Good movies anybody?

• I remember back when they were filming "Hunt for Red October" with Sean Connery/etc, Clancy was in the media washing his hands of it, saying "not a single thread in this film matches up with a thread in my book". Heh. Compared to Without Remorse from Amazon, Red October/film was a verbatim account of the book.

What a giant POS this thing was from Amazon. A couple of the names from the book is about the only similarities that can be drawn. Ya, and having a female being the OIC of a NSW special missions unit...ba ha, and hah. Ridiculous.

Considering the actors they had to work with, I was expecting something at least tolerable, as they obviously were never going to follow the story in the book very closely, as they never have when adapting Clancy's books (again with Red October being the closest, and it wasn't that close).

If I had another thumb it'd be 3 thumbs down. Horrible story/plot, from the first sequence to the last it just got progressively worse. I'd say watch it though for some laughs at how Hollywood can take something so great (Without Remorse was one of Clancy's finest books), and turn it into a dumpster (more like an entire dump) fire.

• Welp! I dropped Amazon a while back. This confirms my choice.

On the other hand, I just started watching Goliath on Amazon. It's about a washed up drunken lawyer who gets a whiff of a big case, so he tries to pull himself out of rock bottom to fight the lawfirm he created, but was kicked out of. And they do everything to fight back.

3 Episodes in and it's pretty good so far.

• The new "Without Remorse" is Hollywood gone batshit PC crazy.

Without Remorse was one of my favorite Clancy books because he didn't have his stupid simple fixes for politics in it. It was an ex-special forces approach to problem solving. It was great.

The movie... WTF?!?! The acting was decent, but on every other level it simply sucked. Wife and daughter killed by terrorists? FFS. They threw every cliché (FFS... can't auto-correct cliche?) in the book at that one.

The redhead they had playing Jack's special forces guy in the Jack Ryan series (Season 1 was awesome. Season 2 they put a gun in Jack's hand too often) was a much better fit. I can't believe they killed him off for this.

BTW... you want to watch another "Clancy" on Prime... watch "The Division: Agent Origins". Acting and production is worse but at least the final fight scene approaches reality.

Oh... and why is it that a sniper with a scope cannot hit a target at 100 feet? EVERY SINGLE MOVIE DOES THIS NOW!!!! The first shot is a miss? FFS. Just watched the movie "Marksman" last night. Same shit.

• "Fire Birds" -- Low rent Top Gun for rotorheads.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I too started "Loudermilk" a few months back, I stalled out a few eps into season 2, but I'm going to resume it shortly myself. Shades of "Office Space" from Ron Livingston for sure, but standing on its own I thought season 1 was great.

"Fire Birds" -- Low rent Top Gun for rotorheads.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Hah, I'd forgotten about that film, needs a rewatch for sure.

"I am the greatest!"

"I am the GREATEST!!"

"I AM THE GREATEST!!!!"

External Content www.youtube.com

• Watched "Atomic Submarine" 1959. It's as hokey as you can imagine. Still though the alien must have been a prototype for other sci-fi movies. It looked much like an Octopus. It only had 2 good scenes. The one where the guy was dodging a burning light, much like a spot light. That's when I remembered I had watched it as a kid. The other, the star's girlfriend. She was pretty.

• Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man... Mickey Rourke, Don Jonson, Tom Sizemore. One of the very few movies that actually manage to make biker assholes look cool.

• Vanilla Sky and if you tell me "the original was better" I'll know you're full of shit.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!