who buys a $700 RIA 38 super?

• We are talking a genueeeeeyne nickle plated military A1 1911... In 38 super.. that has the ugliest grips any 1911 has ever seen. You can buy a parkerized 1911 in 45 acp for ??? $399? on sale? dead reliable.. cheap ammo.. etc.

the 38 super...........Ammo costs as much as .357 mag ammo.. Brass and all expensive. Magazines? expensive.

Good news.. Ok.. it holds one whole more round than a 45 acp... The recoil is pretty light.. it is also a pretty accurate round these days. Gangster 1930's gun supreme and drug lord mexico gun supreme.

Power... For sure makes the 9mm look weak. not the same as a .357 mag tho. Factory loads are mild.. but figure 1350 fps from 135 grain slugs for reloads or specialty ammo.. more if you are brave. The 1911 is tough.. it can handle 1400 fps 38 super loads.. this is close.. the the .357 magnum and really? if there were more attention from the ammo makers? The 38 super would have made the .357 sig a moot point.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• Don't know that I'd buy one like you describe... too dang flashy IMHO...

but .38 super is a fine round... shoots pretty flat... and will pen things a 45 will flatten on...

dang good defense round with the right ammo... sig makes some pretty good stuff BTW...

and is one of the few that does...

Dietrich Bonhoeffer: “Silence in the face of evil is itself evil. God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”

Presbyterian Rev. Gilbert Tennant:

“He that suffers his life to be taken from him by one who has no authority for that purpose, when he might preserve it by defense, incurs the Guilt of self murder since God has enjoined him to seek the continuance of his life, and Nature itself teaches every creature to defend itself.”

• .38 super is not that much of an improvement over the 9mm.

In a world where I will give each customer a Mozambique irrespective of what I'm holding today's defensive 9mms are my choice.

I still holster a .357 if I wander into the wood.

Around town the 411 or the CZ-75

• There is factory ammo that is loaded correctly and factory ammo that is loaded incorrectly and sometimes it is the same ammo but a year apart.

lazs

• I have a stainless 1911 ParaOrdnance SSR in 38 Super. It has beautiful wood grips, is deadly accurate and stone reliable.

many used em for a time in pistol match's before they changed the rules and allowed 9mm in...

very accurate round IMHO...

Dietrich Bonhoeffer: “Silence in the face of evil is itself evil. God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”

Presbyterian Rev. Gilbert Tennant:

“He that suffers his life to be taken from him by one who has no authority for that purpose, when he might preserve it by defense, incurs the Guilt of self murder since God has enjoined him to seek the continuance of his life, and Nature itself teaches every creature to defend itself.”

• It is funny but the 38 super lost popularity early on because it was not an accurate round! they used to chamber em so that they seated on that tiny little rim. when they figured out how to chamber the guns to seat on the case mouth it was a whole new ballgame.... they were deadly accurate. but by then? 9mm was already established.

Then the gun games got popular and everyone had to have a semi auto and they were almost all 45 acp... a few did well with 9mm with light loads so they made all guns and ammo meet a 'power factor' the nines simply could not do it.

But the super? it easily made major power factor. sooo.. then they went full circle due to the 9mm's popularity and lowered the power factor and here we are again.

lazs

• Newly created posts will remain inaccessible for others until approved by a moderator.

The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.