Trump impeachment ‘almost inevitable’ as key Congress members decide president must be removed

• https://www.independent.co.uk/…aine-senate-a9117726.html

News > World > Americas > US politics

Close

Trump impeachment ‘almost inevitable’ as key Congress members decide president must be removed

Seven lawmakers say Donald Trump’s ‘actions represent an impeachable offence’ after Ukraine scandal

A majority of Democrats in the House of Representatives now support impeaching Donald Trump as Washington reels from allegations that the president improperly pressured Ukraine’s leader to investigate Joe Biden‘s son.

Nancy Pelosi, the speaker of the house, has contacted key allies to gauge whether the party should launch impeachment proceedings.

The senior Democrat has long resisted pressure to impeach the president but is believed to be reconsidering her position in the wake of the Ukraine scandal, according to The Washington Post.

The California representative has called her closest allies and senior legislators to help judge whether there is enough momentum to successfully impeach the president.

At least 143 of the 235 House Democrats believe the president should face impeachment proceedings, according to The New York Times.

Everyone Trump has fired or forced out

Show all 13

John BoltonAnthony ScaramucciJeff SessionsRex Tillerson

Mr Trump’s latest troubles began after an intelligence official filed a formal whistleblower complaint on 12 August, alleging the president’s conversations with a foreign leader were a matter of “urgent concern”.

The White House has refused to pass the complaint on to Congress, despite the fact that disclosure is required by the Intelligence Community Whistleblower Protection Act 1998.

Ms Pelosi has given Joseph Maguire, the acting director of national intelligence, until Thursday to hand over the complaint.

On Monday night seven House Democrats announced their support for impeaching the president, in an opinion piece for The Washington Post.

“We believe these actions represent an impeachable offence,” said the group, made up of politicians with past careers in the US military, defence and intelligence industries.

Independent news email

Only the best news in your inbox

Continue

Register with your social account or click here to log in

I would like to receive morning headlinesMonday - Friday plus breaking news alerts by email

“We have devoted our lives to the service and security of our country, and throughout our careers, we have sworn oaths to defend the constitution of the United States many times over.”

“He allegedly sought to use the very security assistance dollars appropriated by Congress to create stability in the world, to help root out corruption and to protect our national security interests, for his own personal gain,” the group wrote.

“These allegations are stunning, both in the national security threat they pose and the potential corruption they represent.”

Democratic leadership aides told The Washington Post they believed an impeachment process was almost inevitable.

Individual representatives, such as Brad Sherman, have previously filed impeachment articles but these failed at the voting stage.

If Nancy Pelosi and the Democratic leadership choose to support the process, the president would likely face hearings.

Media reports in the US suggest the whistleblower complaint concerns a phone call between Donald Trump and Volodymyr Zelensky, the president of Ukraine.

The reports suggest the president pressured Kiev to launch an investigation into Hunter Biden, the son of Joe Biden, a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate and a former vice president.

Mr Trump is alleged to have asked Mr Zelensky eight separate times to launch a probe.

Hunter Biden previously sat on the board of Burisma, a Ukranian gas company.

The Trump administration put a hold on nearly $400m (£322m) US military aid to Ukraine a week before the call, according to CNN.

Mr Trump has denied he offered military aid to Kiev only if the country launched a probe into Hunter Biden.

“Imagine if the Mueller report had included evidence of a phone call between Trump and Putin in which Trump asked Putin 8 times for his help in the 2016 election,” said Robert Reich, a former Clinton administration official.

Support free-thinking journalism and attend Independent events

“That would have been the smoking gun.”

If at least one article of impeachment is tabled in the House of Representatives and wins a majority of members’ votes, the president is technically impeached.

The issue then moves to the senate which conducts a trial, presided over by the Supreme Court’s chief justice.

If two-thirds of senators find the president guilty, he is removed and the vice president becomes president.

This outcome remains unlikely, as the Republican Party controls the senate.

No president has ever been successfully removed from office through the impeachment process.

• That's it. You've convinced me that Trump needs to go.

I apologize for my life, any support I have given Trump, and helping to ruin the world with my koch habit

Thankfully, Nancy and the other champions of the people have been patient and thorough in these very dark times.

• I'll go with;

Wish in one hand and shit in the other, see which get full quicker.

Down

Your

Throat

!!!

MNN on 6/18/19

"chump will assuredly lose 2020 barring an event that cancels the election - he just cant keep his scummy yankee mouth shut"

MNN on 6/24/19

Chump is going to tote an ass kicking nov 2020

MNN on 11/14/19

fact is it is within a year of the election, the Senate will not allow him to appoint her successor. Nov 2020 he will lose.

• Of course you Koch Lickers are happy with any and all corruption so long as it results in more money and more power for your billionaire gods.

Says the Soros sucker...

Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

I disagree but I respect your right to be stupid.

Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

This outcome remains unlikely, as the Republican Party controls the senate.

No president has ever been successfully removed from office through the impeachment process.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• Pelosi knows that impeachment is a loser for her party... she is doing everything she can to make sure that they don't blow the election but you can tell she is worn out..

High crimes and misdomeners Or.... if we think he is mean and won't leave.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• They would have an easier time impeaching him if they could perhaps find some sort of crime he'd committed

If politicians only got paid according to their district's economic success, there would be no more Democrats.

• They'll have to take the Senate first. Otherwise all they'll get for their efforts is "pffffttt".

They may like Pence even less than Trump.

• Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

• This place isn't even right vs. left, it's literally Republican Talking Points vs. Democrat Talking Points. 98% Republican with a few foils who literally cut and paste the whole page, links, adverts and all. Then you guys scan the news each day for something that might be embarrassing to the other.

You realize this is why you'll never be censored. You're harmless and useful.

• Horseshit.

Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

• The Embassies are part of the State Department, the State Department is one of the most corrupt of the 400+ US government departments.

It is full of career bureaucrats who have messed-up every war the US has been in. They are the ones that came up with "winning hearts and minds", "nation building", "no shoot rules of engagement", no win "wars" that last for decades.

• I'd just like to once again point out the contrast between the headline and the last sentence of the article...

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• Well fishbaum.. how do we find the correct sites that only your people know about?

the most disgusting things I hear are.. 'both sides are the same' or... "it is not about left or right it is about the fucking jews damn it!!!"

this site allows everyone ... even self hating jews.. to voice their opinion.. and so far? from you? all we get is opinion based on hate and a few VERY dark corners of the worst of the internet.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• "based on hate" is another good trope I'd like to see the end of. Like someone's just standing there "I need something to hate and someone to scapegoat! Grrrr!" That's leftist language, and again you are using it. 'Based on hate' implies no truth in an argument. If someone punches you and you punch back is that hate? Don't punch me back, you're punching me in hate!! LOL

You guys are like two old men on a porch out in the country trotting out the same old bullshit every day. Some car passing by can't tell the difference between you, rightly so. You don't need a site to instruct you, just use your head.

• But they need some grey matter in that head.

Trump: “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” 3:01PM Nov. 8 2013

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" ~ Abe Lincoln