.357 vs .357 sig...

• As you know the .357 sig was meant to compete with...........the all time champ knock em down unless it is a 44 mag round

Basically.. the 125 grain HP in a .357 revolver just will not go away as the king The sig? a great bottleneck and EXPENSIVE round in semi auto.. basically a 40 smith and wesson necked down to .357 feeds good.. works good.

Soo.. 6 or 8 rounds out of a revolver compared to? 12 or so?

Ok.. the revolver.. any shape bullet is fine.. ................it has the rep which is deserved..........It can shoot cheap 38 spl ammo to practice.

The sig? Auto loader.. which.. the 357 round (made in 1935) can't do unless u consider the Coonan which.. does offer a semi auto .357 mag.. being a bottle neck case? it feeds well.

cons.. the .357 is slower to shoot in revolvers with less capacity.. couple of rounds.

The sig? cons? it is expensive and hard to reload.. 4 steps are needed. Also.. the guns are EXPENSIVE along with the ammo.. the revolvers for .357 mag are everywhere and can be had for.. $300 to $800 bucks?

Ok... which is more accurate? Not many will say that a good .357 mag revolver will not outshoot and semi auto in the right hands.

Soooo you puts your money down and you takes your chances.. I like both calibers.

lazshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGEtErM1Sb4

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• Yup,I've fired a 357 and a 38 inside a house....deaf it is,well the ringing makes it seem that way.I recovered in about 2 days but the ringing lasted for weeks.

• Yup,I've fired a 357 and a 38 inside a house....deaf it is,well the ringing makes it seem that way.I recovered in about 2 days but the ringing lasted for weeks.

I was riding around state land a couple years ago and a coyote ran in front of me.

He stopped about 25 yards from the truck and looked at me. I pulled the 1911 and took aim and then thought fuck this. I would have been shooting across the inside of the cab thru the passenger window. Pretty sure me and the coyote are happy I didn't pull the trigger. My tinnitus is bad enough.

MNN on 6/18/19

"chump will assuredly lose 2020 barring an event that cancels the election - he just cant keep his scummy yankee mouth shut"

MNN on 6/24/19

Chump is going to tote an ass kicking nov 2020

MNN on 11/14/19

fact is it is within a year of the election, the Senate will not allow him to appoint her successor. Nov 2020 he will lose.

• I was riding around state land a couple years ago and a coyote ran in front of me.

He stopped about 25 yards from the truck and looked at me. I pulled the 1911 and took aim and then thought fuck this. I would have been shooting across the inside of the cab thru the passenger window. Pretty sure me and the coyote are happy I didn't pull the trigger. My tinnitus is bad enough.

All I've heard out of my right ear for the last year is ringing and a constant whooshing sound of my carotid artery every time my heart beats....shit wakes me up at night. They will endeavor to fix it next
    Thursday, think think the scapes bone is fucked up

If politicians only got paid according to their district's economic success, there would be no more Democrats.

• The ringing in my ears is low but constant... has been for decades. I would not be able to go to sleep without it.. I can hear surprisingly well tho. whispers... that sort of thing. just certain ranges of sound.... nothing. Had one of those stud finder things that beeps when you are over a stud? I was pissed cause it did not work. I was cussing and my daughter said... dad.. you can't hear that? fuck no I couldn't.. it was the exact same pitch as my ringing.

Sooo... I keep a set of sesnsegards right on the nightstand. I also have a pair in the cars. an extra pair of two in my shooting case... They take like 2 sec to put on and weigh a couple ounces at most. easiest and best I have found.

They do allow you to hear while they are on but I will drop em down on my neck when there is no shooting for a while... even tho they are very comfortable I just don't like anything in my ears without a reason...

Sooo... I forget from time to time... shit... first shot from a big bore handgun I remember.

Shooting from inside a car.... well... Like I said I have a set in the cars but so long as the muzzle is out the window I would take one shot at least... no big deal

lazs

• I quit using mine because they made my ears itch. I can't stand chit in my ears. I can't use ear buds either.

‘If you’re not a liberal when you’re 25, you have no heart. If you’re not a conservative by the time you’re 35, you have no brain.’

No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot - Mark Twain

TWAT on 10/14/2019 :

Lemme say that again... I don't care. If. The accusations against Trump. Are factual. Or not.

• With the bullet tech that's out now, 9mm rounds like Gscholz said are very close to .357 Sig performance now anyway. That wasn't the case when 357Sig first came out though however, and IMO for the first 5 years or so it was out, it was probably the best semi auto cartridge to run in terms of capacity/firepower/etc ratios.

The Air Marshalls ran our 229 in 357Sig right out of the gate, and the first 5 shootings they had were all fatalities. That says a lot in and of itself IMO. 5/5 isn't a real common occurrence with any handgun caliber, and training/accuracy certainly played a part too, but only a part.

I will say that in my experience the bottle neck 357 rounds can be responsible for feeding/failures, especially if you get a lot of mud/water into your handgun - debris tends to collect more in that area than in 9mm rounds, and can cause issue with going up the feed ramp a bit more frequently. Not worth it IMO compared to 9mm rounds available now, and optimally you should be putting multiple high round strings into your threat(s), depending on their distance/numbers/cover/etc. More rounds = less importance on ft/lbs, expansion, and other lethality factors. The more rounds you can put into the vertical track surrounding the cone of vulnerability in the human body, the better with a handgun. IE 5 or 6 9mm++ rounds isn't going to make more than a 1 or 2 % difference compared to 5 or 6 10mm/357Sig/etc, as there is too much trauma spread across too much of an area for the CNS to handle, particularly is you hit near or on the spine.

357Sig wasn't a horrible idea for its time, but that time is over now. 357 Magum still will always hit harder, out of a 4 to 6" barrel, for sure, and although it's capacity limited compared to an auto, it's probably the best overall defense caliber for all round defense (ie bears and boars, as well as humans) pound for pound. A fair bit less recoil than a .44 Magnum, which is probably the only reason I'd say 357 over 44 overall, as the average shooter will have much better follow up shots with it than a 44 Mag just due to training and experience limitations.

Edit - that video in the above post from Gscholz makes a very valid point at the end. A LOT of 9mm pistols are NOT rated to run +p+ 9mm ammo. In fact nearly all aren't. RUAG made some of the first +p+ 9 ammo, and they called it "Glock Breaker" for a good reason. They didn't have a single G17 in testing go past 2000 rounds, and the G19s due to their smaller size blew up even faster. 92Fs I've seen fail, with the locking lugs typically shearing off, in about the same with some 75 gr +p++ I ran through a couple of our range units, well under 1000 rounds before a catostrophic failure. That's where there is still "some" advantage in the 357Sig, the metal framed Sig line of pistols are all rated to run that round, and I've seen range pistols run some pretty hot Win White box 357 Sig for 10s of thousands of rounds without failures. So it's something to absolutely consider when running 9mm ammo that will run with the "big dogs" like the various +p and +p+ and higher ammunition.

The new telescoping tech rounds coming to the new US military rifles will eventually filter down to handgun calibers as well, and IMO that'll be the next big jump in lethality, but it'll be years or decades before we get there I think.

• Ok... the 9mm +++++p not even close to a full house .357.. you need to watch the vid.. he is actually comparing.. for the most part... 158 grain bullets (which the sig does not offer) against 125 grain.

Yeah.. I get it. for stopping bad guys? the 125 grain .357 is king.. but things like super vel.. safely load 125 .357 mags at almost 1600 fps... revolvers? they shrug off way the hell overloaded ++++++++p .357 but as Gman says.. very few 9mm guns like even +p for a steady diet.

Lets go to the coonan.. a .357 mag 1911.. yep.. only 9 rounds but they are nasty.

Lets go backwards.. all the way back to a SAA that has it's roots in 1872... I have one in .357 mag.. with a 7.5" barrel.. no way you will find a 9mm in 7.5".. or... 6" Like my gods gift to revolvers Colt fucking Python.. or the plebeian.... SW 686 6" My old Colt 1800's clone .357 will run a 158 grain slug at 1500-1550 fps that a woman can shoot.

As Gman says.. we are due for new ammo tech but we have about gone the route on current normally loaded ammo.

lazs