 years of Tory rule, then 13 years of Labour again until 2010. So as you can see, Labour has only been in power for about 24 years out of the last 68. Tony Blair has been the only Labour leader to win an election since Harold Wilson in 1974. The other EIGHT Labour leaders in that period lost elections, or never stood in one.

As to whether I saw this result coming - yes, I always believed Boris would win with a majority, but I didn't think he'd win by 80 seats. What a result! Of course, I am cockahoop as I voted for Brexit myself, and supported the Tories at this election. Politically, Jeros and I are polar opposites.

"Spain is made up of 17 autonomous communities, the Canaries being one, so says the Spanish constitution"

- Holden, who had failed to notice that the Spanish Constitution refers to the sovereign state, that being the KINGDOM of Spain. Just one of many examples of its name being abbreviated to "Spain" - incorrectly, in Holden's case.

• Fuck off beetle.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• Well it's about fucking time beet1e made it back. Now we get to hear a different side of this British debacle.

MNN on 6/18/19

"chump will assuredly lose 2020 barring an event that cancels the election - he just cant keep his scummy yankee mouth shut"

MNN on 6/24/19

Chump is going to tote an ass kicking nov 2020

MNN on 11/14/19

fact is it is within a year of the election, the Senate will not allow him to appoint her successor. Nov 2020 he will lose.

• So as you can see, Labour has only been in power for about 24 years out of the last 68.

Yeah Yeah. But doesn't it FEEL a lot longer? Welcome back you old Fud. Hang around for a while.

And Ruth said, "Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God. Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried; the Lord do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me."

• Will anyone notice when none of the gloom and doom comes to fruition?

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

• Remember when they promised if Trump were elected that the economy would crash into the deepest depression in history?