Good movies anybody?

• What? So shirtless beach volleyball and sweaty carrier interior closeups are gay now??

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• If you're afraid you might catch the gay... Guess what?

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• Just watched GitS again. Such a great flick. The Engrish dub could be better, but the rest is just amazingly well done.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Zack Snyder's Justice League. MUCH better than Joss Whedon's* justice league, but with 2 major caveats.

First is that they are presenting it in 4:3 definition. I.E "Square" screen, and not widescreen. Now, I can understand resisting the push to not do ultra-widescreen, but doing 4:3 just seemed fucking weird, especially since basically every screen in the modern world is now 16:9. It felt like a bank robber who got his list of demands filled, so he started requesting weird and odd shit. And they gave it to him.

Second is that there's a bit of fluff. Run time comes in at OVER 4 hours. There are a few, but surprisingly not many unnecessary scenes where you sit there for minutes saying to yourself, "Uh... So why are we watching this scene?" Couple this with the idea that the "movie" is split into 5 parts + Epilogue, and those parts aren't actually separate entities. I.E. They should have been loaded in as separate episodes, or chapters, like a TV Show would do.

But overall, it's a much better movie. Darker. More violent. Different narrative focuses. For example the new JL focused a LOT more on Cyborg and his strained relationship with his father that just wasn't there for the first.

*Even with Joss Whedon's downfall, and his just sitting there and taking it like a little bitch, his shows are still some of my favorites.

• Against my better judgement, I watched Midway (2019). I should have known... It jumped the shark in the opening scenes, the voluntary deadstick, no flaps, carrier landing while doing aces high yaw maneuvers to bleed speed was just ridiculous. It never got better.

I got beat up and stabbed at an Applebee's in Myrtle Beach one time and the food was still the worst thing that happened to me that night.

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

So I finally got around to actually watching Extraction. It was great. I now have a new favorite action movie, dethroning Rambo 4. Great action, car chases, an 11-minute long fake one-take fight, awesome camera work, gritty and very violent, the works. The fight scenes were amazing... The stunts, OMG... Yes, it clearly is directed by a stunt coordinator.

An antagonist with real motivation for once... Good acting all around as well, but it's not a character-driven film by any measure, or plot-driven for that matter, but there is enough to get invested in the characters without slowing the action down. The pacing is very fast.

It's this kind of film (Aussie ex-SAS merc. vs. Indian ex-SF merc):

External Content youtu.be

• I liked it, thought it was a good action flick. Another I enjoyed was “The Outpost”.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!