MS Flight Simulator

• It's varied a lot. The trend has been down for a while now and so the miners are not buying up all the cards.

“When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind.”

C. S. Lewis

• Yeah... What's the return on investment?

Depends on how much the cryptocurrency is worth. These days, not so much. 2 years ago, however, cryptocurrency was worth so much that the 1000 series of nVidia Graphics Card, despite being 50% the cost to manufacture of the previous generation of cards rose in price to at least double that. At least.

These days with everyone and their mom having their own separate cryptocurrency, the fact that a LOT of the currencies go bust, and a LOT of them get totally hacked and made worthless, "mining" has lost its appeal. For the most part.

• Yeah... I don't get it.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• Yeah... I don't get it.

Basically people were selling their computer's run time and getting paid in a currency that doesn't actually exist. The more powerful your computer, the more fake money you got paid.

But when people thought that the fake money was valuable, people did it so much that it affected the price of computer components. Now that the fake money is only a fraction as valuable as before, the price of computer components is dropping.

• Yeah... I get that. What were they computing? and for what?

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• Yeah... I get that. What were they computing? and for what?

They're decypting an algorithm that becomes progressively difficult. The more people decrypting, the more difficult it is. The more coins issued, the more difficult it is. The "coins" are rewards for spending the time mining. It's a conversion of energy into algorithm people agree has value. It's incredibly libertarian.

When XMR was trading for $350/coin, most of my friends used their gaming PCs and relatively cheap power ($0.09 per kWh vs say Germany at $0.34 per kWh) to mine XMR. They traded XMR for BTC, traded the BTC for Amazon gift cards, and their cost for a new gaming PC every year became dirt cheap. Now they bounce from coin to coin depending on where the "difficulty" is low at the time, but have sold off the mining rigs as it was more profitable to sell the Vega 64s on ebay.

The "other" why for crypto currency is important. It's for anonymity. Anonymous coins like XMR get traded for Bitcoin, which gets traded for cash. That lets you much more easily launder it for black market purposes, nation state gun running, hide from oppressive governments, etc.