My brother in law punched me tonight

• He was drunk and over the top- we were at a BBQ, and he was lit and he got angry and started talking about how he was going to shoot all of us. I tried to defuse it, and tried to get him to chill- I put my arm around him and he punched me. I rolled my shoulder and deflected his shot so instead of my face I caught it on the neck. He didn't do any real damage- but yeah, it hurt, and it pissed me off.

I walked away- I could have trashed him and fucked him up but we're old now, and way too old for fisticuffs. He got a free shot and he took it and my first reaction was to retaliate and thump his melon but this was a BBQ at my nephew's place so- I walked away. He was drunk and whiney and threatening everyone there and it would have been acceptable if I'd fucked him up- and I could, any day- and he knows it but I didn't. I took the high road and I walked away.

When I was younger I would have beat his ass but now, today, no thanks- I walked. The reason I'm posting this is because I'm proud of my response- I took a moral high ground. He was drunk and he's my wife's sister's husband and he's a fucking chump and I could have fucked him up but I didn't, I walked away instead.

He ended up looking like a punk and everybody there was aghast at his bad behavior and by walking away I won the fight much more convincingly than if I'd have beat his ass.

Sometimes the best way to win a fight is to choose not to fight.

• I'm not saying that I disagree with your response [because I wasn't there] but I don't like to set a precedence where a fuckwit thinks he can get away with a cheap shot.

The two times when I've been hit unawares; when I've turned to confront my attacker they've fled.
    That's the best outcome, watching a spineless creep fleeing in panic.
    The fear of a beating in a cowards mind is far worse than an actual flogging. 'A coward dies a thousand deaths.'

My then gf's sister & husband moved into an apartment after we had vacated.
    When cops came looking for me for warrants for $3k of unpaid speeding fines, the turd gave the cops my new address.
    Upon hearing this I was terribly displeased. Calling him to get the story, he denied his contemptible betrayal. Lying only upset me further. In a panic he then blamed his wife.
    All that I said in response was 'If you see me before I spot you, you'd better run because if I get my hands on you ..... " and left the rest to his imagination.
    The BIL was one of those arrogant sneering types who thought that he was a tough guy, so I was rather amused to hear a week later that he'd packed up his family & had moved interstate. :snicker

• Sounds like every gathering at my celt's people. We haven't gone to one since her Pa and her favorite Unc died but that's about how they played out.

I got thumped more than once at those.

• My mom's generation of Sk%$&y girls apparently developed something of a reputation for the degree to which they embraced the Irish' "drink/fight" tradition.

My only memories of family get togethers are of hollering, shit breaking, and never a kind word to anybody. Just real shitty people.

Probably why I avoid "family" centric stuff to this day although I militantly endorse my wife and kids participation. It's important.

• Unaccustomed to family squabbles where blood is shed I had no idea. The celt, unaccustomed to anything but didn't have a clue that I didn't have a clue.

When she went to one on my side of the family she was taken aback. Everyone is so civil if not a bit loud otherwise.

Her people are scorekeepers and they hold grudges. The women are the worst.

I was always glad she defends me.

• Tiny Hands should take a lesson from you Airhead.

Trump: “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” 3:01PM Nov. 8 2013

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" ~ Abe Lincoln

tRump is the Master of the Con with 70 years of practice/experience. It is sad that so many supposedly intelligent and educated people fall for his cons.

DJ Trump: while I support the Dems, if I ran I would run as a Republican because those people are easy to fool.

• Classy.

A dangerous ambition more often lurks behind the specious mask of zeal for the rights of the people than under the forbidden appearance of zeal for the firmness and efficiency of government. History will teach us that the former has been found a much more certain road to the introduction of despotism than the latter.

• I've had little contact with my father's side of the family over the decades, mostly owing to geography. MOM'S side, otoh, there are 40-50 of them in Tampa, whole damn clan gets together several times a year, they ALL get along very well, and are integral parts of each other's lives. Odd, clan was started by two die-hard Baptists from Wilson, NC... Two of the three daughters married WW2 Catholic Marines, now damn near the whole pile of them are Catholic

• Storch is not wrong. My strong Celtic family is pretty bad.... there used to be a whole lot more of us and we were all younger. The new generation seems less feud and fight prone.. maybe watching us act like idiots.

I broke my cousins nose at my gramps funeral. My female cousin knocked a guy damn near out while he was babbling at a cousins wake. One of my other cousins knocked a guy senseless at a family reunion cause he was drunk and obnoxious and would not leave when asked.

The Scottish dirk was supposedly the largest blade allowed at clan gatherings. I mean how much damage can a 7" blade do?

I am way to old for this shit now Mike and much less worried about my supposed honor or whatever. I take things a lot more casually.... I have not been hit or hit anyone in a decade.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• Shit.... I kinda lied.... a few years back I did introduce a guys head to the table at a bar. And I lost my temper when my ex son in law started shouting at Janice and I ended up chasing him all the way over to his place (next door).. He grabbed my infant grand son and held him.... I swear I wanted to hit that fucker so badly.... I was shaking.

Other than that tho.... I am all peace and love and sensitivity.

lazs

• Hey, I'm glad for two things- one, I slipped the punch so I didn't get hurt too badly although my neck is sore, and two, my response. Even after he threw the punch and started cussing me out and telling me he was going to kill me, his brother and his ex wife (in that order I presume) I was chill. His brother is actually a decent guy, and that's what got him going- he's visiting from Reno, and he's an old fuck like me, and we were having a great visit and eating prime rib and corn on the cob and playing Cornhole and it was a beautiful evening. California weather, right?

I was driving so I was sipping on a beer and staying sober, and when he punched me Steph was standing right there and she was horrified I was going to punch him back- and then impressed when I walked away. When he said he was going to shoot me I said something like "I'm sorry you're so angry with me" or something like that. It was surrealistic.

But Steph was proud of me, and we'll have BBQs with them in the future and like Storch says about grudges- we don't need them down the road. He was drunk, and over the top, and very volatile but they made it home, we made it home, and nobody bled or died so it was OK.

The only repercussion he'll suffer? I borrowed his heavy duty floor jack- the thing weighs about 90 pounds and is a 3 1/2 ton- when we were working on my truck and now I'm going to keep it. Steph's sister texted her this morning and said he's embarrassed and ashamed and very sorry, and I'm not holding a grudge but the floor jack he formally owned is now mine until he apologizes to my face and shakes my hand and promises to never punch me again. See how I roll? I am fucking Bugs Bunny.

I hope he doesn't because it's a really nice floor jack and I'd rather have that than an apology.

Happy 4th weekend- we're having my daughter, her husband and our grand kids over to wash the boat and have brunch. And for the 4th- celebrate America, warts and all. :D

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Incidents like that can and do destroy people when neither person keeps their head. Or it can recede into the past with little consequence when one does. Well done Airhead.

• I think you did the right thing.... My family is somewhat different... someone would have punched the guy even if you did not.... which would have caused all kinda hurt feelings.

I will say this..... Women like to think you can be violent............THEY DO NOT like to see it. In retrospect I think that violence... no matter how justified... put the final nail in the coffin of both of my marriages... I suppose it is a fine line... they don't like wimps in the least.... but they love..... restraint?

Steph knows you are a strong man and that it would have been easy for you to just fuck that guy up... . and ruin the day....

You got to go home and be a hero.... compare that to that "what the fuck is wrong with you?" shit.

lazs

• Iron is not wrong.... when it comes to stuff like this I have been wrong like 90% of the time.... I did not talk to my cousin for 20 years over breaking his nose. I was right but? at what cost?

lazs

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!