AR Thread

• I thought we had one already, couldn’t find it.

For you guys that like to sling the 5.56 stuff down range a lot, Christmas is just around the corner.

https://www.butlercreek.com/pr…lectronic-magazine-loader

If you have the Echo Trigger system you’d want something like this.

Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

I disagree but I respect your right to be stupid.

Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

• yeah.. you would really have to shoot a lot in one sitting to go for that but it is almost free compared to the ammo you would be burning.

I have to ask.. how many round do most of you shoot in an outing? I go shooting maybe 4 times a month? shoot maybe 250 rounds of various calibers. I rarely fire rapidly.. meaning.. sound like a machine gun.. So that many rounds lasts? 3 hours? reloading lever guns and revolvers and saving the brass.. we may shoot 100 or so .223 rounds and about the same for other calibers from .270 to 44 mag. 9mm and 45 acp handguns.. lever guns.. . Garands and Remington model 81's

Sooooo.. at one time California had a law that made AR's and others have a 'fixed' mag.. there were various workarounds and not it is pretty much moot.. but a buddy bought this AR speedloader for 10 round fixed mag AR's.. really cool to fuck with... Like a stripper clip.. it fits in the chamber of an AR and holds ten rounds.. a simple movement slides all ten rounds in the 'fixed' mag.. it would also work for normal mags of course like topping off your 30 rounder.

Disclaimer.. I generally shoot my AR with 10 round mags.. they are very.... handy? They do not interfere with the shooting bench.. they are more rounds than most people fire at one time. They generally feed really well.

If 4 guys are shooting.. with revolvers and 1911's and compact semi autos? who wants to wait for the 30 round guy to get done?

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• Depends on what I’m doing. If it’s fun time then 6 full mags. If it’s serious time then 3 10rd mags. I always bring more ammo than I need but it’s boxed up.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

• The AR thread got moved to the main forum and buried during one of gina's hissy fits.

When I go out with the ARs, I usually shoot 100 to 200 rounds. I rarely rapid fire, either. When I take handguns, I'll go through around 50-100 per caliber, simply because the minor OCD won't let me leave an open box with rounds in it. It's a curse I can live with.

• So that’s what happened to it.

• Maybe one day I’ll start a shotgun thread.

• Iron... last time we went a guy had a 50 round drum.

Miniature one... that sounds about right for me too. rifles that are big bore I fire anywhere from 15-50 rounds except the Garand it gets like 10 clips

I handload so I too kinda hate to have half full boxes but I live with it.... I will take the half full ones and leave em out in the reloading room. So they are the first to get filled when I load that caliber again. I don't like seeing all the boxes of loads and thinking I have 500 rounds when half the boxes have rounds gone from em.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• the best magazines i ever used were manufactured by stirling. they are 20 round steel and curved which is not the norm for 20 round magazines. they fit the ar15 and 18 which was handy since i had both rifles. had a bunch of 30 and 40 round mags, never used them much. also had 5 round mags for the 15 in the days i was trying to stay legal.they sucked.

• Yeah the original AR thread is prolly buried i the general forum somewhere.

Let me rehash my point of view on the subject: I've never liked gas operation in rifles. Turning a gun into a two-stroke motor is overly complicated.

The AR-platform has become the Barbie doll of rifles. Make me a roller-delayed blowback AR upper... Next step in gun development: Energy weapons.

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see.” -- Ayn Rand

• Ok.

• There will have to be a quantum leap in power technology for energy/beam weapons to become a thing. Look at how much power it takes to melt a small drone at pretty close range with a laser right now, and it takes about 3 seconds, even longer, for the beam to have enough of an effect to damage/destroy the target. That's with the electric power generating power of something that needs a large vehicle or shop to transport around.

But if, if someday we say figure out fusion, or something else, and can put man portable energy weapons into use, then it'll be pretty incredible. Beam weapon = no ballistics to worry about, just weather really (that's a big issue), plus the whole Geneva Convention thing on laser/beam weapons and blinding/etc. Plus the whole "target and beyond" rule will be an issue, as there will be lots of beam weapon blow through of targets, which then anything else in their path until they are switched off or lose power will be at risk.

• For sure... And by that time I doubt the "infantry" will have squishy bits like us humans inside their armored shells... If we have the tech to make man portable energy weapons, we'll also have the tech to make machines carry them into battle.

Still... AR platform with a roller-delayed blowback upper... Perfection. IMHO.

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see.” -- Ayn Rand

• Ya, a 6.5 caliber rifle with some of the new cartridge tech in a roller delayed system with an AR platform's ergos/setup would be a fantastic rifle right now. Those new US Army trial 6.5 rounds will defeat Chinese and Russian body armor out to crazy ranges, way past 500m right now (I've read 900m in a few places), plus without the DI gas system, or even a short/long stroke piston system to fail you - good times would be had by all.

Until then, I still think the best factory out of the box military rifle in 556 is the SigPE90/Sig 550. Long stroke piston, which is the best choice out of a bunch of mediocre choices IMO, incredible accuracy across the board with every produced rifle (1 MOA or better out to 300m with a 10 rnd test target with each rifle), good ergos, etc.