Canada likely getting Super Hornets

• For now at least, an interim buy until the "decision" is made, which could end up being anything from the F35 to the Gripen. I bet we end up just buying more SuperHornets, why buy 18 and then have to re equip and retrain for an entirely new type. While not as advanced as the F35, Canada doesn't really need that 1st day of war stealth or the expense, plus having Supers allows us to deploy our guys with the USN and be compatible on joint missions with the USN/USA in the future. Our guys are already spun up on the CF18 which is like an A model turned into a C, sort of at least. Serenity told me over at HTC that their guys could and were trained to fly both the C and E/F models at will pretty much, they could transition almost instantly in a pinch, so our guys should be able to keep costs and time down converting to the SH.

Having the 2 seat models will be nice for long range NORAD patrols, and obviously training, and we are possibly looking at some Growlers as well if the "big" buy just turns out to be SHs, which IMO it's obviously going to with 18 new planes and 6 billion being spent on the interim contract. All our CF18 weapons will work, and we can keep the CF18 fleet going as long as possible until the SHs all roll in, keeping our 4 squadrons and training squadron (4!!! good god) going.

https://www.thestar.com/news/c…at-523b-us-to-canada.html

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/…billion-super-hornet-deal

Here are more specific details about what Canada gets for $5.23 billion U.S.:

“The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of Canada of ten (10) F/A-18E Super Hornet aircraft, with F414-GE-400 engines; eight (8) F/A-18F Super Hornet aircraft, with F414-GE-400 engines; eight (8) F414-GE-400 engine spares; twenty (20) AN/APG-79 Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radars; twenty (20) M61A2 20MM gun systems; twenty-eight (28) AN/ALR-67(V)3 Electronic Warfare Countermeasures Receiving Sets; fifteen (15) AN/AAQ-33 Sniper Advanced Targeting Pods; twenty (20) Multifunctional Information Distribution Systems–Joint Tactical Radio System (MIDS-JTRS); thirty (30) Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing Systems (JHMCS); twenty-eight (28) AN/ALQ-214 Integrated Countermeasures Systems; one hundred thirty (130) LAU-127E/A and or F/A Guided Missile Launchers; twenty-two (22) AN/AYK-29 Distributed Targeting System (DTS); twenty-two (22) AN/AYK-29 Distributed Targeting Processor (DTP); one hundred (100) AIM-9X-2 Sidewinder Block II Tactical Missiles; thirty (30) AIM-9X-2 Sidewinder Block II Captive Air Training Missiles (CATM); eight (8) AIM-9X-2 Sidewinder Block II Special Air Training Missiles (NATM); twenty (20) AIM-9X-2 Sidewinder Block II Tactical Guidance Units; sixteen (16) AIM-9X-2 Sidewinder Block II CATM Guidance Units.

Also included in this sale are AN/AVS-9 Night Vision Goggles (NVG); AN/ALE-47 Electronic Warfare Countermeasures Systems; AN/ARC-210 Communication System; AN/APX-111 Combined Interrogator Transponder; AN/ALE-55 Towed Decoys; Joint Mission Planning System (JMPS); AN/PYQ-10C Simple Key Loader (SKL); Data Transfer Unit (DTU); Accurate Navigation (ANAV) Global Positioning System (GPS) Navigation; KIV-78 Duel Channel Encryptor, Identification Friend or Foe (IFF); CADS/PADS; Instrument Landing System (ILS); Aircraft Armament Equipment (AAE); High Speed Video Network (HSVN) Digital Video Recorder (HDVR); Launchers (LAU-115D/A, LAU-116B/A, LAU-118A); flight test services; site survey; aircraft ferry; auxiliary fuel tanks; aircraft spares; containers; storage and preservation; transportation; aircrew and maintenance training; training aids and equipment, devices and spares and repair parts; weapon system support and test equipment; technical data Engineering Change Proposals; technical publications and documentation; software; avionics software support; software development/integration; system integration and testing; U.S. Government and contractor engineering technical and logistics support; Repair of Repairable (RoR); repair and return warranties; other technical assistance and support equipment; and other related elements of logistics and program support. The estimated total case value is $5.23 billion.”

• We've been using them for six or seven years as a replacement for the F-111. A bit of a different job description but they do alright. They are supposed to be replaced by F-35s as they become operational. I reckon keep them running too along with our smaller Hornets.

You can identify an unknown force by firing one shot and judging the response.

- If the unknowns respond with precise, regimented rifle fire, they are British.

- If they respond with heavy machinegun fire, they are German.

- If nothing happens for a few minutes, then your whole position gets leveled by artillery, they are American.

- If they surrender, they're French.

:littlered

• Canada has the best PR. Seldom do we hear about the front lines and offensives these kanukians are involved in.

We just go about doing the job. No need to boost fragile egos.

Trump: “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” 3:01PM Nov. 8 2013

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" ~ Abe Lincoln

tRump is the Master of the Con with 70 years of practice/experience. It is sad that so many supposedly intelligent and educated people fall for his cons.

DJ Trump: while I support the Dems, if I ran I would run as a Republican because those people are easy to fool.

• We just go about doing the job. No need to boost fragile egos.

Au contraire Mon fraire.

You missed the point entirely.

Wheras Murica gets raked over the coals for having 3 empirical front lines, Kanuckistan hides their involvement.

I'm not complaining about it. I think it's fucking brilliant.

Murica doesn't brag. Thats kanuckian spin.

Also brilliant. But wrong.

• There is a lot of bragging on this board.

Trump: “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” 3:01PM Nov. 8 2013

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" ~ Abe Lincoln

tRump is the Master of the Con with 70 years of practice/experience. It is sad that so many supposedly intelligent and educated people fall for his cons.

DJ Trump: while I support the Dems, if I ran I would run as a Republican because those people are easy to fool.

• There is a lot of bragging on this board.

Lol. The whitehouse rarely says "In your FACE, motherfucker...we just droned three villages into oblivion and wiped out 2400 people to get TWO Al Queda leaders! Stick that in your pipe and SMOKE IT!".

No. It's "were horrified at the collateral damage, but we believe liquidated terrorists justify the cost..."

• MNN would make a great canadian sympathizer.. to him... greatness means politeness.... I mean from everyone but him and his preacher that is.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• I watched a great documentary on the last year of so of the RAAF's F111 program, a female navigator was one of the subjects. Great airplane, the USAF guys like Eagl and others I've talked too all say that once it was retired it's capability of all weather long range heavy strike was never replaced, not even the F15E can do all that the F111 could. Expensive to maintain though.

We could end up with the F35 still - a good high school friend is the CO of our test squadron now and has flown many of the NATO inventory fighters, and did the entire training program down in the USA for the F35 already. I doubt it now though, again, why buy nearly 20 fighters of just one type, and then switch to 65 Gripen, Rafale, or some other type. The SH has a bit of L/O tech in it, a great radar, compatible with our weapons stockpiles, adding in the newer Aim9x2 models - which hopefully won't go for 1970s flares as it did vs the SU22 recently - they'll work ok up here. Another thing to consider is our small but entire air refueling capacity is all set up for the Hornets, and therefore the SH, already. Changing to a different method would be a giant PITA with the F35, unless we bought the B or C model, which = no internal gun.

• I think it's awesome that Canadialand is finally stepping up to defend themselves.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

• Defend ourselves from whom?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!