couple questions

• I thought on it more as I fell asleep. I think you're right, and I should be zeroing at 100. from what I can find, that'll give me a flatter trajectory. it seems that with me setting zero at 25, I've got the bullet climbing hard....so it's still really climbing at 100 yards. gonna re-zero this weekend and try it.

• I thought on it more as I fell asleep. I think you're right, and I should be zeroing at 100. from what I can find, that'll give me a flatter trajectory. it seems that with me setting zero at 25, I've got the bullet climbing hard....so it's still really climbing at 100 yards. gonna re-zero this weekend and try it.

I've wondered about that. Is the Bernoulli effect involved? From what I read there is no rise from the barrel trajectory.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/bullet_trajectory.htm

• I've wondered about that. Is the Bernoulli effect involved? From what I read there is no rise from the barrel trajectory.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/bullet_trajectory.htm

The projectile flies a parabolic arc because you are tilting the barrel up. The minute it leaves the barrel it is falling vertically

what storch said.

since the scope's a couple inches higher than the muzzle, we're in essence tilting the barrel up slightly to make the bullet intersect with the sight.

• Started, lol.

Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

I disagree but I respect your right to be stupid.

Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

• Ok.... for a scope or the old M16 sights that are high off the rifle.... you are going to be shooting a couple inches low at 25 yards if it is on at 100. with say a mini 14 or M14 the sights are pretty much on from 25-200 slightly high at 100... inch or two.

Sooo... we go out shooting and my buddy brings his M&P in 9mm. He fires a round and it goes who the hell knows where and the gun jams... he wracks the slide and gets another round in and same thing.

he brought the wrong can and was shooting .32 auto from it. The .32 auto has a 'semi rim' that was held by the extractor so it could fire.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• If you're going to be using that AR for 3 gun, I suggest this zero for the best results at any range from very close to 300m (depending on the 3 gun league you may need to get hits out to 200 or 300). 36 yard zero is best overall IMO for any optic with an AR. It's pretty much a 36 yard zero which will work with any optic sight including yours. Anyhow this vid will describe easily and accurately what's happening with your 25/etc yard zeros.

So far as the 92F, first try some different ammo, as the mags make it unlikely to be a magazine issue if all of them are not working right. Then examine the extractor for any damage (also clean it and make sure it's well lubed). Then check the ejector (attached to the frame on the left hand side), and make sure it isn't busted off near the end/tip. If it isn't the ammo or either of those 2 things, check out your brass and see if the extractor is punching deep gouges or even holes in the brass. Also check that the rails on the slide/frame are straight still without any damage, burrs, junk, whatever in them, and that the slide cycles very smoothly still. It could also be a worn out recoil spring, check that too.

I do think from what you're describing that it's likely the ejector, or maybe the extractor, or both (if it isn't the ammo or recoil spring). You have to push a pin out to get the extractor out (you're a mechanic, should be easy, haha, check some vids on YT for how to if you need to), and also carefully check the extractor spring after cleaning that all up, and make sure it's still "springy" and working as it should. Also compare your ejector to others online and make sure as I said a piece of it hasn't busted off, leaving you with a partial ejector rod, which will fuck things up similar to what you're describing too (extracting but not ejecting, and making stovepipes left and right).

Also take the barrel out and make sure that rounds go smoothly and easily into the chamber/barrel, and fall out easily as well. Re reading your post has me wondering about the hesitation for the handgun to go easily and smoothly into battery. Check that the guide rod isn't bent at all and is perfectly straight when you check the slide/rails to ensure the same.

• Yeah Gman... one of the reasons I tell people to not clean the gun after a session of jams is I want to see any brass streaks along the rails or on the take down pin etc. The ejector is easy to see MOST of the time... if it is broke it is obvious. the extractor is not always obvious and as we say... check the spring for it. In any case I would remove the extractor and give the channel and spring etc. a good cleaning.

One thing that needs to be done with semi autos.... the recoil spring does wear. A weak spring will mimic an extractor acting up.... doesn't hurt to replace the spring every 5k rounds or so.... I would suggest a Wolf replacement. Ejectors can be tricky and often will need to be fitted somewhat.

On sighting in the AR with optics or just the high sights... Yes... it is gonna shoot low at 25 yards if you want it to shoot flat out to 100-300... the bore is just too low under the sights to make it work at 25 and 100... A gun like my mini will sight in at 25 and be good out to 200 or more. Never heard the 36 yard thing but it makes sense. most guys I know sight em in an inch or so low at 25 and then take em to the 50... should be on at 50.

lazs

• this looks very dry to me. I think I fucked up. oiled it last time I put it away, but didn't check to see that it was still oiled well. I think that the oil migrated away, which I believe we had a thread on at one point?

• what did you use? some kinda sink in so to speak...

Dietrich Bonhoeffer: “Silence in the face of evil is itself evil. God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”

Presbyterian Rev. Gilbert Tennant:

“He that suffers his life to be taken from him by one who has no authority for that purpose, when he might preserve it by defense, incurs the Guilt of self murder since God has enjoined him to seek the continuance of his life, and Nature itself teaches every creature to defend itself.”

• Yeah... it looks like it is running dry but that should not have been a huge deal. theory has it that on blue or stainless steel oil will migrate away in as little as three days. What that means to me is to use a good lube that penetrates like CLP or my homemade ED's Red mixture and.... lube the thing before you go out. even if it has only been a few days.

I like to use a little grease on the slide. I got some tube of some super duper grease for guns I bought a decade ago and I use it sparingly on the bolt lugs and the slide.... it seems to stay put....

lazs

• Yeah... it looks like it is running dry but that should not have been a huge deal. theory has it that on blue or stainless steel oil will migrate away in as little as three days. What that means to me is to use a good lube that penetrates like CLP or my homemade ED's Red mixture and.... lube the thing before you go out. even if it has only been a few days.

I like to use a little grease on the slide. I got some tube of some super duper grease for guns I bought a decade ago and I use it sparingly on the bolt lugs and the slide.... it seems to stay put....

lazs

funny you mention grease.....'cause when i finished cleaning last night, as i started to lube it, i remembered the thread about greasing the bcg on ar's......so i did just what you said above. greased the slides. very very thin coat. and anything that looked like it moved got a very thin coat. i'll not be able to hit the range till sunday again....but i'll post back how it ran. i DID cycle a few rounds through, just racking the slide....and it moved with zero hesitation, so that makes me feel good that it was that simple

• I use the grease on semi autos cause I don't have to worry so much that the oil will not be there when I go to shoot the gun. I have seen guys take something like balistol and spray the gun pretty liberally and wipe then wipe it down just before they go to the range of whatever.

CLP is great and I will clean a gun and then maybe soak all the parts with a goodly amount of CLP hand rubbed in.. then wipe em down with a CLP soaked rag as I am putting the thing back together.

lazs