Good movies anybody?

• "Bad Times at the El Royale." Very entertaining in a Quentin Terrentino kinda way- except unlike QT the time line is right. Lots of twists, great back stories on the characters and it's complex.

"Mr. Right"- Good entertainment. A hitman who kills the people who try to hire him because- well, murder is wrong. Then he falls in love, and- it's entertaining. Very funny movie, a comedy and if people getting shot is funny but- sometimes it is.

It's rare for me to sit through a movie because of my ADHD but I managed it for both of these.

We might go see The Lion King at the drive in tonight- take the pickup, throw a futon in the back and an ice chest full of snacks and the grand kids. Back in so we can sit on the tailgate- actually the kids get the tailgate- but we'll bring para chairs for us, and an ice chest full of watermelon and soft drinks and it'll be 85 degrees, which is perfect. I might go to Big 5 and pick up a Frisbee and show the grandson how to throw one- he's 13, 6 ft, size 11 shoe and his dad is about 6'4.

Anyway check them out- they're good. The movies I mean.

• Vanilla Sky

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• I didn't like "Bad Times".

The two best story lines (FBI guy and Hotel Owners) were completely ignored in favor of a rather vanilla cult plot and a not too surprising butler twist. Long... drawn out... and eventually it landed flat on its face.

5/10

• I didn't like "Bad Times".

The two best story lines (FBI guy and Hotel Owners) were completely ignored in favor of a rather vanilla cult plot and a not too surprising butler twist. Long... drawn out... and eventually it landed flat on its face.

5/10

You must have fallen asleep halfway through it.

Have you seen Mr. Right?

• Bad Times was good. Will have to watch Mr. Right.

Gonna try "The Boys" tonight.

“When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind.”

C. S. Lewis

• Bad Times was good. Will have to watch Mr. Right.

Gonna try "The Boys" tonight.

Just watched the trailer for the boys. I'm gonna check it out.

MNN on 6/18/19

"chump will assuredly lose 2020 barring an event that cancels the election - he just cant keep his scummy yankee mouth shut"

MNN on 6/24/19

Chump is going to tote an ass kicking nov 2020

MNN on 11/14/19

fact is it is within a year of the election, the Senate will not allow him to appoint her successor. Nov 2020 he will lose.

• Just watched Hellfighters from 1968. Katherine Ross was a real looker back then.

Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

I disagree but I respect your right to be stupid.

Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

• "Take me home tonight." A story about a guy deciding to do something with his life while going to a bunch of parties in the 80's. Comedy, pretty funny.

"Polar" (On Netflix). It's kind of like John Wick, except more cartoony / comic book esque, and more violent. Basically a Hitman's Guild decides it doesn't want to pay any Hitman's retirement pensions, so it starts offing hitmen before / just as they retire.

Not a movie, but:

"Cobra Kai." It's on Youtube Premium. I signed up for the free trial month just to watch this show. It is awesome. Basically it picks up some 30 years after The Karate Kid. Larusso (the main character from the movies) is a successful business / family man, while Johnny Lawrence (the antagonist [or protagonist according to some]) is a washed up divorced handy man. Lawrence intervenes when popular high school kids try to kick the crap out of a nerd, and that nerd convinces him to reopen the "evil" Cobra Kai dojo to teach the modern generation of pussies how to fight. Larusso flips his lid when he finds out.

I don't think that there is anything else of value on YT Premium. I'm definitely cancelling before the month is out.

"The Umbrella Academy" (This one has been out for a little while, but it's getting a second season, so it's worth it to watch.) One day, 43 women suddenly give birth. But they weren't pregnant the day before. Those 43 kids start to show super powers, so an eccentric billionaire purchases 7 of them to train as super heroes in his Umbrella Academy. The show picks up some 20/30 years after this, and you can guess that they turned out as maladjusted weirdos who struggle to make anything of their lives.

• Just watched the trailer for the boys. I'm gonna check it out.

Pretty badass. I liked it.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• Watched 3 episodes of The Boys tonight, pretty good.

“When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind.”

C. S. Lewis

• Polar was good I thought.... fun anyway. I am looking forward to zombieland double tap.

A good western that did not get much play was 'Slow West' very interesting movie. I think it was shot in Nz or somewhere... looked like the west tho. Some really great bits... A kid is looking for his childhood sweetheart who had to flee their native Scotland to come to America over a killing of some lord.

Trouble is... he put a huge price on her head so she is in hiding with her dad.

One great bit at a trading post... the teen kid is looking for some new clothes... he goes in the back room to try used clothes on... he finds a coat and notices a smear of stain around a bullet hole in the top pocket area...

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• I just can't get into the superhero shit..... might give this one a try if they.... well.... I actually don't know what they could do to keep me interested.

The superhero thing has always seemed like such a lazy lame cheezy ass way to write a script. I mean... you don't have to worry about having believable characters.

You want a dark superhero? Watch (or read is better) 'The Great Gatsby'

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• The Boys isn't really about superheros being superheros.

C. S. Lewis

• So not superhero plot lazy ass shit?

lazs

No. They do go a bit left later, as expected, but it doesn't kill the story.

C. S. Lewis