New games/DCS thread/forum

• It should be better than the 120C... Its longer, wider and almost a third heavier, and a decade newer. This Paki-jet and its weapons are the most modern in the game.

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see.” -- Ayn Rand

• The TWS works really well in the JF17 - funny how it works right out of the box while we still don't have it for the Hornet and the F16's is still in the teething phase.

One thing I've noticed about the 17 - the gun is very difficult to employ vs other fighters. The gun instead of having an upward cant has a downward one (unsure whey they did this..). This means you need a ridiculous amount of lead to hit anything, and that makes the radar gunsite useless IMO - just shooting using the cross as a reference has yielded better results. That and the gun is offset WAY to the left side, at least in terms of where the stream comes out in your HUD, which you have to take into account in your aiming hold as well. The 23mm do decent damage at least, but nearly every good guns kill I've made have been nose on nose close crossing shots in one circle type fights, instead of being saddled up and putting the pipper on the threat's head, like you do with most other types in the game.

What a great module, didn't think anything would top the F14 this year so far for me, but Deka has tied it at least, even though the Tomcat is infinitely more complex, the JF17 has been released so close to complete...hard not to like it. Deka staff have a superb attitude on their sub forum as well, sort of like an inverse HTC is a good way to describe it, and it's paying off IMO with the number of people posting in a positive manner. They have a thread already going gangbusters listing all the things they'll be fixing this week already (mainly bugs, keybinds, stuff like that).

Even though the JF17 isn't a "Chinese" fighter per se, it was built and designed by the Chinese in large part, and I'm really hopeful that this Deka design team will build some Chinese red air planes next, since we're never going to get full fidelity Russian ones due to classification/etc issues. The J10 variants, J16, J8, J7...so many options out there - not that Deka needs to be pigeon holed into just red air, I'd buy anything they make.

• Perhaps designed for ground support?

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• The gun angle issue must be because unlike on US jets where the gun is mouthed in the wing root, on the JF-17 it is underneath the fuselage. That drooping nose must be in the way. Btw. where are these Deka guys from anyways, Pakistan, China?

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see.” -- Ayn Rand

• I think Deka Ironworks is based mainly in Beijing, but I know they have very, very fluent English speakers working for them. One is an obviously Mandarin speaking Chinese woman who does videos on their YT channel, the other sounds either American/Canadian neutral accent, and does the same, and has said he works for them as a programmer in vids. Their websites/social media mainly has Beijing listed, but I'm not 100% if that's their entire team or what.

• And yes, I think you're both probably right regarding the 23mm canon, a function of both design necessity/location of the gun, as well as perhaps it being set up for optimal angle for popping crunchies on the ground. It's a shame though, as this fighter can really hang in there - I had a Mig29 dead to rights and kept him there, good pilot too, he couldn't shake me off no matter what he tried, but I just couldn't get a gun solution as I would have to pull SO far up into the HUD that he was buried somewhere down where the left MFD was, hah. It's literally that bad regarding how much lead you have to pull at typical ranges. It's only when your target tries to set up a scissors and cuts back across your nose that you get a shot, that or as I said before, nose on nose in a one circle fight that's close in terms of rate/radius.

That all said, it shows how accurate Deka has modeled this thing, as this is a typical complaint from the real pilots according to some guys posting from Pakistan on the forum.

• Pfft. Bunch of Aces High Veterans complaining about having to bury the target under the dashboard to get the right gun lead solution?

I was thinking the same thing.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

• LOL. No doubt.

If you flew the JF17 though, you'd understand what I'm saying, this isn't the typical lead pull/estimate length like Aces High, it's 4x further of a distance you have to lead, not to mention the targets can be moving 2 or 3x faster usually. AH gunnery skill translates a bit to DCS, but only a bit, and that's with DCS planes with really good air to air gunnery capability.

• How the fuck do you guys have time for all of this shit??

• We all know you're not going to do that.

• Dangerous Waters is the all time best naval sim imo. I was a little disappointed with Cold Waters but my experience with Red Storm Rising back in the 80's may have set my expectations too high. If these guys can recreate a sim close to what Sonalysts did with Dangerous Waters they'll have a winner.

• And don't give me any shit about playing too much. Anyone who ever got half way decent in Aces High had a lot of spare time.