Ruger .22

• Or.. you could shoot 1k rounds or so and it will be the same.. and no.. he won't have it the way the woodsmans is. it will be light.. but it will have overtravel. It will be.,................a Ruger................ you gonna leave a note that says. ."yeah... it looks like a ruger and feels like a ruger and is about as accurate as a ruger but.. this one is special" ?? fuck that shit.. leave em a gun that is special.

"my grandpa was great but he was a cheap ass fuck who didn't know squat about guns" nope... not sure I want to look down and hear that at my memorial.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• i see this a lot from off duty local police. watched one mag-dump into the floor. at 10 yards.

• Went shooting with my buddies son who is a marine sniper.. well... and his buddy who is also one. It was at my other buddies orchard... They brought steel negros to shoot at.. we just put beer cans on the berm. We generally use a pickup to hold all the guns and ammo.. tailgate party for people who hate watching sports.

Anyway when we parked the truck 30 yards from the berm they were wondering why so far. They also like to walk and shoot. They don't point shoot.. they don't hip shoot. What they were doing looked really tiring to me. The steel negros were taking a beating tho. teensy little 9mm bullets going ping ping ping. so anyway.. I had .357 and .45 and of course...44 mag guns... which they wanted to shoot... they had actually never shot a revolver much less a 44 mag.. they had shot .45 acp tho. let em shoot my kimber. more of a 'clang clang clang' on the steel negros. when it came to the 44 mag I told em not to shoot the negros cause they would damage em.

Ha ha... they thought I was joking I guess. after a few rounds there was a noticeable bow to em.

Got to hand it to em tho... they helped burn up every round I brought which... was maybe 400-500 rounds if I recall correctly... usually is about that when there are more than a few guys. Shooting clay pigeons on the berm or cans was the most fun tho... even for them.

lazs

• The big "deal" IMO with the new Ruger .22 semi auto pistol, is how much easier it is to break down to clean. I have 6 various models from the very first gen Mk to MK2 stainless, Mk3s, 45 grip angle models, etc. I'll be buying one of the new ones, probably 2, a competition and maybe a 22/45(.22 pistols are the one thing I have more of than AR variants, I'll be over 30 with the new Rugers). They did change the magazines though which is a piss off, and means having to purchase another dozen new ones.

• Gman.. I never understood your fascination with 22 pistols.. I guess it is because that is all I could afford to shoot as a kid. I 'outgrew' em much as I outgrew the BB guns before that.

My 22 High Standard Sport King taught me more about shooting handguns tho than any other gun. For me the top quality 22 pistols would be the Smith model 41 which can still be had for about $1,200 Then a three way tie with Colt Woodsman... High Standard and Browning buck mark. with a slight edge going to the High Standard in it's victor and Olympic range.

All of the last three are no longer made.. all were extremely high quality and made a Ruger look like a joke gun. To me the Ruger is simply taking the cheapest 22 rifle action and cutting it down. But I will admit that the 45 grip angle and the ability for someone besides a gunsmith or idiot savante mechanic to take apart are huge steps forward.

My first centerfire was a K38 masterpiece Smith and a lyman tool to reload. It was as accurate as any 22 pistol I had shot when I did my part and the cost was not much more for reloads.

That still holds true today with my PPC gun and gods gift to handguns.. the Python. I can load 38's for $3 a box. here is the gun under the '30 lazs' test Ruger... the target on the right is from the 38

lazs

• Still have a couple Smith 41s, best mid range .22 for under 2 grand out there, still. I have a couple Hammerli competition .22 that will outshoot them, but they are an Olympic style pistol, not a field gun really like the 41. If I had to choose just one semi .22 to keep, it'd be a Smith 41. I keep the Ruger .22 around due to their ability to run cans, and that they are cheap.

• Gman... ever shot a good Woodsman? I kick myself in the butt for getting rid of an old angle grip one. The High standard Victor is a can shooting fool too as is the Buckmark.

The thing about the Ruger is it is a closed design.. the bolt is enclosed. The others are open design. 22's are filthy. Most guys who like Rugers learn to shoot the plated bullets almost exclusively. The open designs let the crud fly out more.

I have a High Standard Sport King and a first model Ruger but they are at relatives homes. I don't really miss em. What I do enjoy is my k22 Smith revolver. I might pick up a Cimarron in 22 also... if you are gonna have a 22 lr day then there is something relaxing about the SAA design and all the time it takes to unload and then reload. For those who shoot 22lr or don't reload centerfire.... a day with a SAA 22 is real cheap.

lazs

• I've got 2 Colt Woodsman Lazs, one was turned in by an 80 something year old lady to my company back in 2002, I was legally allowed to offer $ for any non-prohibited firearm being turned in, in lieu of it just being confiscated and destroyed. Usually 50 bucks would suffice for most people when I offered to take care of all the paper work, they mainly just didn't want headaches, and wanted to be rid of their dead husband/etc's firearms. I have field and match target model, the target having the thicker barrel with the added material for weight and balance. The "field" grade one with the thin barrel shoots identically from sand bags, easily giving the Smith 41 and Hammerlis I have a run for the money with match ammo from RUAG. I've got only 4 mags between them, and don't shoot them much, but they're great.

I have a stainless Buckmark too, and a Browning SA22 Grade 1 rifle, great little rifle, tiny, thin, light, breaks in 2 easily and quickly for stashing in a pack, bottom ejection which is great even prone, and tubular mag, which while slower than a 10/22 for reloading, keeps the rifle one slender, thin piece. I inherited it, but got the Buckmark in a trade long ago IIRC.

I have a few revolvers in .22 handguns, but need more. A couple 3screw Rugers, a couple other single action SAA clone .22s, but I'm going to find a Smith or two .22 revolver as they're excellent, and missing from the collection.

When living in the USA my pile of .22 handguns will go from 30 ish to double that in short order, as you always want that which you cannont have, and the short barrel stuff which is all prohib up here, (I only have one, the Beretta tilt barrel I got and kept before the law changed and banned/grandfathered them all). Lots of small revolvers and autos on the .22 list.

• damn Gman.. those Woodsmans are nice... I agree.. they shoot like match guns. Colt has always been tops for barrels.. even when their SAA guns had oversize chambers the bore was primo... my Python actually has a taper bore.. tighter at the muzzle than the forcing cone.. that takes some pretty savy barrel making.

Lol.. I had a little tilt barrel.. it was surprisingly accurate and foolproof. It would shock people at how accurate it was at distances of say 15 yards.

the buckmarks I have never owned but everyone I knew seemed to have one. They are very much like the Woodsman and the High Standard. less complicated than the Woodsman but more than the High Standard.

I have a lot of centerfire revolvers and semi's and since I reload the cost to shoot is comparable to a 22 so I have pretty much just gotten away from shooting the little buggers. If another Woodsman or HS or buck crosses my hands tho for reasonable I will probly grab it.

I was shocked to see that they still make the SA 22 Browning.. it is a very elegant rifle that looks like it is from another era... in a good way. Putting one next to a Ruger 10/22 is like putting some old crone next to the winner of the beauty contest.

lazs

• I have not seen the grade one.. but seen plenty of field grade ones.. they are graceful as any 22 rifle ever made... one that comes close to being as neat and graceful is a 1890 winchester pump... I have two.. they were all takedown guns.. They are not sleek like the Browning but gorgeous in their own way.

The later models were a bit smaller but the 90 has that octagon barrel and nice hammer and trigger.

lazs

• Dammit Gman, get an avatar and change your title. I'm having a hard time taking you seriously with "fresh meat cutie pie" under the blank avatar...

MNN on 6/18/19

"chump will assuredly lose 2020 barring an event that cancels the election - he just cant keep his scummy yankee mouth shut"

MNN on 6/24/19

Chump is going to tote an ass kicking nov 2020

MNN on 11/14/19

fact is it is within a year of the election, the Senate will not allow him to appoint her successor. Nov 2020 he will lose.

• Also, great rifle MiniD if I forgot to say so - I've built several pretty similar over the years, my "shooter" has a rubber, very rubbery stock right now that is overmolded big time, a $200 trigger I can't remember who I picked it up from, and decent Leup optics on it, and of course, the mandatory cheap Harris bipod and a good sling, as I end up walking a lot when ground hog blasting when I can do it. They tried to make the 25 round mags illegal up here, and are still trying to, its a grey area in a way, so my 20 of those and few drums are controversial now, but I have dozens of the 10 rounders anyhow, so NBD for varmit shooting anyway.

If I was in the USA, I'd be picking up an integral suppressed barrel for one of my 10/22s. Ruger makes them,

https://www.silencershop.com/g…l-mist-22-suppressor.html

and places like that as well sell Gemtech/etc. I've seen vids of these, super quiet with factory ammo that is just barely subsonic, perfect little rifle for low sound signature work. Having one of these could be critical in a shtf deal, as dealing with packs of wild dogs will be happening big time, not to mention being able to quietly take game and threats has all kinds of handy uses.

• That's better...

MNN on 6/18/19

"chump will assuredly lose 2020 barring an event that cancels the election - he just cant keep his scummy yankee mouth shut"

MNN on 6/24/19

Chump is going to tote an ass kicking nov 2020

MNN on 11/14/19

fact is it is within a year of the election, the Senate will not allow him to appoint her successor. Nov 2020 he will lose.

• To me....22 rifles are so quiet that mufflers seem a bit overkill... for pistols tho... the Buckmark is a great platform...

http://www.tbasuppressors.com/…Buckmark-Pistol_p_66.html

or.. .the AAC dragonfly...

http://www.smallarmsreview.com…ticle.cfm?idarticles=2121

Lots of folks make the Ruger muffled.. but for reasons I stated about the closed design it really is not the best idea for a muffler gun. What it is tho is cheap... but most of the money in an integrally silenced pistol is the work. They run around 700-900 a gun.. you might save $100 on a Ruger over a Buckmark but it is not money saved well in my opinion. \

lazs

• The big advantage with a Ruger MK/whatever suppressed pistol is being able to put your thumb on the back of the action/bolt, and keep it from ejecting and being even quieter for single shots. I have a can in the work vault for my MK3 Ruger 45/22, and it works fantastic, and an adapter for the same can for the Walther P22. I've used a 9mm can for the Sig 226/2022 on the Sig 226/22 that works great too.

.22 rifles are pretty quiet even with supersonic ammo, but that sound can carry, and I regularly can track where other shooters in my group are on the Calgary pro rodeo grounds pasture land for horses, and that's 4 sections of land all up against one another in a square, and I can hear guys in other sections shooting .22 frequently. Suppressed, with subsonic .22 rounds, 100+ yards and it starts becoming very hard to hear anything at all, even the rounds impacting.

In the USA I'd be picking up a couple of the Buckmark integral/etc canned handguns for sure. Some of the Ruger integral pistols too. I'd like a .22 like the Smith R8 or 617 revolver too with an integral suppression barrel, nobody makes one, but I know somebody that would.

• you hear all the time that revolvers can't be mufflered... barrel cylinder gap and all... Don't really know that anyone has ever tried.

Sooo.. they say the nagant can but really? that thing does not seal as well as claims for it. Now... Owning a Dan Wesson 44 got me thinking about the 22 they made.. it is a removable barrel gun just like it's big brothers... think it even uses the 357 frame. Now the cool thing is that you can adjust the BC gap. and... you can change barrels of course. Two distinct advantages in the muffler game.

On the 44 I have adjusted the gap to less than .002 (they have a feeler gauge that is .004 that comes with the gun) It will start to drag after a few cylinders tho... but... I little brass brush action on the forcing cone and front of cyl put you back in action.

Soo.. you could do the DW 22 which is a very high quality gun.... you could adjust the gap to almost zero... and have several barrels from 2" all the way to a very quiet 8" My thinking is that with plated bullets the thing would shoot several cylinders full before it took a few seconds of brushing or.... just another adjustment .

As for the Ruger... why can you hold the bolt closed on it and not on the Buckmark say? I realize that it does not have a tube bolt and has some sharp edges but why couldn't you use a gloved thumb (to be safer) to hold the slide from coming back? I have a mark 1 coming this week so will check it out.

lazs

• Newly created posts will remain inaccessible for others until approved by a moderator.

The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.