Leprosy on the Rise in Los Angeles County

• hmmm... so do we now have something else to think the democrats for?

California is not just a public toilet but now there is evidence that leprosy is on the rise in Los Angeles County.

Barack Obama changed US law in 2016 and allowed immigrants with blistering STDs and leprosy to migrate to the US.

Medscape reported:

Leprosy, also known as Hansen’s disease, is rarely seen in the United States, but cases continue to emerge in Los Angeles County, a new report says.

“Hansen’s disease still exists, and we need to educate medical students and physicians,” coauthor Dr. Maria Teresa Ochoa from Keck Medical Center of the University of Southern California, Los Angeles, told Reuters Health by email.

Dr. Ochoa and colleagues identified 187 patients with the disease in a review of medical records from their leprosy clinic spanning 1973 to 2018. Most patients were Latino, originating from Mexico, and they experienced a median delay in diagnosis of more than three years, the team reports JAMA Dermatology, online August 7.

Multibacillary leprosy (MB) cases outnumbered paucibacillary leprosy (PB) cases by nearly eight to one (88.6% vs. 11.4%, respectively), and Latino patients were more likely than non-Latino patients to have MB, as were patients from Central or South America (versus other regions).

Most patients (80.7%) received multidrug therapy, and most (92.6%) received antibiotics for more than two years, especially if they had MB.

Only about half of patients (56.7%) had World Health Organization (WHO) grade 0 disability (no signs or symptoms suggestive of leprosy or disability) at the one-year follow-up, whereas 16.0% had grade 1 disability (loss of protective sensation) and 26.2% had grade 2 disability (visible deformity) at the last follow-up.

Among the patients who lost protective sensation, 87.7% (50/57) did not regain it following therapy.

more on site....

https://americantruthtoday.com…se-in-los-angeles-county/

Dietrich Bonhoeffer: “Silence in the face of evil is itself evil. God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”

Presbyterian Rev. Gilbert Tennant:

“He that suffers his life to be taken from him by one who has no authority for that purpose, when he might preserve it by defense, incurs the Guilt of self murder since God has enjoined him to seek the continuance of his life, and Nature itself teaches every creature to defend itself.”

• I love my cold climate and the lack of diversity and communicable diseases that it brings.

MNN on 6/18/19

"chump will assuredly lose 2020 barring an event that cancels the election - he just cant keep his scummy yankee mouth shut"

MNN on 6/24/19

Chump is going to tote an ass kicking nov 2020

MNN on 11/14/19

fact is it is within a year of the election, the Senate will not allow him to appoint her successor. Nov 2020 he will lose.

• Bullshit. It's not "on the rise'. It's never gone away, but the numbers are way down. It's super rare.... even the OP article verifies that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leprosy

People with leprosy can live with their families and go to school and work.[12] At the end of 2016, there were 173,000 leprosy cases globally, down from 5.2 million in the 1980s.[4][13][14] The number of new cases in 2016 was 216,000.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/21…sy-cases-study/index.html

(CNN)Leprosy is a disease most people think ended in the Middle Ages, but a new study shows that it's not a thing of the past.

Mayo Clinic researchers wanted to understand how common it was in their clinic after a patient was diagnosed with the disease in March 2017. In the clinic's electronic health records, they found nine patients diagnosed with leprosy over a 23-year period.

Globally, over 200,000 cases of leprosy are diagnosed every year, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In the United States, there are just 150 to 250 cases diagnosed annually.

• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leprosy

People with leprosy can live with their families and go to school and work.[12] At the end of 2016, there were 173,000 leprosy cases globally, down from 5.2 million in the 1980s.[4][13][14] The number of new cases in 2016 was 216,000.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/21…sy-cases-study/index.html

(CNN)Leprosy is a disease most people think ended in the Middle Ages, but a new study shows that it's not a thing of the past.

Mayo Clinic researchers wanted to understand how common it was in their clinic after a patient was diagnosed with the disease in March 2017. In the clinic's electronic health records, they found nine patients diagnosed with leprosy over a 23-year period.

Globally, over 200,000 cases of leprosy are diagnosed every year, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In the United States, there are just 150 to 250 cases diagnosed annually.

• https://www.cbsnews.com/news/s…d-diagnosed-with-leprosy/

I want to see the stats that single out Los Angeles. I want to see the numbers. Typical wrag-style article with no facts to back up the title.

“It is incredibly difficult to contract leprosy,” said Dr. Cameron Kaiser, Riverside County’s public health officer. “The school was safe before this case arose and it still is.”

The U.S. sees only about 150 leprosy cases occur each year, and over 95 percent of the population is naturally immune to it.

• From Wrag's articlel

Even if all that whopping 187 cases in 45 years were in Los Angeles (it doesn't actually give any facts) , that's 4.5 per year.

Leprosy is extremely rare and hard to get. To say it's on the rise in LA is total fucking bullshit.

I can't stand it when people post shit that sounds sensational or alarming without taking even two seconds to look it up. I guess some people have no problem being known as uniformed parrots and fools.

Dr. Ochoa and colleagues identified 187 patients with the disease in a review of medical records from their leprosy clinic spanning 1973 to 2018.

• I understand the whole insignificant numbers thing gina and have no idea what the actual number of cases are or what they changed from.... pretty sure it was like zero at some point in the past tho.

I was just pointing out that the article so far as I could tell..... was not saying it was on the rise world wide just in the county of L.A. in any case... that would be the least of my worries in those homeless areas..

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• I understand the whole insignificant numbers thing gina and have no idea what the actual number of cases are or what they changed from.... pretty sure it was like zero at some point in the past tho.

I was just pointing out that the article so far as I could tell..... was not saying it was on the rise world wide just in the county of L.A. in any case... that would be the least of my worries in those homeless areas..

lazs

It was never zero. Takes two seconds to lookup.

I'm gong by facts. The article doesn't list jack shit to back up that numbers are on the rise in Los Angeles county or anywhere else. People like wrag just look at the title and parrot the bullshit.

• I can't stand it when people post shit that sounds sensational or alarming without taking even two seconds to look it up. I guess some people have no problem being known as uniformed parrots and fools.

That be a LOL from the drama queen.

Trump: “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” 3:01PM Nov. 8 2013

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" ~ Abe Lincoln

• This article says that Cali tops the list in lepers but nowhere can I find even estimated numbers by state.

http://diseases.emedtv.com/lep…-american-statistics.html

Image result for leper meme

MNN on 6/18/19

"chump will assuredly lose 2020 barring an event that cancels the election - he just cant keep his scummy yankee mouth shut"

MNN on 6/24/19

Chump is going to tote an ass kicking nov 2020

MNN on 11/14/19

fact is it is within a year of the election, the Senate will not allow him to appoint her successor. Nov 2020 he will lose.

• It doesn't actually say that California tops the list, but it probably does. So I wonder if it's "on the rise" in other counties too? Like maybe in Texas there might be some place that got one more case than the last year and increased the count by 90 percent.

There are 200 to 250 new leprosy cases reported each year, with about 175 of these being new cases diagnosed for the first time. The largest numbers of cases in the United States are in:

• California
    • Texas
    • Hawaii
    • Louisiana
    • Florida
    • New York
    • Puerto Rico.
  • Like I said... when a number is close to zero percent or even one percent then a few cases more or less don't really make it significant rise or fall... If they have even one more case than last year tho it can accurately be said the the number has risen.

But yeah... it is an article meant to blur the real situation... which is bad enough.... I would be far more afraid to step on a used needle..

Or get speared with a plastic straw... those injuries are on the rise.

lazs

• Emergency rooms are full of people who have been speared by the dangerous world ending plastic straws. There is also a huge uptick in people who fall after sliding on a pile of human waste... its... how you say... on the rise.

lazs