The Grateful Dead

• Well...

Never has there been a more polarizing band. You either like the Dead or you don't.

I enjoy lots of Grateful Dead music.

Some, not so much.

Jerry had some great quotes; "making a record in the studio is like building a ship in a bottle. Playing live on stage is like being in a row boat during a hurricane...".

"We either feel the music or we don't. Some nights we feel it and it's magic. Other nights we don't, and its not..."

I'm paraphrasing from memory.

Anthem Of The Sun is my favorite Grateful Dead record.

What's yours? Love em? Hate em? Did you follow them for 2 years and sell acid to finance the experience?

Weigh in.

• I pretty much like the dead. there are times I appreciate a tight band and other times not. the dead were like that. they were real. I saw them once in LA and didn't stay the whole event.

Later in my life, after Garcia's passing and at the rise of YouTube I started listening to their stuff on and off. Some of their fan recorded offerings sound really high quality, enough to make you think it was a production recording other is difficult.

They were well tuned into each other noodlers.

Flame away.

• I remember nuke rebuking me once when I commented that Cream was a sloppy band at times. He claimed they were incredibly tight. I wish there was a recording when Mr. Baker wasn't his best self.

• sloppy mindless noodling.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

• I remember nuke rebuking me once when I commented that Cream was a sloppy band at times. He claimed they were incredibly tight. I wish there was a recording when Mr. Baker wasn't his best self.

Baker and Bruce are flawless. Its Eric "Mr

Heroin" Clapton who makes mistakes.

But it's Baker who killed the band. He's a human piece of shit. He then went on to destroy Blind Faith which is inexcusable in my book, those are the best songs Windwood ever wrote.

• Yeah?

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

• Grateful Dead = only show I ever saw where the band (well, actually some of the roadies) threw dope out into the crowd.

A LOT of dope (looked like about 15-20 pounds, all in little 1/2 ounce bags that each had some papers and strike anywhere matches in 'em)

I've been a Dead fan ever since :-)

• There are plenty of GD tunes I like. Not a lot I don't... I don't really like any of the super fans tho. To me Winwood is a genius. almost on a par with Brian Wilson.

The album "Winwood" is pure greatness.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• I still to this day have never knowingly heard a Grateful Dead song. They never got any traction here. I might go and search BoobTube and see what I think.

You can identify an unknown force by firing one shot and judging the response.

- If the unknowns respond with precise, regimented rifle fire, they are British.

- If they respond with heavy machinegun fire, they are German.

- If nothing happens for a few minutes, then your whole position gets leveled by artillery, they are American.

- If they surrender, they're French.

:littlered

• One minute fifty five in and it's sort of like that daggy stage between short and long hair.

You can identify an unknown force by firing one shot and judging the response.

- If the unknowns respond with precise, regimented rifle fire, they are British.

- If they respond with heavy machinegun fire, they are German.

- If nothing happens for a few minutes, then your whole position gets leveled by artillery, they are American.

- If they surrender, they're French.

:littlered

• I still to this day have never knowingly heard a Grateful Dead song. They never got any traction here. I might go and search BoobTube and see what I think.

This was from their funk era:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!