Good movies anybody?

• Dune was amazing. The cinematography, the sound design, acting was all spot on. Translated to the big screen it still managed to stay true to the book. My only gripe is that it is PG-13, which means little to no blood. Without blood, knife fights look like little more than stick fights. Also no Harkonnen heart plugs.

The ornithopter scenes made the movie for me.

• You can catch a few glimpses of the ornithopter scenes in this featurette. However, they don't convey the gravitas of watching one of these mechanical dragonflies unfold its big wings and fire up. Everything vibrates, whipping up the sand beneath it. It's beautiful.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Dune was amazing. The cinematography, the sound design, acting was all spot on. Translated to the big screen it still managed to stay true to the book. My only gripe is that it is PG-13, which means little to no blood. Without blood, knife fights look like little more than stick fights. Also no Harkonnen heart plugs.

The ornithopter scenes made the movie for me.

Same here, as I posted before, the ships, and in particular their propulsion systems, were fantastic -----

One small example -Just the way they built the various ships in this Dune film, their function, full size models, CGI, etc, is by far and away the best Sci Fi ships I've ever seen. Diverse and believable ships and propulsion, etc etc etc - that's about as spolier-y as I'll get.

Several different models of thopters too, the ones in the featurette, a similar sized model with a chin turret like an AH64 gun pod kinda/sorta, and the smaller 2 man unit - I may even be missing some. The other ships like the frigates/etc were interesting too, plus the gravity propulsion ship Idaho was flying on Caladan - so much potential has been created in the world building for the ships alone, for future films/tv shows, from this film. Yay.

I can't wait to hear what "the voice" sounds like in the theater/Imax, as the copy I've watched seemed to vastly improve on the other 2 previous Dune films/TV in this department.

Agreed on the PG13, but they had to give themselves the best chance at making $$$ in order to have the best chance at filming the 2nd part of what hopefully will be a 2 part film series for book 1.

Perhaps the upcoming TV series based on the Benne Ges will have more realistic gore.

• It shouldn't sound like anything aside from normal speech. That's what makes it hard to portray in a movie.

"The members of Congress know, from their colleagues in Congress, that, uh, you know, the, looks like a tornado, they don't call them that anymore, that hit the crops and wetlands in the middle of the country, in Iowa and Nevada. It's just across the board,"

• It shouldn't sound like anything aside from normal speech. That's what makes it hard to portray in a movie.

I think Gscholz will agree, this is pretty much what they accomplished with this 2021 film, albeit with some volume/reverb/etc tricks. I can't imagine it being done in a superior way than what was done in the film really....

• I suspect the voice will sound very different in an IMAX theatre than on your CAM version Gman... The power-bass that shakes you to the core can't really be picked up by the small mike on a camcorder, nor easily replicated by a lesser sound system.

Speaking of sound design... And oh! More ornithopter scenes!

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Cry Macho was good, another signature Eastwood film.

Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

I disagree but I respect your right to be stupid.

Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

• brief synopsis ?

Three lines that rhyme.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• Bless you.

Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

I disagree but I respect your right to be stupid.

Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

• Limerick form will be accepted.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• Whatever happened to Iambic Pentameter?

"The members of Congress know, from their colleagues in Congress, that, uh, you know, the, looks like a tornado, they don't call them that anymore, that hit the crops and wetlands in the middle of the country, in Iowa and Nevada. It's just across the board,"

• Agreed on the PG13, but they had to give themselves the best chance at making $$$ in order to have the best chance at filming the 2nd part of what hopefully will be a 2 part film series for book 1.

I don't think you need to worry about that. It's already grossed $77 million against a budget of $165 million, and it hasn't even opened in NA yet...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!