Eastern Kentucky..

• Out there, in most counties, they're about the only part of the home seat that requires permits and inspections. Just goes to show how bad it's gotten. Word is, most of the ground percs ok and if you have enough flat, move the site 100' and it'll probably pass. Or so I understand. But again, more interested in issues common to the eastern edge.

Hence the O.P.

Like I said, the only real criteria at the moment is whether I can get a trailer on it 2 or 3 times a year. Anything else is gravy.

I had read there are still some issues lingering from the mining days...BUT I'm of the impression there may be a third life for the local mines. As we speak many are idle because the variety of coal isn't used by modern consumers...too dirty or not enough b.t.u.'s or something. But I wonder if, one day, it might find a purpose if and when the good stuff gets consumed.

• Boy, do I feel like a hickerbilly-- I have no zoning laws or building codes & have a deep well (even though the water table is fairly high) & a lagoon (its too clayey for a septic system). We had an outhouse when we first moved to the country & we hauled water.

• Exactly. I started off looking at improved land, then thought maybe I'd build, but after some consideration decided not to acquire more maintenance, insurance, and worry. Maybe one day I'd consider it but really just want to have the option. Especially if I ever want to sell. But a well and septic tank will, combined, add a substantial premium to the cost. Plus the added liabilities forementioned. Most septic systems need an inspection upon transfer and a lot of older ones don't pass so I reckon if I want one I'll have to install it. Water...that's a whole other kettle of fish.

I've seen and walked all sorts of places and terrains so now it's just a matter of finding the right parcel. I've stumbled across some acceptable offerings but got real busy early in the year. I imagine I'll have to start over. Hopefully better informed.

• Find something with a creek and 5 acres of cleared area/pasture, the more hardwoods the better for the rest of it. Put in a good wood burning stove and you’ll never be cold or need to eat cold food.

Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

I disagree but I respect your right to be stupid.

Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

• As long as 5 of it is in pasture...

Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

I disagree but I respect your right to be stupid.

Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

• Yeah well,

We looked at parcels from 5 to 80 acres. The larger ones were pretty much steep hillside with the occasional random spot of flat. Anything over a couple of acres has a creek...

A couple stood out. I gravitated to the interesting geography and isolation and she liked the more rolling land in better areas. But every pro has a con so to speak so we've got to weigh all the attributes. Pretty much everything we saw has been logged at some point. Select cut and mostly regrown but with that shitty underbrush that follows harvesting. I'm not looking to exploit the property so that's not so much of an issue. Actually a few logging roads make the land more accessible even if they need a pass with a brush hog to make them walkable.

Right now the leaders are 15-35 acres, water and electric at the road, The one stand out has about 4 acres cleared, a spring fed creek and a good tall bluff at the creek for a backstop. Just gotta figure out where the lines run since the deed is typical (for the area) tree to rock reckoning.

• a forty acre with roughly twenty in pasture and twenty in orange/citrus grove is what I'm getting next after we settle in a beach cottage to simmer the war pathing celt.

She's already unhappy with the store eggs and bacon.

It won't be long.

• a forty acre with roughly twenty in pasture and twenty in orange/citrus grove is what I'm getting next after we settle in a beach cottage to simmer the war pathing celt.

She's already unhappy with the store eggs and bacon.

It won't be long.

What are you doing in the meantime?

No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full