Court in Georgia

• Tray tray was not the same in my opinion. A VERY important distinction was that the 'vigilantes' were an organized group with the blessing of the neighborhood. Seems a minor distinction but it is not. The home owners gave them permission to confront trespassers/thugs.

They were an organized group that patrolled the area at the behest of home owners. When trey trey was confronted for being where he should not be? he attacked. He actually had the guy down on the ground and it was a kill or be killed situation. The 'vigilante' in this case had the blessing of the homeowner. Not sure the Georgia thing went down like that.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• In the Saint Kyle situation the car lot owner asked him and others to protect his property. this was not why Saint Kyle shot tho. It never came down to that. No one died because they were attacking property Saint Kyle did not own.

lazs

• I'm not saying that. However I don't think that being followed by somebody warrants and attack and grabbing someone's gun which is a life-threatening maneuver.

Gregory said he was in his yard when he saw an unidentified man running by. He said he recognized the man from a prior incident "the other night", when he said he saw the man reach into his pants as if for a weapon. He called to his son Travis and said "the guy is running down the street; let's go". Gregory brought a .357 Magnum revolver, while Travis brought a shotgun in their pickup truck. The McMichaels said they pursued the man because he resembled a suspect in a string of local burglaries. But the police said there had been only one recent theft from an unlocked car in the neighborhood.

Travis attempted to cut off the man with his truck. The man turned and began "running back in the direction from which he came". The report states a third person, who was identified as "Roddy [sic]", also tried to cut off the man, but failed. Gregory said he saw the unidentified man and yelled: "Stop, stop, we want to talk to you", and that they pulled up to the man, with Travis exiting the truck with the shotgun in hand. Gregory claimed the man "began to violently attack Travis" before two shots were fired. The man died at the scene after "bleeding out", the report concluded. Authorities later identified the man as Arbery.

So 2 vehicles pursuing and cutting off a suspect is not following. It's a little more... determined... than that.

• Slam... that is exactly how I see it. further evidence may change my mind but the basic thing is? they were all idiots.

I think it will happen more now tho. Negros thinking they are untouchable meeting with armed white guys and gals.

lazs

I'm very open to change my opinion and I'll be the first to admit I have not followed that case closely at all.

• Afaik there was no mention of it being a citizen's arrest.

There sure was at the trial. This is what spins it completely different... or at least different enough than a simple self defense argument.

It is one that is difficult to judge without all the facts, for sure. I still lean towards manslaughter, but am very lean on what was argued in regards to a citizen's arrest.

• There sure was at the trial. This is what spins it completely different... or at least different enough than a simple self defense argument.

It is one that is difficult to judge without all the facts, for sure. I still lean towards manslaughter, but am very lean on what was argued in regards to a citizen's arrest.

No mention of CA to the victim during the event that led to the shooting.

• I ask again. What are you supposed to do in the situation that the defendant was in? What would you do? Let the guy take your gun?

Just because the other guy decided to physically attack you?

It is my opinion that they put the black guy in a situation where his only defense was to attack; his attack was a defensive measure.

If you chase a badger into a corner he’s going to attack you.

If you want to plead self-defense don’t be the aggressor. I think the guys with the guns in the pick up were aggressors.

• Couple of things.... Apparently Georgia does not have degrees of murder as such. they are based on 'malice'

I repeat. Everyone involved was a total idiot. Of course the negro was a criminal an they knew it. Of course there was no evidence of any crime and the idiots should not be chasing someone while armed and threatening.

Sooo... the prosecution.... the fine young cannibal was fleeing armed rednecks for his life. Once cornered? he had no choice but attack. Not really what happened but no way for the defense to prove otherwise.

lazs

• The Prosecutor grilled the redneck shooter and he said CA was not mentioned when confronting the victim.

There is a reason they were asking about CA. The whole event happened very fast and there didn't seem to be much discussion at all. The CA came up when talking to a police officer about robberies in the area and what they could do about it.

Once again... you just can't know the entire set of circumstances. I heard a lawyer discussing this who thought this would be open and shut manslaughter.

• I bet at least a couple of the jurors have gone into a house under construction in their neighborhood to check it out. I bet none of em have been chased by gun toting rednecks in cars and had their escape route cut off.

That is how it is gonna play out. right or wrong.

What pisses me off is that these guys are gonna get convicted of something. And then? the fucking 'protesters' will claim victory because they threatened us white debils and we blinked.

lazs

• based on the video I saw the jogger was not cornered at all and he flew around the front of a truck to attack the guy with a gun.

Testimony of the chasers says that they tried to cut him off twice.

If your avenue of escape Is compromised then you are “cornered”

• Yep... on the miniature ones saying we need to see more evidence. But in my opinion when you are the aggressor you lose some of your self defense argument.

Someone goes into a mall and starts waving a gun around and so some guy grabs at the gun and gets shot. self defense? depends.

lazs

• I completely agree, Laz. I'm leaning towards manslaughter. We just seldom see a situation that's coupled to "citizen's arrest". I just don't think we have enough information to know how that impacts things.

The Trevon Martin trial was tied to stand your ground laws, even though the kid was being chased (very similar to this).

• Here is the Georgia laws on such..... a bit different than some other states but it is clear that we should at least all be on the same page (so to speak)

lazs

Homicide in Georgia

Homicide is a broad term that encompasses any killing of another human being unless legally justified. It can include murder or manslaughter, depending on the actions and state of mind of the perpetrator. All homicide crimes are very serious. Therefore, if you have been accused or are a suspect in a homicide investigation, you need the help of Canton, Georgia homicide attorney Jeff Heller to protect your rights during any investigation or trial.

Murder in Georgia

Murder is the most severe homicide crime. While many states divide murder into degrees, Georgia law only recognizes one degree of murder. Any murder in Georgia carries a minimum sentence of life in prison. More severe penalties include life without parole or death. A person commits murder in Georgia when he or she illegally kills another person under any of several circumstances:

• The person acted intending to kill another.
    • The person acted with depraved disregard for human life. For example, firing a gun into a house or vehicle the person knows to be occupied.
    • The person kills another while committing a felony such as robbery. In this case, the killing need not be intentional.