Garden results so far

• Did really well with the small bit we've harvested so far. Lots of carrots, a ridiculous amount, I'd never have thought so many would be under there. Potatoes have been great this year too. Corn we've only checked a few stalks, but it looks fantastic for our first time planting it, and it's not a lot, but enough for us. Peas did real well, but my favorite, cucumbers, dill, and peppers have done really well.

I'd never have thought 10 years ago, or even 5, that I'd get such satisfaction about growing things in my own garden. Even with our small plot at our lake home, I could easily grow enough to feed us especially if I shot the odd dear, elk, or even geese and other waterfowl that are everywhere around here. It's incredible to me, every time since we started this a few years back, what a few packages of little seeds, seedlings, and such will produce. Rhubarb is insane to me - how these stupid ass plants come back the way they do, EVERY year, and keep growing larger and producing even more crop...it's quite a mystery to me. Rhubarb pie/crisp= good times, especially when it's your own. I'm going to add asparagus and horseradish to the perenials this year, the amount of rhubarb we took was so large that we've given 1/2 away already, and still have more than I know what to do with, all off a dozen plantings back in 2013. Crazy.

Made a meal last night that would be pretty common in a shtf type deal. Can of decent beans off the shelf, some sliced deer sausage into that, some sliced green peppers on the side, mashed carrots, and some cooked potatoes, and some sliced cucumber in vinegar/water/ice. Everything but the salt/pepper and beans we produced ourselves, total cost...not very much, and the stocks of canned goods I rotate will feed us...forever. Not that it's preferred dining or anything, but it's pretty damn good, especially after protein shakes forever, and ever, that I've been eating.

• Incredibly so, I think doing it all over I'd have been really happy as a farmer, gardener, green house owner, etc. I'm sure it's heartbreaking when things fail, but we've been fortunate, in 3 years of this little to now loss, and the critter layered defense grid has worked perfectly thus far.

I can understand why it's such a huge hobby, in places like NJ, and even the UK.

I'd say conservatively there are 200 more pails of these things. Maybe more. If I give some to my aunt she'll can them for me, and then make pickled carrots for 1/2 of mine, which are my fav for carrots.

• Do it Smudge, none of us are getting younger, and the more things like this I try in my advancing years and as my time clicks off, the more things I realize I've missed out on. Mostly out of fear of failure, as I hate failing, but it's pretty hard to screw this up, even aero or aquaponics. That is VERY popular up here, in fact the RCMP have complained publicly that it makes finding the illegal MJ grow operations more difficult (good!).

It's like money won over money earned, and other similar sayings that seem to hold little merit, until you actually do it. Growing/eating your own food, there's just something about it that makes it 10x more enjoyable than the grocery store, even the farmers markets, which is a close #2.

We've found that in just a few years of doing this that others that do the same nearby have not just helped us out on the how=tos, but also on getting in on the larger market, being able to trade, donate, etc our extra/bonus crops for stuff we'd like, as well as help out others. Fresh fruit like crab apples, Saskatoon berries, raspberries, strawberries, cherries, etc here are easy to trade/barter for.

Stir fried tonight, everything was our own, some chicken breasts I BBQ'd then put into the stifry pan, which we got from family that raises poultry, all our own vegetables, the only store bought things were the sauces from my doctor's wife's olive oil import biz near here, and some seasonings.

• I've tried twice to grow strawberrys in a gutter on the side of my deck rail but no go. I think something is eating them so I built a screen cover for next year. We will see.

Putting your hands in the dirt is very therapeutic, feels good to plant and grow stuff. Moving landscape stones, not so much.

Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

I disagree but I respect your right to be stupid.

Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

Edited once, last by Razer ().

• Glam

I used to buy off of Stokes and T&T

Both had early corn, mid and late season corn.

All seeds are for our northern climates.

See if you can locate a 3pt hitch potatoe digger for your tractor. Makes digging the root vegetables very easy.

Bait

• my second ex liked gardens... I tilled up a 20x20 spot and it really does produce a lot of veggies. LOL.. .yeah the carrots.. zillions... leaning to garden means that you end up with a whole lot more of one thing than you thought and less of another.. It's a learning curve.

I have a reloaders mindset... or preppers or whatever always have. I handload all my ammo including casting the bullets... hell... got a kurig.... ended up buying those refillable cups so now I handload my coffe... One of the most useful things to grow is tomatoes... you can sauce/can em... another is potatoes. I don't really care for peppers but in small amounts? why not? they could spice of a shtf meal in moderation.

Gardening inevitably leads to canning tho.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• I'd never have thought 10 years ago, or even 5, that I'd get such satisfaction about growing things in my own garden.

I didn't either. And I was right. In fact MLW wanted me to have the experience of growing something, so bought me some bulbs to plant in a terracotta pot, with instructions on what to do. I did get some flowers come up. Can't even remember what they were now! That was about 10 years ago, and I've never repeated the attempt. Not my forte I'm afraid.

But do you remember jackal1 on NK? He grew lots of veg and posted pics - quite impressive.

• My orange tree smashed us this year, probably about 200 oranges, after the first 50 nobody wanted to see them again.

You can identify an unknown force by firing one shot and judging the response.

- If the unknowns respond with precise, regimented rifle fire, they are British.

- If they respond with heavy machinegun fire, they are German.

- If nothing happens for a few minutes, then your whole position gets leveled by artillery, they are American.

- If they surrender, they're French.

:littlered

• I planted 2 zucchini plants in my garden a couple of years ago.

That was one too many.

Now I hate zucchini.

Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

I disagree but I respect your right to be stupid.

Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

• They don't have gloves in the UK?

Growing up we had a 1/2 acre lot and half of that was garden. Pulling weeds was no fun.

Trump: “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” 3:01PM Nov. 8 2013

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" ~ Abe Lincoln

tRump is the Master of the Con with 70 years of practice/experience. It is sad that so many supposedly intelligent and educated people fall for his cons.

DJ Trump: while I support the Dems, if I ran I would run as a Republican because those people are easy to fool.

• beet... I do love me some ex's...

gardens are like that too... you get too much of one thing and maybe not enough of another. but.. there is always next year and something new to try.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!