New games/DCS thread/forum

• I think I fixed it.

I opened the CH software and calibrated all the gear again, throttle, rudder pedals and Combatstick. Then after closing the software I had an epiphany so I reopened it and opened the map wizard. I didn't map any buttons, I simply selected my three pieces of gear and then saved the .map file.

After a restart of the game, and then the comp and the game...engines are rolling over just like they should be.

I've never had to use the CH manager before this. I wouldn't have even thought to download it if there had been a way to calibrate this stuff in windows.

Some of this is enough to make baby Jesus swear like a $5 whore.

*Edit* As soon as I made/saved the .map the engines rolled over w/o needing to restart the game. That said, several game reboots and one comp reboot, things are still working as they should. Coolio Hoolio.

• Your problems will come back. If it's anything like mine.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• So... Walmart had the Samsung Gear VR on clearance for $50 so I picked it up. One of the apps is a WWII flight sim (can't remember the name right off).. Very rudimentary.. you use the wand as an imaginary stick. I can't fly it for more that a few minutes before I get nauseous and cold sweats. I just can't do it.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

• Yeah?

• I bought Vives and Rifts when they first came out, quickly ditched the Vives as they were more of a cocktail party "look at this lame shit" sort of deal, while the Rifts are "serious cockpit" gamer gear...

Picked up a Samsung Odyssey used for a decent deal - mucho improvo over the Rift in terms of the resolution I find, tracks very well too, and I like the controllers, even though I don't do anything with them...I just like to play with them and stare at their pretty lights.

For VR right now the best option is the Odyssey, unless the cheaper WMR sets work as well, then they would be what I'd buy, but I'm not going to try those out when I have an Odyssey already. I'm really impressed with it, surprised by how much better it "looks" than the Rift, and the Rift is pretty decent already.

Regarding motion sickness, I've read some guys using small fans are cured of that, and if that didn't work, I'd try the motion sickness behind the ear patch or gravol pills maybe...seems like quite a pita to play games in VR, but depending on how serious you take it...

• Unfortunately, they do not make them wide enough for my eyes in my Kraut head.

Rock-Ribbed Capitalist

No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot - Mark Twain

TWAT on 10/14/2019 :

Lemme say that again... I don't care. If. The accusations against Trump. Are factual. Or not.

• At E3, while on a break between meetings, I ran into an old friend I used to work with at SCEA. He's been working the last few years for Gaijin in their QA department and said some interesting things about DCS and even AH. My experience with DCS is rather limited, I've got the game but I'm not really into the "study" flight sims anymore so I rarely play it. So it was interesting to hear him claim that DCS's flight model is really just "meh" and they hide that fact behind the "study sim" part to get players to think the flight model is realistic since a lot of the time playing is spent with the head in the cockpit hitting a lot of buttons and switches but the one thing that DCS does get right is the "cockpit simulation" of flying a jet warbird. What he said about AH was that WT's realistic mode was done to try and attract players from AH and WB but development on that part of the game has low priority since the vast majority (something like 90% of the player base) plays in the more arcade game modes of WT and Gaijin really doesn't see that much incentive to put in more resources into that part of the game. He also mentioned that those players that did come from AH and WB tend not to play in the realistic game mode but like most WT players, play in the arcade game modes.

“Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official.”

• I can believe that AkAk, particularly the part about DCS and the whole FM deal - the "pro flight model" they added to the SU27 didn't really change all that much I recall reading in one of the threads there. They have mods which make Skuzzy look libertarian, who ban people for what they say on other boards etc, and this was one such topic IIRC. If I had to bet I'd wager HTCs FM is better than DCS, just based on how neurotic/perfectionist/talented Dale/HTC is, and everything I've read about the attention to detail/etc they've put into the HTC FM.

That said, it's still a good time, not being a real pilot I'm not going to notice a FM difference really anyway, and just like the overall game experience.

RAZBAM today posted renders of their Mig23, the deal is cut as of today with DCS, that's going to be a great module, and they said their complete Mig19 will come out in 2018, as well as possibly early access F15E Strike Eagle, and/or the A6 Intruder too. Now that'll be good times. They have a South Atlantic/Falklands terrain coming out too, and the SuperTucano - if that A4E comes along, that, plus the Mirage3, and the Harrier if modded to a Brit one, could make a great terrain/theater.

I've been using the Samsung Odyssey a lot today, what an improvement over the Rift, putting all 3 Rifts up for sale on the weekend and going to buy 2 more Odysseys to replace them. Have a Vive Pro 2.0 coming, but unless it's miles better than the Odyssey, and it shouldn't be as it's the same res, I'll probably send it back. DCS + ODyssey = cat's PJs. Gonna try out the Odyssey with AH3 tonight too I think.

• The problem with DCS's flight model is that every individual plane's FM is constructed by its own code, it's own rules, and it's own data. There is no binding background physics engine that they are all built off of. On the surface this sounds bad, but with their strict quality control on approved modules, they've been rather successful about it.

As for War Thunder, while it's a fun game, the devs really have their heads up their asses. There are too many endemic problems, especially with Realistic and Sim Modes, which are driving away players. And every effort to get them to even realize that the problems exist is like pushing a rock up a hill and watching it roll back down.

Example: Years back when I was on the alpha team, myself and another spent a month documenting how the bomber damage models were several times more powerful than they should be, and their defensive guns were way more accurate, and did demonstrably more damage than they should. We collected videos of hours of tests, dozens and dozens of documents from both America and Germany.

We made it very clear to the developers that when they fixed the DM's and Guns of the bombers that they would need to immediately change the battle ratings (a number as to how all the planes are balanced against each other) so that the new, more fragile bombers would be balanced against lower power fighters.

They fixed the bombers and the guns, but they didn't change the balance. A month later, instead of changing the battle ratings, they just hard-rolled back the changes to the old system. And to this day, YEARS later, basically every bomber is a gun ship death star capable of literally (and I do mean literally) severing a wing with a single bullet from 1400 yards away.

• I've been using the Samsung Odyssey a lot today, what an improvement over the Rift, putting all 3 Rifts up for sale on the weekend and going to buy 2 more Odysseys to replace them. Have a Vive Pro 2.0 coming, but unless it's miles better than the Odyssey, and it shouldn't be as it's the same res, I'll probably send it back. DCS + ODyssey = cat's PJs. Gonna try out the Odyssey with AH3 tonight too I think.

What are your thoughts on Pimax 8k? I have been waiting on VR until I felt it was ready for prime time.