M1 carbine..

• I actually watched that, pretty interesting.

I actually have 2 of them, 1 built in 1942 I believe and 1 built in the 60's. Fun little rifles.

MNN on 6/18/19

"chump will assuredly lose 2020 barring an event that cancels the election - he just cant keep his scummy yankee mouth shut"

MNN on 6/24/19

Chump is going to tote an ass kicking nov 2020

MNN on 11/14/19

fact is it is within a year of the election, the Senate will not allow him to appoint her successor. Nov 2020 he will lose.

• The difference between a close combat weapon and a long range rifle. Just like he said.

‘If you’re not a liberal when you’re 25, you have no heart. If you’re not a conservative by the time you’re 35, you have no brain.’

No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot - Mark Twain

TWAT on 10/14/2019 :

Lemme say that again... I don't care. If. The accusations against Trump. Are factual. Or not.

• about as powerful as a .357 carbine. They are handly little things but the ammo is very expensive as is the brass.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• M1 Carbines are shit. Never trust your life with one.

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” - Abraham Lincoln

Paraphrased from his 1838 speech at the Young Men’s Lyceum of Springfield, Illinois.

• The ones I saw in the gun shops back in the 60's n 70's were pretty much junk...

the bolt would try lift out of the action if you pull the op handle wrong... might have been the producer's cutting corners...

most were some off the wall brand... have avoided them ever since...

Dietrich Bonhoeffer: “Silence in the face of evil is itself evil. God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”

Presbyterian Rev. Gilbert Tennant:

“He that suffers his life to be taken from him by one who has no authority for that purpose, when he might preserve it by defense, incurs the Guilt of self murder since God has enjoined him to seek the continuance of his life, and Nature itself teaches every creature to defend itself.”

• "He might use a less flattering therm than Wehrmacht soldier..." lol

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” - Abraham Lincoln

Paraphrased from his 1838 speech at the Young Men’s Lyceum of Springfield, Illinois.

• They're all wartime mass-produced by typewriter companies kind of guns. Quality varies greatly.

M2 Carbines are much better, but still not something I would trust my life with given better options.

Some argue that the M2 was the first American assault rifle. I'm of the opinion that the M2 was a rather good and powerful submachine gun.

• Well.. given that trying to get a handgun to shoot Carbine rounds is difficult... it was not really a submachine gun... the power is 110 grain at almost 2k fps... that compares pretty well to the AK round of 124 grain at 2400..

To be fair? it is somewhere between a sub gun and an 'assault rifle'

What it is..... a .357 mag carbine powered light weight carbine. handy.... more reliable and accurate than most think. Trust my life to it? of course I would... I would use soft point 100 grain or so slugs at around 2k fps.. if you can't trust your life to that at moderate ranges then what can you trust? I just rebuilt a "Universal" M1.. they are pretty much garbage compared to the military ones.... but it had like 30k rounds through it. All the 15 shot mags were flawless no matter who made em... only one in ten 30 round mags was worth a fuck.

Ok... so... I had a mini 14 and an M1 carbine at the same time. the weight and size is comparable. Both require good magazines. The mini 14 is 99.99999% reliable with Ruger mags. the accuracy at under 100 yards is about the same. Recoil is similar and blast is..... sorta similar... the Mini being more. sights and handling are very close. cost for reloading ammo is similar. Brass is way cheaper and easier to get for the .223... bullets are somewhat cheaper (FMJ) for the .223 in bulk. powder costs are somewhat cheaper for the M1 carbine.

New shooters.... they love the M1 carbine... but the Mini is not far behind.. the muzzle blast tho gives the edge to the M1....

Reliability? I am gonna go with the Mini with good mags. These things are just tanks. Mine is stainless steel so what a great outdoors boating gun huh? But there are coatings you could put on the M1.

lazs

• Soooo.. the power range is...... useful. I know guys who use Marlin lever guns in .357 mag to take all kinds of game. The 9mm carbine is a tad underpowered for such things tho.

The problem is when you go from lever gun to semi auto.. the rimmed .357 just is not really suited. There were several 44 mag semi auto carbines... None really caught on. None were 'high capacity' LOT'S of 44 mag lever guns that do a real number on game at moderate ranges and have companion handguns.

Soooo.. not saying there is a problem.. or niche to be filled but..... Imagine if you will.... A 10mm carbine. The 10mm is around the 41 mag power. a big step above the .357 and .30 carbine. It is rimless and would feed well.

While still a handgun bullet from 160-200 grains and with a lousy BC... It would have at least the effective range of a 44 mag lever gun... about 175 yards on game. And.. you could have a pistol in the same caliber.

lazs

• Yes... I am rambling but this stuff is interesting to me... lets look at the .357 sig round. This is a bottleneck case... like say a .40 necked down to .357 This makes it feed very well.

Power wise? no better than a .357 mag and perhaps if we are honest 5-10% less... but still... rimless.. it would feed in a carbine. Ammo is expensive... .brass is expensive.. reloading is more complex but not prohibitive.

As a side note. I just shot two Marlins side by side that weighed about the same.. both lever guns.. one in .357 and one in 44 mag... The .357 was way more pleasant to shoot. And way less potent by any measure.

lazs

• Well.. given that trying to get a handgun to shoot Carbine rounds is difficult... it was not really a submachine gun... the power is 110 grain at almost 2k fps... that compares pretty well to the AK round of 124 grain at 2400..

.30 Carbine

110 gr FMJ 1,990 ft/s 967 ft⋅lbf

7.62x39 mm

123 gr FMJ 2,421 ft/s 1,607 ft⋅lbf

Not even close.

What is close is this:

• just don't wok well. even worse with the banana mags.had a gas plug blow out on one of my carbines,loctided back in and it blew out again. using hadloads backed off. too much fucking around. bought a marlin 3030 lever gun then a 94 winchester. that .44 16 inch barrel was a little demon.i bought all the crap from numerich to slick it up. you can't beat walnut and steel. the little 44 was nearly as quick as a self loader

• squarehead.... I think the carbine is closer to an assault rifle than pistol caliber carbines. the power is not the entire thing but 1000 pounds of energy is nothing to sneer at. To me an assault rifle is something that bridges between sub machine guns using pistol rounds and full battle rifle rounds.

The carbine was never meant to be a pistol round it was meant to bridge that gap. It may be on the low end of the assault rifle scale but it is by definition one.

The 10mm was never meant to be a carbine round but is now.... I know it is splitting hairs but historically it makes sense. The MP5 was meant to be a sub gun.... no matter what round it fires. I wouldn't use some arbitrary energy figure as a definition.

lazs

• Excel.... yes.... the same happened to my brothers M1 copy. I bought a tap for the gas plug block and re tapped it then used bearing sealer locktite to keep it together... so far so good.

lazs

• im a lefty. when my m1 worked i got a facefull of hot brass. and that was the good one

i went to armalites, the 18 and 15. should have bought a 10 but it was a grand and i didn't have the money. i wanted the stoner set.

no matter now. i have my spud gun

• Newly created posts will remain inaccessible for others until approved by a moderator.

The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.