Kerbal Space Program

• I know we have a few players here. I just downloaded it the other day and I've already killed all my pilots. How do I get more?

:sadboy

You can identify an unknown force by firing one shot and judging the response.

- If the unknowns respond with precise, regimented rifle fire, they are British.

- If they respond with heavy machinegun fire, they are German.

- If nothing happens for a few minutes, then your whole position gets leveled by artillery, they are American.

- If they surrender, they're French.

:littlered

• It may depend on the type of game you started. In sandbox mode you can go to the astronaut complex and recruit more.

• Wouldn't tell anyone how to play but my first goal was this. Get a ship into orbit that has enough fuel to then get to the Mun and orbit. Docked is a lander that has enough fuel to land on the mun and make it back into orbit and return to Kerbal. I could tell you exactly how I did it but that would spoil all the fun of many hours trial and error.

• If you've killed all the applicants then uninstall the game.

;)

Or, start a new game.

I'm playing career and I have killed all the pilots in the astronaut centre. I only have engineers and scientists left.

You can identify an unknown force by firing one shot and judging the response.

- If the unknowns respond with precise, regimented rifle fire, they are British.

- If they respond with heavy machinegun fire, they are German.

- If nothing happens for a few minutes, then your whole position gets leveled by artillery, they are American.

- If they surrender, they're French.

:littlered

• I didn't spend much time in career mode. Sandbox offers plenty of challenges. Build an orbiting gas station. Build a Mun base. Land on and return from the various planets.

• Building a Mun base or base on another planet may not sound like much to those who have not played KSP but you don't just assemble parts on the Mun. You have to get them there first.

• I didn't spend much time in career mode. Sandbox offers plenty of challenges. Build an orbiting gas station. Build a Mun base. Land on and return from the various planets.

Career mode is better. It's a better path to learn the systems, how things work, and the progression of technology. There's no sense in giving a player a Titan rocket when they can barely get a solid state booster off the pad without killing their pilots. Plus it gives players a means to earn bigger and better stuff without overloading them with too many items.

As for killing your pilots, I leaned heavily on the mission reset function. I.E. Anytime you fail, you're given the option to reset to the landing pad, or back to the build hangar. I became proficient enough that I hardly ever reset, even if it means I have to send out a newly designed rescue ship to save the rocket I just ran out of gas around the mun.

Once you learn the base "rules", like how to return to Kerbol, how to airbrake, how to plan trips, and how to plan craft to craft rendezvouses, you're set for the bigger stuff. I.E. Space stations, mining trips, SSTO's...

• Scott Manley is a real space engineer who does a lot of videos on KSP and the real science of space travel.

Learning how to do an asparagus set up on your rockets will GREATLY help you to get places quickly.

Basically imagine you have 4 boosters around your main rocket engine. 5 rockets total. 2 pairs around the outside. Have fuel lines leading from the A pair into the B pair, and make sure to mirror it. Then have fuel lines leading from the B pair into the main center rocket.

What this does is pump fuel down the line. You ignite all 5 rockets, and it pumps fuel from A into B AND into Main. "A" rockets run out quickly, so you drop them. Then you have B + Main rockets at full fuel. B is still putting fuel into Main. B's run out soon after, so you drop them. Then you have the main rocket STILL at full fuel, but you've had the benefit of having 5 full rocket acceleration at launch.

• Cruising along the terminator of Kerbin omw back to the KSC... Like someone said in the Scatterer mod thread "KSP has no business looking this good!"

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see.” -- Ayn Rand

• What did I just watch?

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• I really need to get into Kerbal, I've had it for years and only done a bit of the initial training missions. IMO its a perfect game for a home theater PC television, and I'm going to start playing it on an OLED tv instead of at a desk with a gaming size monitor. Good couch surfing game I hope. I'm going to pick up that DLC stuff as well. Prepare for question posts all of you who have played it before.

• Newly created posts will remain inaccessible for others until approved by a moderator.

The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.