teachers need purging.

• Mostly made up story:

"When I was a kid, I had a choice of taking college prep classes or taking trades / shop classes. My dad, who worked maintenance, breaking his back 48 hours a week and always smelled faintly of old oil and sweat even right after his 30 minute showers, gave his advice: Your brain is big enough you should make something of yourself. You can always hire someone to turn a wrench.

"Besides this, the kids taking the shop classes tended to be the farmers' kids and jocks, who as a side profession also liked to extort the smaller kids of their lunch money. One tried to take my lunch money once. I wasn't so small that he pressed matters when I told him "no," but I also wasn't big and tough enough to not be looking over my shoulder for him for the next four years. Point being, Dad's advice sounded better as these kids aren't who I wanted to be like.

"College prep courses lead to University, which lead to a desk job, which resulted in a small measure of "success" as some define it. And yes, I hired people to turn a wrench any time I needed it.

"A day came when I needed a hot water heater installed, and the owner-operator we hired looked rather familiar. But it didn't occur to me from where until I got the bill and I saw the 'serviced by' name on the receipt under the LLC name. And then looked at the service charge, and it also occurred to me . . .

"SOB finally got my lunch money."

Brauno in a previous life, followed by LTARget. E25280 on the Forum.

SWtarget in last AH in game incarnation.

"Proudly drawing fire so my brothers may pass unharmed."

Brauno in World of Tanks.

"What is, is. What was, will be. What will be, was, but will be again." - Horseshack from Welcome Back Kotter

• SW... I can give you a real totally true scenario. My daughter is a felon. She is also an accountant was close to being one. she can't work in that trade in any capacity. Trump (his daughter actually) was a huge proponent of trade schools.

My daughter took a welding trade school. it was less than $7k which we gladly paid. she finished top of her class and was hired by a huge fabrication firm. It is a union shop and she wanted to get in as an apprentice. She had no real world welding but like I said... she was top of the class and certified in everything but underwater. Soooo they made her test. When the test was over one of the owners had her cut open welds on the desk.... he said "fuck this... hire her as a journeyman" They do aerospace stuff also. When they want to impress a client they have her do the welds. Several people on this board helped her get where she is... with advise and actual tools.... and I am grateful

Trump was right.... Trade schools are where it is at for most of the people who are going to college just to fail.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• It's a fantastic story Lazs, and I hope she enjoys what she does. As I've gotten older and hopefully a small amount wiser, all those things I was told to believe as a child seem so off base. Something just as basic as how you define "success." Back then it was (and still is now to a large degree) about what kind of income you could get and how impressed people would be when you could tell them what you did or what title you had in your company.

Of what value is any of that if you end up overstressed and miserable?

And what is overstressed and miserable to one person might be fun and exciting to someone else. Each should find their own and not be pressured into one path or another.

If it keeps food on the table and a roof over the head, and you aren't miserable doing it, and you don't feel so bad that you make other people around you miserable as well, that's good enough. If you are actually happy with what you are doing, and can bring joy to those around you, that's a fantastic success story.

Brauno in a previous life, followed by LTARget. E25280 on the Forum.

SWtarget in last AH in game incarnation.

"Proudly drawing fire so my brothers may pass unharmed."

Brauno in World of Tanks.

"What is, is. What was, will be. What will be, was, but will be again." - Horseshack from Welcome Back Kotter

• I for sure agree. I have been extremely blessed in my life. One thing tho is that I have never really cared about money that much. Don't get me wrong.... I want to live the life I want... but my 'needs' are not that much. If you see my home and cars etc... the things people look at...you would think I made half what I do make. I just don't care about most things others do. I like old stuff... cars... guns.... Harleys even pencil sharpeners and can openers LOL.... Old tools... some new.

Funny story... My daughter used to say I spent too much time in the garage. Now when she comes here she spends half the time in my garage trying to get this or that tool away from me. People would say I spent too much time on guns and handloading ammo.... well.. you can guess how that is going for them now!

I don't think that money is the root of all evil. I think money is good. It is how you use it and think about it that makes it good or evil.

lazs

• A brief synopsis of why I like being a maintenance shitbird at age 44.

I made an art of fucking up from 29 to 43.

I dropped out my junior year in high school and Lsu was a shit enougj university to take my SAT score and let me bang my high school girl until she saw the light and moved back to Assiville and my mad ched.

Before I cut the diploma potential, I managed large accounts of inventory across the country on a daily basis with production scheduling, storage at the plant, shipping, delivery, etc.

Our main focus was high end bakery packaging. 8 color, metalics, fast turn around for promotions that the large volume companies couldn't do.

I was on call in Dallas with the plant in Indiana, the customers from both coasts, the art department taking customer requests to doable finals, ordering engravings and rushing production.

I had a pager, a pewter, and wore a tie when I had to geaux to the office. I didn't really know how I worked the system so well to drop the 24 hr thing, but be able to work at home thing as well as I did in the late 90s. Nah. I do know. It just happened.

You ever call yellow freight back in the day and have a girl there that tells you her issues so she doesnt have to take the randoms. I had a line with all the frieght companies that was reliable and personal and a relief for them because it was a two way street from the top down that they would do our shit and we would pay. Asswipes used to like that synergy word that is like an ice pick in my 20 yr old Assi brain.

It was a niche market in bakery packaging.

I traveled across the country playing golf, getting paid way to much, and generally wishing I was doing something with my hands.

Before I was 30 while my fiance was scratching her head, I thought I found my calling. I quit smoking weed, went to school for my EMT cert, went to the fire academy and excelled, and got my DWI after taking a mormon 19 yr old Utah kid from my class home from my fiance's party after he puked. The party was a splt between my fiance's school teacher friends and a bunch on nurI got pulled over because he threw a bottle at another car and hit it. The guy followed me after I dropped him off at the Plano Collin county campus. The officers that pulled me over and fucked with me for an hour never mentioned a road rage incident. They just acted like the puled me over at random. When they did ask why I would tell them who was in the car earlier, I balked. We had just had several guys speak to us about camaraderie....the main reason I wanted into the fire department.

Oh well.

My point is that I basically drive the zamboni now.

Life is good. I eat like I did when I was 18, and Im probably stronger and I know I put it too it better.

But I am just a maintenance guy that gets smiles when I geaux in everyday.

• Yeah.. I get that. I have known and worked with rich people all my life. I bet I am even less in love with money than you are.

lazs

I won't take that bet. I love money too much. You know nothing about the hardships I and my kids have endured and I'm glad those are behind us. I'm chalking up your bitterness to the bottle. I'm not belittling you in this. I've been there.

• I don't know if it's accurate but here's partial results from a search of all the forums by all users with the word vouchers sorted by earliest to oldest. I know you advocated for them a long time ago lazs. So did Toad. So did I. So did others.

• I talked about vouchers often on the old site - which is apparently dead again.

“Everyone should do all in his power to collect and disseminate the truth, in the hope that it may find a place in history and descend to posterity. History is not the relation of campaigns and battles and generals or other individuals, but that which shows the principles for which the South contended and which justified her struggle for those principles. ” - Robert E. Lee

• Iron seriously.... why do you think I am bitter? I have said over and over that I am blessed. I am one of the luckiest people I know. just because I don't love money and am uncomfortable around people who do?

Don't care about new furniture or whatever. I will be able to afford a nice meet and greet with people on this board... a real once in a lifetime thing imo.... will cost me maybe $1-2k I can afford that. Gina will tell you I do these things a couple times a year.... great fun. Go to Scotland and rent a car and just drive around. Can't afford to do a cruise every few months and don't care to. Work on my old truck and Harley.

Most of my friends are very successful. They try to 'help' me get my shit in order. Most have given up and just accept me for the idiot I am.... on the other end of the scale a lot of my friends are broke as can be. I help when I can and.... well... too hard to explain.

Point is I suppose that people are different. My place is a place where friends and family just walk through the front door and go to the fridge to get a beer... or just come by with bags of fast food to share lunch. No one I know thinks I am bitter.

lazs

• Talk about your delayed reaction. You went off on me out of proportion to anything that was said.

• You said I was bitter and a drunk. Pretty hard to take that out of proportion. you also said you love money.. either you do or you do not.

My life would not suit you... and most certainly yours would not suit mine. I would never say tho that I have had hardships that made me know things others could not. Closest I come to that is saying that "I already been where you are but you have not been where I am yet"

I am pretty mellow as a person. I am not jealous of anyone really... I love to see people do well. I love to see people stay married for 50 years and have children that are doing well... Where it comes apart in most cases is when they think that what makes them happy should make me happy. I don't want to wake up to the same woman every day for 50 years.... my loss right? I am good with that. Working on a gun at the kitchen table is better than remodeling the kitchen for me.

LOL.... several of my friends are ex AF.... For some reason that service makes em the most anal people on the planet. My house and garage is a complete horror show for them... They can barely contain themselves from arranging things in an 'organized manner' Takes em a few years to relax.... to walk in without knocking and grab a beer.

lazs

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!